Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 PM

253 posts, read 1,306,337 times

Advertisements

The guy in the sales office said that the company comes out and just turns on a switch in a centrally located box, and I have wireless access. But when I called Comcast, they said I need to buy a modem. If my laptop has wireless access, and the buildings are already wired for wireless, why do I need a modem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
I'd guess that the wireless access is through someone else's modem, and that could be Comcast, Qwest DSL, or an alternative. Solution: don't get Comcast internet until you have reason to.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:13 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
Most likely he meant the Apt is Internet ready either with DSL (phone jack) or cable - You will probably still need to sign up with a broadband provider who should provide you with a modem if not then they are not too expensive. To then have a wireless connection you would need a wireless router connected to the modem through an RJ45 cable. Then your laptop would be able to connect to the wireless router. In an apartment building you will want to secure that connection so other people cannot access your connection and perhaps your machine.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 08-22-2007 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: I gots speal chek

Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM

253 posts, read 1,306,337 times
Hmmm, very interesting, both of you. Thanks a lot for your help! I have a much better understanding now of what I need to do/look for.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM

What he means by flip the switch is that like I said the Apt. is Internet ready and the Internet Service Provider just needs to activate you. I just got a new DLink wireless (n) spec under a 100 bucks and a whole lot faster than g.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 08-23-2007 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: please sir can I have some rep

Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
This is a similar scenario to a hotel. They give you a code to access the wireless in the apt.

Some apts are set up this way...mostly long term corporate apts, like the Oakwood Corporate Apts. Liz

Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 PM

Ahh I've been in the pasture too long Last time I stayed in a Hotel Color TV had just started to make its way ....

Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM

136 posts, read 589,922 times
Just came by to share my own experience with receiving wireless internet. Okay, one place that I lived at the apartment complex offered free wireless internet. The only thing that I had to do to receive the connection on my pc was to purchase a wireless internet card. After I installed the wireless internet card and rebooted my computer and installed the software included with the wireless internet card I was surfing the web in no time. If the leasing office did not say that it was free wireless internet then you may have to pay like another poster said to receive the wireless internet. You might would want to ask another resident how they are receiving their internet? Just a suggestion.

Another apartment complex I lived in said that they had internet available. Now here is where it got a little tricky. I had to purchase internet service through an internet service provider. An service person came out and hooked up my cable and internet the same day. He hooked the modem up so that I could get internet through my cable. From there in order for me to get an internet connection on another pc or laptop in my apartment I would have to purchase a router.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers