Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:35 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,266,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I appreciate everyone's responses. It's interesting to me to see how people use their computers and what's important to them. Sometimes I wish I didn't live so simply just so I could experience these programs and find them useful. (I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, microwave, car, etc., I still cook from scratch and make my own bread and butter every week. Even when I was younger, I just wasn't impressed by technology.)

When I switched to Mac five years ago, I started liking computers. Micro$oft was so frustrating to me that I absolutely hated them! Here's how I describe computers now: When you buy a PC, it's like buying a car... and having to PUSH it everywhere you go! But, when you buy a Mac, it's like getting a chauffeur with the car.

When I bought my iMac, I over-bought into a more powerful computer on purpose. I'd hoped to grow into it but, just the opposite happened. My life became even more simple and now I can see myself without a computer at all. I mostly use it for news (since I don't own a TV), recipes, listening to my favorite pastors, biblical studies and watching a few TV shows and movies. CityData has been a fun diversion at times, too.

I've even lost the desire to watch TV and movies. Nothing interests me. It's just as well though because, since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, none of my media programs work properly anymore. By the time you search out all the plug-ins, work-arounds and get the settings just right, it's just not worth it.

Truth be told, I'd give up my iMac for a simple iPad if that didn't require wifi. I don't trust the internet as it is, much less having to worry about people hacking into your signal.

Forgive my rambling. I tend to get very pensive this time of year and most of this is just "thinking out loud."
Have you thought on how to put yourself out of your misery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 AM

17,754 posts, read 30,042,486 times
Default Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,756,815 times
Quote:
I am aware of those cable. But who wants to run a cable across a room? I want to be able to sit on the couch with my laptop and wirelessly share my screen to the big screen TV.

This is off topic a bit, but the Apple TV lets me share my screen with iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc. It is nice to pull up the ABC app for example on my phone and watch a TV show on my TV rather than on the phone.

Look ma, no wires!

Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,756,815 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses. It's interesting to me to see how people use their computers and what's important to them. Sometimes I wish I didn't live so simply just so I could experience these programs and find them useful. (I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, microwave, car, etc., I still cook from scratch and make my own bread and butter every week. Even when I was younger, I just wasn't impressed by technology.)

When I switched to Mac five years ago, I started liking computers. Micro$oft was so frustrating to me that I absolutely hated them! Here's how I describe computers now: When you buy a PC, it's like buying a car... and having to PUSH it everywhere you go! But, when you buy a Mac, it's like getting a chauffeur with the car.

When I bought my iMac, I over-bought into a more powerful computer on purpose. I'd hoped to grow into it but, just the opposite happened. My life became even more simple and now I can see myself without a computer at all. I mostly use it for news (since I don't own a TV), recipes, listening to my favorite pastors, biblical studies and watching a few TV shows and movies. CityData has been a fun diversion at times, too.

I've even lost the desire to watch TV and movies. Nothing interests me. It's just as well though because, since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, none of my media programs work properly anymore. By the time you search out all the plug-ins, work-arounds and get the settings just right, it's just not worth it.

Truth be told, I'd give up my iMac for a simple iPad if that didn't require wifi. I don't trust the internet as it is, much less having to worry about people hacking into your signal.

Forgive my rambling. I tend to get very pensive this time of year and most of this is just "thinking out loud."

Sounds like you live a great life! I think that technology has gotten in the way of normal life. I cringe when I see kids stuck to electronics. They would rather play on them than talk to people in person.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,693,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Sounds like you live a great life! I think that technology has gotten in the way of normal life. I cringe when I see kids stuck to electronics. They would rather play on them than talk to people in person.
As a 40 YO that grew up without any of this, I'll take my electronics over people any day!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,664,564 times
Quote:
What would make you say such a thing?

I'm certainly not in misery. I live a very simple life and wouldn't have it any other way. I don't own those things because I have no need for them. Think of all the time and money I've saved. Gadgets eat both and have turned people into an island unto themselves, enslaving them so that they can't live without them. That's what I call misery. All I hear is people wishing they had more hours in the day. I don't need them. I go to work, attend church, am a member of two committees, do volunteer work, spend time with friends and family and I STILL have time for myself to read, relax or tinker online for a bit. I don't know of anyone else who can do all of this.

But still, each person chooses to live their life how they like. I'm all for that. But, choices also come with consequences. For me, that consequence is now having to try to re-learn a new OS.

I started this thread to see if there was anything I was missing, or wasn't seeing, with Mountain Lion. I thought if I could see it through the eyes of others, I could benefit from their experience and viewpoint.

But, make no mistake. I'm not in misery. To make the kind of comment you did, I'm guessing you might be though.

Last edited by plain and simple; 12-25-2012 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Regarding your sign: Keep Calm and Kill Your Mac...

That's what's so wonderful about Macs. Mac owners can freely choose to do so. It's the opposite for PC owners. PC's cumbersome, always problematic, click eight times to do one thing, constantly break down, expensive to maintain, virus-ridden, unreliable and out to ruin your life. PC's drive their owners to madness. So much so that they stubbornly refuse to switch to the ease and friendliness of Mac.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I'm inclined to agree. People have become anti-social (the polite word for rude), always walking around with plugs in their ears and distracted from their walking, talking, paying at checkouts, driving, eating, time meant to be spent with a 3D person.

People no longer remember anything, except where to find it on their gadget. Without gadgets, people are lucky if they remember their own phone number.

People have forgotten how to learn. They've forgotten how to think and reason logically. They just Google it and the answer is there. Without Google, people couldn't work out the answer for themselves. Problems are now solved by Google and watching TV and movies.

Many people are under the mistaken notion that they're independent and self-reliant. This is the saddest person to me. We weren't created to be independent. We need each other. No person can do, or be, everything. These independent and self-reliant people would be helpless, quivering bowls of jelly if the electricity went out for an extended period of time. Or, worse yet, an EMP attack. These independent people are actually slaves to technology.

Gadgets are also time killers. They eat up hours in the day as quickly as gadgets eat batteries. In turn, people's lack of time for anything else increases their stress and decreases their health.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for a lot of technology. Some (very few) gadgets do add value to our lives. I'm talking more about the ones that give people the sense of entitlement, independence, instant gratification and are entertainment driven. That's what most of society has become: Entertainment-driven, anti-social and self-entitled.

And now we have not only our elementary kids turning out like this but also toddlers.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
As a 40 YO that grew up without any of this, I'll take my electronics over people any day!
As a 46 year old who grew up without any of this, I might be inclined to agree with you on this much of the time. The problem is, it's all the "any of this" that turned people into the selfish, self-entitled and anti-social people that they are today.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,693,245 times
Quote:
As a 46 year old who grew up without any of this, I might be inclined to agree with you on this much of the time. The problem is, it's all the "any of this" that turned people into the selfish, self-entitled and anti-social people that they are today.
Technology doesn't turn people this way. Society as a whole started down this path in the '60s and what we have today is the product of a couple of generations of "Me first" thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers