Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 AM

862 posts, read 3,552,691 times

Advertisements

So I set up an account for my children last night. I have Vista. I didn't change any other settings. As of now, the owner account password isn't working. I have double and triple checked the password. The caps lock isn't on. I had no idea about making a recovery disk for the password until now. Is there any way I can fix this without messing up my programs and files?

I'm typing this from my laptop because I can't access any websites through the kids account other than the ones I allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Start in Safe Mode

Start your computer in safe mode

Log in using Administrator. Unless you added a password the Administrator account does not have one so just click on the icon. You can access the other accounts and get things fixed.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Start in Safe Mode

Start your computer in safe mode

Log in using Administrator. Unless you added a password the Administrator account does not have one so just click on the icon. You can access the other accounts and get things fixed.

This isn't possible since I an unable to access windows as the owner. The kids account isn't able to make these changes to the computer without the owner password.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM

False Alarm!

After telling my husband about the situation, I find out that he spilled hot chocolate on my keyboard this morning! (after telling him over and over NOT to drink his hot beverages at my desk) The keyboard is the reason why the password didn't work. I had a spare keyboard from my old system I kept around exactly for incidents like this.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 PM

964 posts, read 2,649,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
False Alarm!

After telling my husband about the situation, I find out that he spilled hot chocolate on my keyboard this morning! (after telling him over and over NOT to drink his hot beverages at my desk) The keyboard is the reason why the password didn't work. I had a spare keyboard from my old system I kept around exactly for incidents like this.
I'll add "Verify no hot chocolate was spilled on keyboard" to my recommended troubleshooting procedure.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM

So you log in using the Administrator account? I would recommend you create a separate account and reserve the Administrator account for administrative duties...

And don't let your husband use your computer ever again. Hot chocolate no less and he didn't have the nerve to tell you. Nice move, dude!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Hot chocolate....haha, too funny!

Quote:
Hot chocolate no less and he didn't have the nerve to tell you. Nice move, dude!
Tek, you are mad at him because he spilled the hot chocolate and didn't tell her, or, because he drank the whole thing himself and didn't share or made some for her?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hot chocolate....haha, too funny!

Tek, you are mad at him because he spilled the hot chocolate and didn't tell her, or, because he drank the whole thing himself and didn't share or made some for her?
Ha, ha. Wrong assumptions are being made here. In all fairness to my dear H, the reason he didn't tell me was because I was asleep when it happened (he was going to wake me, but didn't) and then he was asleep when I discovered the problem. He was extremely apologetic and vowed to replace my destroyed keyboard as soon as he could.

BTW, I hate hot beverages.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Assumptions made are oft wrong - but much more interesting than the truth.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Ha, ha. Wrong assumptions are being made here. In all fairness to my dear H, the reason he didn't tell me was because I was asleep when it happened (he was going to wake me, but didn't) and then he was asleep when I discovered the problem. He was extremely apologetic and vowed to replace my destroyed keyboard as soon as he could.
No assumptions, just silly jokes and jesting, typically harmless 99% of the time unless provoked.

[/quote]BTW, I hate hot beverages.[/quote]Even in the Winter time? You an interesting kind indeed.

Quote:
Assumptions made are oft wrong - but much more interesting than the truth.
Speaking of 'interesting kind of people', Tek what is this 'oft' thing, short for 'often' or is it something that my weakening English language skill failed to see? If it was indeed 'often' then shame on you! You couldn't type 2 more letters to make it right?

I hope I wasn't being too cranky, just kidding as usual.
There is construction happening around my apartment building and b@st@rds keep waking me up early in the morning even on my off days.

I even threw one of my slippers to shut them up but didn't help, now I am limping around with a single slipper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers