Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times

Advertisements

I just recently tried wifi again after many disappointing attempts and I have to say this time is no different. I moved a computer to another part of the room where I didn't want to run a wire so I picked up a PCIe wifi card. Its a D-link 802.11n Xtreme card (4/5 rated on Newegg) just like my router. My LAN throughput is now a blistering 3MB/sec. And it needs to be kicked in the butt to connect upon waking the computer. Brilliant. That's OK for web browsing but useless for file transfers or media streaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I just recently tried wifi again after many disappointing attempts and I have to say this time is no different. I moved a computer to another part of the room where I didn't want to run a wire so I picked up a PCIe wifi card. Its a D-link 802.11n Xtreme card (4/5 rated on Newegg) just like my router. My LAN throughput is now a blistering 3MB/sec. And it needs to be kicked in the butt to connect upon waking the computer. Brilliant. That's OK for web browsing but useless for file transfers or media streaming.
Then you've configured something wrong. I'm sorry, but unless there is a lot of interference between you and the router, there is no way you would be transmitting at 3 unless you have something set up wrong. I use a Cisco Aironet 1250 (yes, I'm that much of a nerd to where my home network looks like it's a company) going to other wireless n cards, and my typical throughput is anywhere from 200-270 Mbps internally and the full 50 Mbps externally. The reason for the slow external speed is because that's all the bandwidth I'm given by my ISP, thus making them the bottleneck.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Then you've configured something wrong. I'm sorry, but unless there is a lot of interference between you and the router, there is no way you would be transmitting at 3 unless you have something set up wrong. I use a Cisco Aironet 1250 (yes, I'm that much of a nerd to where my home network looks like it's a company) going to other wireless n cards, and my typical throughput is anywhere from 200-270 Mbps internally and the full 50 Mbps externally. The reason for the slow external speed is because that's all the bandwidth I'm given by my ISP, thus making them the bottleneck.
Well tell me what I could have possibly mis-configured considering the driver doesn't really give many options.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:55 AM

My guess is your issue is with the router, not with the actual NIC card. And again, you can't completely discount the fact that you might have some thermographic issues to contend with or other RF interference that is inhibiting your throughput. Also of note is whether there are other devices connected to the WAP and what frequency and band (a/b/g/n) those devices are using. Do you have CMSA/CA enabled? There are a lot of possible culprits, but transmitting at 3 is clearly an issue with either hardware or configuration, not a limitation of the technology itself.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 AM

I never said it was transmitting at 3. It says its linked at 130Mbit but the actual throughput while copying a file is only 3MB/sec or less. Both ends are 802.11n, latest firmware and drivers and no other wireless devices in use.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM

Again, there's a bottleneck somewhere. If it's not in the router (and I think it is), then it has to do with how the data is being transmitted over the RF. Something isn't right with your configuration, though. Unless (and this is a longshot unless you're using old technologies) the bottleneck are your actual devices themselves, not being able to process the transfer any faster than they are.

My advice to you is to start by examining the data transfer to see if the session is windowing properly, and if it is to then make sure that you aren't getting a lot of re-send requests. There are a million things it could be, but this is the place to start.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
If this is a desktop, I suggest a wifi card with an external antenna connected via a wire. Most wifi cards use an antenna attached to the card, which means it is near the floor, and surrounded by the metal chassis of the computer. If the computer chassis is between the antenna and the router, signal quality may be poor. An external antenna can be placed in a better location.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
There are some good comments, here.

What especially got my attention was the were the two plug-in gadgets, one where the router is plugged in and the other where your computer is.

The other was a "cookie sheet" made of aluminum that sits under the router.

Also, in the actual article, there is a program that helps you to change channels and so forth.

One guy said he lived in an apartment complex where most people had channel 6 or channel 11. He changed his channel to 1 and had a nice signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers