Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,693,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Regarding your sign: Keep Calm and Kill Your Mac...

That's what's so wonderful about Macs. Mac owners can freely choose to do so. It's the opposite for PC owners. PC's cumbersome, always problematic, click eight times to do one thing, constantly break down, expensive to maintain, virus-ridden, unreliable and out to ruin your life. PC's drive their owners to madness. So much so that they stubbornly refuse to switch to the ease and friendliness of Mac.
You must have different PC's than the ones we've had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 AM

15,478 posts, read 25,960,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I think they were referring to Airplay (wirelessly mirror screen).

Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,664,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Technology doesn't turn people this way. Society as a whole started down this path in the '60s and what we have today is the product of a couple of generations of "Me first" thinking.
I whole-heartedly agree with you. I should have clarified that. Gadgets don't kill time and society -- people do. Just like guns don't kill people -- people do. Same thing.

The progression of magazine titles says it all, doesn't it? We started out with Life Magazine. It was a magazine about all of us, for all of us. Then came People magazine which implied that the we should be more interested in a select group of people. Then came Us, which narrowed it down even more. Now we have magazines called things like Self. It's now all about me.

Main point: Society has become anti-social, self-entitled, entertainment driven, lazy and demand their rights, entertainment and instant gratification. And, if they have to give up a few liberties and rights to get it, so be it. Just don't touch my entertainment! Everyone must respect and treat MY beliefs as truth but I reserve MY right to belittle and mock everyone else's. (The hypocrisy of political correctness.)

Back on the Mountain Lion note: I found an application I quite enjoy: Notes. Very handy for me.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:06 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,742,852 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses. It's interesting to me to see how people use their computers and what's important to them. Sometimes I wish I didn't live so simply just so I could experience these programs and find them useful. (I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs, microwave, car, etc., I still cook from scratch and make my own bread and butter every week. Even when I was younger, I just wasn't impressed by technology.)

When I switched to Mac five years ago, I started liking computers. Micro$oft was so frustrating to me that I absolutely hated them! Here's how I describe computers now: When you buy a PC, it's like buying a car... and having to PUSH it everywhere you go! But, when you buy a Mac, it's like getting a chauffeur with the car.

When I bought my iMac, I over-bought into a more powerful computer on purpose. I'd hoped to grow into it but, just the opposite happened. My life became even more simple and now I can see myself without a computer at all. I mostly use it for news (since I don't own a TV), recipes, listening to my favorite pastors, biblical studies and watching a few TV shows and movies. CityData has been a fun diversion at times, too.

I've even lost the desire to watch TV and movies. Nothing interests me. It's just as well though because, since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, none of my media programs work properly anymore. By the time you search out all the plug-ins, work-arounds and get the settings just right, it's just not worth it.

Truth be told, I'd give up my iMac for a simple iPad if that didn't require wifi. I don't trust the internet as it is, much less having to worry about people hacking into your signal.

Forgive my rambling. I tend to get very pensive this time of year and most of this is just "thinking out loud."
Pardon me but everyone need at least a battery powered radio for emergency news.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 12-25-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,266,665 times
Quote:
Regarding your sign: Keep Calm and Kill Your Mac...

That's what's so wonderful about Macs. Mac owners can freely choose to do so. It's the opposite for PC owners. PC's cumbersome, always problematic, click eight times to do one thing, constantly break down, expensive to maintain, virus-ridden, unreliable and out to ruin your life. PC's drive their owners to madness. So much so that they stubbornly refuse to switch to the ease and friendliness of Mac.
Sounds to me like your Windows PC is was a lemon, period. If I buy a new car and it constantly breaks down I get rid of it and purchase a different brand, not hang on to it for years so I can complain and let it add to the misery I call my life....

What's the difference between constantly breaking down and unreliable?

I think it's called extreme paranoia when one feels their computer is out to get them...

To help you understand the adult world you live in the term PC (Personal Computer) encompasses both Apple and Microsoft products....

Personal computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,266,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I am aware of those cable. But who wants to run a cable across a room? I want to be able to sit on the couch with my laptop and wirelessly share my screen to the big screen TV.
Next time say it, C-D does not enhance mind reading....

Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,182,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Pardon me but everyone need at least a battery powered radio for emergency news.
My emergency radio has a hand crank for power. It takes batteries, too, but doesn't require them.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 PM

310 posts, read 1,028,531 times
I like Apples product for the most part...iphone and ipod especially, which I find very easy to use, and very aesthetic looking.

However, OSX is the most confusing OS I've seen. I've had friends in my classes who end up leaving their Macs at home because it can run certain business software. The whole UI is confusing, and cumbersome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers