Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I have researched the heck out of this problem I've been having with my laptop and evidently it is a pretty common issue but no one seems to have a sure-fire fix for it.

So my HP laptop stopped connecting to the internet after it updated to Vista SP2. Instead it wil attempt to aquire the IP info for ever and ever without ever getting anything beyond a local only connection. Repairing the connection does nothing, connecting the LAN cable does nothing, restarting, shut downs, turning off and on the WiFI switch, all does nothing. A lot of people seem to think that disabling IPv6 in the Network Center fixes it but I tried it and it didn't do anything.

I have tried reinstalling the winsock drivers, the network drivers, and the IP stack all to no avail. After a bit of digging I DID discover that the DHCP client service is not starting on my computer because one or more of its dependencies is either missing or marked for deletion but I checked all of them and windows said they were running properly.

I'm at my whit's end with trying to fix this. I just ordered a new top-of the-line iMac for work and I was hoping to be able to use my old laptop (which works fine otherwise) to do stuff like surf the web and watch movies/YouTube and stuff. I might just reinstall windows vista but I'd prefer to not have to resort to that. On the other hand, I've been researching this and trying different things to fix it for about two months now... How much is enough?

Laptop is a HP DV2000
Windows Vista SP2 32Bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Did you try unplugging the router for a few minutes?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
This is a simple fix, uninstall your wireless device driver, with a remove, and then install fresh, ensuring you are using the LATEST device driver that is correct for your wireless card and operating system.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Did you try unplugging the router for a few minutes?
Yeah that was one of the first things I tried. Other computers as well as my iPhone connect fine to the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
This is a simple fix, uninstall your wireless device driver, with a remove, and then install fresh, ensuring you are using the LATEST device driver that is correct for your wireless card and operating system.
Do you do this this through the device manager? If so then I've already tried this too I think. I uninstalled the device drivers and then redetected the hardware with a reinstall.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I've seen this issue before and I believe it turned out that the AFD service was corrupt even though it was started. To fix it, I think I:

1. Ran CMD as an administrator
2. Enter net start AFD
3 If the driver can't be loaded try running sfc /scannow to repair the corrupted driver file.
4. Once repair is done try starting the DHCP Client service

It has been a while since I have used Vista so I doing this as much from memory as possible.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I've seen this issue before and I believe it turned out that the AFD service was corrupt even though it was started. To fix it, I think I:

1. Ran CMD as an administrator
2. Enter net start AFD
3 If the driver can't be loaded try running sfc /scannow to repair the corrupted driver file.
4. Once repair is done try starting the DHCP Client service

It has been a while since I have used Vista so I doing this as much from memory as possible.
Thanks! I will try this when I get back home.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM

Ok I ran the suggested items and this is what I got:

Looks like the AFD service was already running and the scan stopped at 83% before it couldn't go any further for reasons unknown.

Any ideas?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 PM

I don't believe it! I fixed it! Thanks to everyone who tried to help me fix this.

Ok I am going to explain exactly what I did in case anyone has the same issue.

These instructions are for Windows Vista!

Symptom:
DHCP Client Service error 1075: the service won't start because one or more dependencies is either missing or marked for deletion.

This will cause your internet to not identify IP address configurations and cause you to get a "Local Only" connection. Otherwise, when you open network and sharing center, you will see it identifying the network indefinitely but never actually gain internet access.

How to fix it:
(Note: to fix this, you have to edit your computer's registry and it is very important that you follow these steps exactly otherwise you might seriously mess up your computer. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, take your computer to someone who knows what they are doing.)

Part One: Making Sure this is the problem you are having
  1. go to services to make sure you actually are getting the same error code as me. Services is located in control panel - administrative tools - services, then scroll down to DHCP Client and try and start the service. If you are having the same issue, it will give you the error message now.
  2. next, right click on DHCP Client and select properties, then click on the dependencies tab at the top of the window to identify what services are required to start DHCP (usually it's only two or three services)
  3. next, find those services in the list and start those if any of them aren't running (mine were all running and working properly). If they are all running already then we can proceed.
Part Two: identifying the mystery service that is missing or marked for deletion
  1. now we need to find what is causing your DHCP client grief and to do that, we need to take a peek at the system log. Click start and under search, type "Event Viewer" and open it. Under "Summary of Administrative Events" click the little "+" sign next to the "error" field. You will see a bunch of mumbo jumbo now but don't panic; we are looking for 7003 under the "Event ID" column with "Service Control Manager" under the "source" column. Double click on that event.
  2. it will bring up a summary of that event. Under the description, you should see something like "The **** service depends the following service: Tdx. This service might not be installed." In this case, Tdx is the service that is giving me grief. Make sure to write down what service is giving you trouble as we will need that later on when we go to edit the registry!
Part Three: Editing the registry to fix the problem (use caution and make sure you open these exact paths!)
  1. click start and under search, type "run" and open it. Next to open, type "regedit" and hit enter.
  2. in the new window, double click on "computer"
  3. double click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
  4. double click on "SYSTEM"
  5. double click on "CurrentControlSet"
  6. double click on "Services"
  7. scroll down to DHCP and click once on it
  8. in the right side of the window, you should see a list. Right click on "DependOnService" and click "Modify"
  9. under the "Value Data" box you will see a list of dependencies. Now look at the service that you wrote down earlier and delete that out of the list just like you would delete text out of an email and make sure to close the space so that each service is on its own line. Do not delete anything else!
  10. close all of the windows and restart your computer.

That is what fixed it for me! I don't want anyone to have to research as much as I did to fix this so hopefully this will help anyone having this issue. The fact that I am typing this on the very same computer that wasn't connecting to anything earlier is testament to how well it worked for me.

Cheers!

Last edited by Adric; 02-19-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Yeah that was one of the first things I tried. Other computers as well as my iPhone connect fine to the network.

Do you do this this through the device manager? If so then I've already tried this too I think. I uninstalled the device drivers and then redetected the hardware with a reinstall.
You didn't follow what I said, I said Uninstall with a REMOVE, to completely delete the driver from your computer.

Don't do a detect, download the correct driver with another computer, and then install it MANUALLY.

Doing so will ensure that the driver is correctly installed, and all associated services are set to start and run properly.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You didn't follow what I said, I said Uninstall with a REMOVE, to completely delete the driver from your computer.

Don't do a detect, download the correct driver with another computer, and then install it MANUALLY.

Doing so will ensure that the driver is correctly installed, and all associated services are set to start and run properly.
Well either way, it's fixed now. See above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers