Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,959,638 times

Advertisements

My co-workers and I got it installed remotely on our laptops the other day. I suspect it is a tracking device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM

6,597 posts, read 11,327,457 times
Wow - that name brought back memories. Surprised people still use it - especially after the source code was revealed a year ago. But it's simply a remote control app for your PC. People used to have it for support purposes or to be able to remote into computers from afar. But with Virtualization, RDP, and VPNs... the need to pay extra for something you can have for free is sort of unnecessary. Can it be used as a tracking device? Sure, but there are easier/more effective ways for your employer to track your technology uses.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,502,549 times
LOL PC Anywhere was great.....in 1990. They never really made the transition to an Internet-based world. PC Anywhere hasn't been maintained in years and anyone still using it needs to be slapped upside the head for installing such a massive security hole into your PC.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,678,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
LOL PC Anywhere was great.....in 1990. They never really made the transition to an Internet-based world. PC Anywhere hasn't been maintained in years and anyone still using it needs to be slapped upside the head for installing such a massive security hole into your PC.
It was the bomb back in the dial up days, but yea, it's long been replaced by any number of always on, or on demand remote control technologies.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,786,803 times
What company would install that today? I'm LMAO.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What company would install that today? I'm LMAO.
The IRS.

We're in the field conducting examinations. It's not like we're having software issues from afar.

The fed govt is always at least decade behind in technology. LOL!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The IRS.

We're in the field conducting examinations. It's not like we're having software issues from afar.

The fed govt is always at least decade behind in technology. LOL!
Being behind on tech isn't always a bad thing. But installing ancient, unsupported software with documented security vulnerabilities that opens your organization up to data breaches is criminal.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Being behind on tech isn't always a bad thing. But installing ancient, unsupported software with documented security vulnerabilities that opens your organization up to data breaches is criminal.
The problem is the fed govt can't afford to pay qualified individuals the market rate for their skills and expertise. So it generally resorts to retraining employees who either didn't like or were failures in their former positions. Some of these technical staffs were pretty notorious for their incompetence. When I worked in DC, we usually picked the person who would do the least amount of damage to our laptops. That's how bad it was.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The problem is the fed govt can't afford to pay qualified individuals the market rate for their skills and expertise. So it generally resorts to retraining employees who either didn't like or were failures in their former positions. Some of these technical staffs were pretty notorious for their incompetence. When I worked in DC, we usually picked the person who would do the least amount of damage to our laptops. That's how bad it was.
That's sad. If I were you, I'd see if I could get away with disabling PC Anywhere on my laptop and only enable it when needed. You don't want to be the one getting hacked.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,047,461 times
I'd like to say I'm shocked that a government agency would use that ancient piece of crap, let alone an agency that has personal data on every taxpayer in the country, but sadly I'm not surprised at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers