Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

I have to inform someone that, because of liability issues, they cannot park on my premise anymore. I'd like to do it by email because it is easier than sending a notarized letter. Does an email on my end create a record that something was indeed mailed to her? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I have to inform someone that, because of liability issues, they cannot park on my premise anymore. I'd like to do it by email because it is easier than sending a notarized letter. Does an email on my end create a record that something was indeed mailed to her? Thanks for any advice.
No, what you need is called a Certified Letter. The individual has to sign for it, which gives you proof it was received.

Otherwise you could try to get this person to respond to your email, which could prove they received and read it. Not sure that this will do anything for you in court, if that's where you think this is headed.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,769,802 times
Quote:
Because there are liability issues, I'd go with the notarized letter. It's just worth the effort, and besides, has a more serious effect on the person receiving it.

With email, you probably would not even be able to prove the person received and read it.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Because there are liability issues, I'd go with the notarized letter. It's just worth the effort, and besides, has a more serious effect on the person receiving it.

With email, you probably would not even be able to prove the person received and read it.
A notarized letter won't do anything either. The notary is just going to sign that the OP signed the letter in their presence. This doesn't prove that the recipient received it or read it. If you think the recipient is going to go sign your letter in front of a notary, you must see some way to coerce them that you are leaving out.

Seriously, just use a Certified Letter from the Post Office, they sign to receive the letter and it will probably cost you $4.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post

It's thorny because she's a very good neighbor in a very neighbor-friendly neighborhood and is very fond of my mother and vice-versa. A notarized letter might be overkill; the ins. co. told me they aren't even requesting proof of informing her, and I'd like to keep it as simple and friendly as possible. I'm puzzled because Wikileaks is producing all these emails that were secretly mailed. Doesn't that give some indication that emails are tracked somehow? Usually, if I email someone I can I can print out a copy showing that I send that email to them if the email is a working address. I'm going to call her anyway and inform her of the situation and let her know that, per the ins. co.'s advice, I send her an email. I know she'll be very understanding about the matter, but I'd just like to have something in print showing that I also informed her in writing.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
If the person ignores your email and continues to park there ultimately, you have some kind of consequences in mind such as towing the vehicle, etc. If you do this and the person says... "I never got an email from you" then YOU could be liable to pay towing charges plus damages if they decide to sue you.

This is one time when you cannot go the "easy" route and must man up and send this letter via certified mail with return receipt requested. Then you have the PROOF that they had been notified and continued to park there despite knowing that they should not.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM

But doesn't sending an email create some kind of record that can be retrieved?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
I'm puzzled because Wikileaks is producing all these emails that were secretly mailed. Doesn't that give some indication that emails are tracked somehow?
Depends on how they are stored/retrieved etc. For example you're email provider like an ISP usually has POP accounts. The email is stored on the ISP's server until you retrieve it thorough email client like outlook. Once retrieved it's deleted on the ISP's server and the only copy is the one you have. If they offer IMAP the email is stored on their server and remains there, the benefit here is you can access it from any computer. Web based email is pretty much the same thing as IMAP.

Of course you can't guarantee its been deleted....

As far as the wikileaks documents go I believe government agencies operate under strict rules where all those emails are saved.

In any event a printed copy, electronic copy or any type of copy is not going to hold up in court in most cases but it can easily be edited.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends on how they are stored/retrieved etc. For example you're email provider like an ISP usually has POP accounts. The email is stored on the ISP's server until you retrieve it thorough email client like outlook. Once retrieved it's deleted on the ISP's server and the only copy is the one you have. If they offer IMAP the email is stored on their server and remains there, the benefit here is you can access it from any computer. Web based email is pretty much the same thing as IMAP.

Of course you can't guarantee its been deleted....

As far as the wikileaks documents go I believe government agencies operate under strict rules where all those emails are saved.

In any event a printed copy, electronic copy or any type of copy is not going to hold up in court in most cases but it can easily be edited.
Thank you very much for that helpful information, coalman.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
All they have to say is that they automatically delete all email from unknown parties without reading, which in fact is something I do, if it makes it through my spam and junk filters.

Prove they read it you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers