Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=4]I do not know where to post this question so if the moderators want to move this thread that’s fine.

I have an assignment in my sociology class. We have to create a power point presentation about a certain topic. She wants us to attach the presentation to her on the schools black board; she does not want us to present it to her in an actual presentation (face to face or over the phone ).

My question is, how much text can I put on each slide in order for her to understand what my presentation is all about without making it look cluttered? I have never seen a power point presentation where all the information, text is on the slides itself. This is her assignment explanation:

For this assignment you are going to read chapter 8 then prepare a power point presentation in at least 10 slides answering
Be creative in your presentation. Use visuals and statistic evidence to defend your response. This assignment should be fun and a way to present your creative mind.

I hope you understand my question. Thanks

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
I think your question is part of what you're supposed to figure out on your own, and we don't help with homework.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times
I agree with NHD and that you aren't supposed to ask us to do your homework. But I don't see anything wrong with you posting one slide for us to review and add feedback.

Can you do one slide, then add it as an image so you can get feedback from others?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Here are some very good reads.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_b..._bad_powe.html
Seth's Blog: Nine steps to Powerpoint magic (I really like no.1)

Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I dont think he wants specific help with his homework. Hence he even removed the main question.

We can just give him some ppt tips. That's not cheating, is it? He would be learning, no?

Tip: You can put a whole lot of text in a slide. You can shrink the font down to a small size and put probably 1,500 words into one slide. No. Do not do that. Yes. It will look cluttered. And hard to read. Spice it up by adding some pictures. Put text around the pictures. Thinks like that. Be creative. That's what the teacher wants, I bet.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM

8,312 posts, read 13,444,568 times
PP presentations are typically used as cheat cards for whoever is doing the presentation to have relevant, vital or colorful images to support the subject of the presentation. Images could also be used simply to make the presentation appear more pleasing to the eye. Text on each slide is usually comprised of bullet point style short sentences or keywords and the person doing the presentation generally covers each sentence or word during his/her speech. You can consider each slide almost like a paragraph or a page in a book.

I don't know what the topic was but since you will just give the presentation and let it present itself, it sort of defeats its main purpose imho but it is still doable, you'd just have to use enough slides to make sure the presentation will do its job all by itself. Make sure to use relevant and suitable images in each or most of the slides. You do not have to use images/pictures but they definitely help a lot.

Use animation or even audio to make the presentation come alive and hit home run. I am sure you got one of those powerpoint files in the e-mail where it will display a (text) statement then pop or slide in the image or show the image and using some sort of a neat animation bring up the text in the slide.

Experiment a bit and use one of the existing presentations to understand how it is done. Instead of music, you can record your own speech (voice) to comment on the current slide, etc.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
You want as few words as possible, but enough to answer the questions. One site linked above says to use no more than 6 words. I think that's good advice if you're presenting it to the class, but if you're just handing it in, with no live presentation, then you probably need a few more words on the slide. Don't go overboard with Power Point animations and transitions.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I think your question is part of what you're supposed to figure out on your own, and we don't help with homework.

I am not asking you do do my homework.
I am slimply asking for some direction or advice for those of you who have experience with powerpoint. If you cant help me then keep your nasty comments to yourself.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Thaks to all of you for the tips. I have been playing around with powerpoint today and it seem pretty simple. Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Here's how not to do it

How NOT to use Powerpoint - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers