Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,213,623 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a little advice. My Toshiba Satellite laptop has something wrong with it. I can't quite pinpoint what it is. It's a few years old. It takes FOREVER to do anything. Sometimes, it just freezes up completely and I have to reboot, which also takes forever. Windows will just shut down for no reason.
I have Windows 7
Satellite P500 series
It's a nice 17" laptop and I would love to fix it. Does anyone know of a program that I can download or buy that can fix these problems?
I have AVAST anitvirus protection.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
I have a similar Dell E1705 Core 2 Duo processer laptop and my laptop isn't slow. But it's slow for showing 720p videos. Maybe your hd needs a reformat.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Reformat my hard drive?? I don't know how to do that.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM

If you have too many antivirus programs installed that can slow you down too.

My desktop is 1.7 years old and it takes 10 minutes to boot. I loaded too many desktop icons which slows up the boot time, also I have a ton of programs installed and now I kinda hate ESET NOD32 for ALWAYS doing a startup hd boot scan.

Before reformatting make sure you have all the installed software on dvds to reinstall again. And you need your OS install dvd.

I've reformatted hard drives when they weren't booted up as the main drive, but I don't know how to reformat a drive if it's your main drive.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 PM

I was hoping there was a "PC Tune-up" software that would work. LOL I'm not very knowledgeable about the stuff you're talking about. I didn't get the OS software with my computer. It came already installed. I was told that if I had a problem they would send it to me, but that was a few years ago. I should have insisted on it then.
I haven't used it for a couple of weeks. It is really not functioning well enough to use. I booted it up awhile ago and was able to go online, but when I tried to pull up my control panel, it wouldn't work.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM

I just talked to Toshiba support. For $150. I can get six months service for up to 4 computers. He said that they would remotely go into my computer and fix whatever the problems are. Does that sound right? Should I take it to a computer repair shop?
My computer is 3 years next month.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM

I wouldn't trust remote service. Remote diagnosis with in person service is better. A computer repair shop would be better.

Try to solve your problem with Google!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Thanks, Jesse. I need to do some more research. My sister has a guy that remotely works on her computers. He charges by the hour and she speaks very highly of him. I don't know any repair shops nearby. I'll get on a local forum and ask for recommendations.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I was hoping there was a "PC Tune-up" software that would work. LOL I'm not very knowledgeable about the stuff you're talking about. I didn't get the OS software with my computer. It came already installed. I was told that if I had a problem they would send it to me, but that was a few years ago. I should have insisted on it then.
I haven't used it for a couple of weeks. It is really not functioning well enough to use. I booted it up awhile ago and was able to go online, but when I tried to pull up my control panel, it wouldn't work.
That PC Tune-Up and clones are a rip-off plain and simple.

Have you read any articles on performance tuning of Windows 7?

Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...up-utility.htm

8 top tune-up utilities to speed up your PC | News | TechRadar

TuneUp Utilities 2013 - CNET Download.com

At the very least try the free version of CCleaner:

CCleaner - Download

Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Is CCleaner safe to use on my computer? That's why I'm posting here. I figured you all would know what's best!
It really does need more than speeding up. Windows shuts down randomly, and I don't know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers