Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:29 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Soon support will end for it and youll be left very vunderable. Just hang in there!
I figure I have 5 years to let them get the bugs out of Vista before switching.

Quote:
Mainstream support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 will end on April 4, 2009, four years after its general availability[36]. As per Microsoft's posted timetable, the company will stop licensing Windows XP to OEMs and terminate retail sales of the operating system January 31, 2008, 12 months after the release of Windows Vista.

On April 14, 2009, Windows XP will begin its "Extended Support" period that will last for 5 years until April 8, 2014.[37] First generation Windows XP (without Service Pack 2) is no longer supported; Microsoft ended the support for Windows XP RTM on September 30, 2004 and Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a on October 10, 2006.
Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Support for XP has been extended outward - Microsoft just announced that with the Vista issues which have become apparent they will continue to sell and support XP for longer than initially planned (through June of 2008!) while they work out the "features"... -cough-bugs-cough- everyone who upgraded has been experiencing.

Electronista | MS to sell XP until June 2008 after Vista backlash

All that said, I wouldn't advise anyone to upgrade from XP nor to buy a new machine with Vista right now... if the issues are serious enough to do what Microsoft is doing, then you definitely don't want it quite yet.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
don't like Vista even the guys at Best Buy don't care for it either, I purchased a new system before I could even get it uploaded to work properly it was loaded with the Trojan virus, distroyed the hard drive. Took it back got a new system again with Vista immediatly put on the virsus protection I only use this system to run the printer and use our lap tops. I think it's way to combursome.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Support for XP has been extended outward - Microsoft just announced that with the Vista issues which have become apparent they will continue to sell and support XP for longer than initially planned (through June of 2008!) while they work out the "features"... -cough-bugs-cough- everyone who upgraded has been experiencing.

Electronista | MS to sell XP until June 2008 after Vista backlash

All that said, I wouldn't advise anyone to upgrade from XP nor to buy a new machine with Vista right now... if the issues are serious enough to do what Microsoft is doing, then you definitely don't want it quite yet.

Thank you for passing that info along...very interesting...there are still cough>bugs<cough....that my tech friend is still trying to figure out what's up with mine.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
don't like Vista even the guys at Best Buy don't care for it either, I purchased a new system before I could even get it uploaded to work properly it was loaded with the Trojan virus, distroyed the hard drive. Took it back got a new system again with Vista immediatly put on the virsus protection I only use this system to run the printer and use our lap tops. I think it's way to combursome.
My new Dell computer came with Vista and I had problems, was also thinking about going back to XP. However, I decided to reload Vista and since then no problems and very fast.

Now a Happy Camper.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
a nightmare.
took back the first computer i got with vista and demanded a refund.
i got it, less 100 bucks for the vista.
then i tried to run vista on my new vostro 200 dell.
froze up. locked up all my software told i gota get some sort of authorization/patch for each program to run it. give me a break. took a computer guru on the phone with microsoft for over an hour to disconnect vista from my system and reboot xp.
never again. finally sold my vista on ebay for 50 bucks 1/2 of what i paid.
a few more like that and bill gates is going to be washing cars.
stephen s
san diego ca
I ordered one of those Vostro 200 Dell computers last week Tuesday, 9/25. The reason I did was someone on another online forum alerted me that Dell was having a special on their Vostro line of computers, almost $300 off the 200 series (and the last day on this special was the next day, 9/26). I couldn't pass that up, so I went to Dell's website and built my system, which should arrive either tomorrow or Tuesday. Oh, and in case you're wondering, I opted to have this new machine preloaded with Windows XP Professional, not Vista.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 PM

Smile New Dell Vostro Arrived!

Just a follow-up to my last post above. My new Dell Vostro 200 system arrived today! I plan on getting it set up on Saturday morning. I'll post back here using that new machine to let you all know how I like it.

Stephen S./Bunky 39 - How do you like yours? Especially since you dumped Vista and had XP put back in.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up Vostro is up and running!

As I promised in my last post, I'm posting here using my new Dell Vostro 200 desktop PC with Windows XP Professional. I'm absolutely loving it so far! When it's on, I can't even hear it running; it's that quiet. I removed some programs that I know I'll never use, plus I downloaded and installed some that I had on my last computer (anti-virus, spyware detector, etc.).

With the $270 discount I got, I feel I really got a good value for the money. I highly recommend this line of computers from Dell, hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers