Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times

Advertisements

"Consider replacing your battery. There is a problem with your battery, consider replacing your battery." Let me start with..I am not very computer savvy. I googled this problem and it seems to be a software issue. My computer is 1.5 yrs old and had no problems until this morning. A red x started blinking over my battery icon and when I clicked on it..it says the above. Anyway to fix this without buying a new battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
It's not a software issue. Your battery is getting old. Many usually start to lose their charge at about 18 - 24 months. It will slowly get worse from here on out. It will last less and less time on battery.
If you don't want to get a new battery, Google to find a way to stop notifying you about it.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
What should I do if I receive a "Consider replacing your battery" notification?

Of course MS will tell you to get a new battery. Not a bad idea. But there should be a way to disable the monitoring.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
You can download HWMonitor for free. it will give you a rough idea of the wear factor on the battery. If it's like 12% or less then probably it's not your battery.

I have Toshibas. Here are some things that cure that on Toshibas:

While the PC is plugged in to AC, remove the battery, leave it out maybe 30 seconds, and then reinstall it. That allegedly tells the PC to expect a different battery and thus it actually analyzes the charge level.

and then do the things listed in this article, as well, and you should have reset whatever can be reset:
Battery not charging, not being recognized, or los... - Toshiba Forums

If none of that works, run it in to Staples or Office Depot or someplace that sells universal chargers and see if one of their chargers will charge it. If that works, buy that charger, lol. The battery in my Toshiba was over 3 years old and still charged, but the battery charger itself died.

eta: I have gotten that Win7 "uneedabattery" warning on a brand new Toshaba brandname battery that was actually 95% charged and had only a 2% wear factor. So I know that Windows can be wrong. I think I did the "Remove the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" procedure from that Toshiba article and Windows quit giving false warnings.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 10,052 times
Someone please help me! My battery won't work and my windows 7 says (plugged in, charging) and I can't get a new battery because apparently there are shipping issues and they only make them in Japan now. Plz freaking help me!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manman123 View Post
Someone please help me! My battery won't work and my windows 7 says (plugged in, charging) and I can't get a new battery because apparently there are shipping issues and they only make them in Japan now. Plz freaking help me!

Why don't you start your own thread instead of reviving a dead one and include the make/model and what problem you are running into?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Do a search on you make and model such as Replacement battery for .... Also always wise to create your own thread as stated.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
I have an Asus Pro50 series going Laptop 7yrs old. Battery won,t hold charge and can only use on main power. Has crashed several times but manage to keep it going. Then realized that the tired battery may have been corrupting the system somehow. Removed the battery and cleaned the connector terminals on laptop and battery with very fine wet& dry sandpaper.Seemed to solve the problem.The computer is still old but is working ok. Am intending to buy a new battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers