Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

Have a Dell Inspiron desktop, running Vista HP, that for awhile now has been locking up once in a while when it's been on (on the internet or playing games,etc.). It would require that the pc be powered off and then back on... until the next time.

Today things got worse to the point that now anytime I turn the pc on, it recommends I run the Windows startup repair. I've run it many times but it doesn't find/repair anything. Earlier today before I got into this startup repair loop thing, I had an opening and I tried to do a restore back to an earlier version of the OS, but after processing for about a minute or two, it locked up and that was the end of the restore attempt.... it never completed.

Wondering which way to go with this. Any suggestions? Thanks.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM

688 posts, read 897,346 times
I had the same issue once. It was due to my SSD erroring out. It would randomly do that. Then stop for a while. Then start doing it again.

Had to replace the SSD. That's the last time I buy new tech when it first comes out. It only lasted a couple years.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 PM

Been a long afternoon and evening with the Dell, but finally got some resolution. After the pc finished running one of the uneventful Windows startup repair attempts, I clicked on an advanced options link and one of the options was to restore back to factory settings (back to day 1). I started it and it took off restoring from the factory partition on the hdd. A couple of times it seemed like it stalled, but I finally got it to finish and it's working normal again. Funny, I tried that a couple of times this afternoon without any luck. Anyway, I had to reinstall Service packs 1 & 2 but they went through without a problem. Right now there are about 150 updates that Windows is downloading so it will be catching up throughout the night. Probably be another bunch after those are configured/installed.

I think something corrupted some startup files somewhere along the line.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Been a long afternoon and evening with the Dell, but finally got some resolution. After the pc finished running one of the uneventful Windows startup repair attempts, I clicked on an advanced options link and one of the options was to restore back to factory settings (back to day 1). I started it and it took off restoring from the factory partition on the hdd. A couple of times it seemed like it stalled, but I finally got it to finish and it's working normal again. Funny, I tried that a couple of times this afternoon without any luck. Anyway, I had to reinstall Service packs 1 & 2 but they went through without a problem. Right now there are about 150 updates that Windows is downloading so it will be catching up throughout the night. Probably be another bunch after those are configured/installed.

I think something corrupted some startup files somewhere along the line.
Could've been some malware that had gotten installed as well. You might want to consider upgrading to Windows 7 - it seems to run a lot smoother than Vista. Our agency had purchased Windows Vista laptops a few years ago and they always seemed to run as if they had an anchor tied to them. We wiped them and replaced Vista with 7 and the laptops ran much better.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Do you use anti-virus software and something like Malwarebytes? If not you should.

Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Do you use anti-virus software and something like Malwarebytes? If not you should.

Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.
I do, MSE anti-virus and Malware.

The pc is still sick, After a couple of days of running fine, it now reboots itself right out of the blue. In the last two hours it rebooted itself 4 times.

To recap:

1. I reinstalled Vista from the hdd partition (w disk format).

2. Brought it up to date with SP 1 and SP2.

3. Checked to make sure the fans inside are running... they are.

4. Ran Malwareb.... no problems found.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I don't know what caused this problem (probably an interrupted update or recovery) but it seems the fix, from what I gathered online, is to boot from a Vista CD (or USB) and restore.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Is the fan on the CPU running? Is it covered with dust? A trick we used with desktops that did this was to take the side cover off and aim a fan at it. That helps cool it down. If it stops rebooting the culprit is likely heat. It's not a sure thing, but sometimes it works.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't know what caused this problem (probably an interrupted update or recovery) but it seems the fix, from what I gathered online, is to boot from a Vista CD (or USB) and restore.
I re-installed Vista from the Vista CD this a.m. Been running ok this afternoon and this evening. Will let you know it things change. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Is the fan on the CPU running? Is it covered with dust? A trick we used with desktops that did this was to take the side cover off and aim a fan at it. That helps cool it down. If it stops rebooting the culprit is likely heat. It's not a sure thing, but sometimes it works.
The CPU fan was running when I opened the side cover yesterday. While it was open, I vacummed things out. Aiming the fan is a great idea. Will keep that in mind if it happens again. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers