Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM

137 posts, read 136,098 times

Advertisements

I've noticed FF to be faster than previous versions. Especially at js heavy sites.

City-Data renders perfectly fine for me on FF, Chrome, IE 9 (Windows 7) and IE 10 (Windows 8). The colors seem to be a little different in Chrome than the others (the blue is a bit off). I wonder if Chrome is picking up the wrong color management profile. I should look into that... Chrome is my preferred browser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
It's because Firefox now takes its DPI from your OS. I have Windows 7 set to 150%, so my Firefox display was huge!

Here's how to get back to normal-

Go into about:config (type about:config in the location bar)
Find this string- layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
Change the value from -1.0 to 1.0
There's multiple complaints similar to mine on the FF help board. The fonts I have under control (somewhat) but the fuzzy icons and the general unclearness (is that a word?) is a pain. I'm wondering if it's because my screen is Hi-Def.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I do all the time. Most frequently when it concerns IE, actually. I'll admit that IE has lots of problems... especially in versions 8 and earlier. 9 is finicky about background resize and doesn't support some HTML 5 tags (article, for example).

But, at least two people here (myself included) have verified that CD renders fine in IE (9 and 10). If you look at the image Tek posted, it looks like there is a problem with the stylesheet. That's a problem specific to his computer.

I never said Tek was a dummy.
It's not just CD. It's any page I go to.

And sometimes I am a dummy.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
There's multiple complaints similar to mine on the FF help board. The fonts I have under control (somewhat) but the fuzzy icons and the general unclearness (is that a word?) is a pain. I'm wondering if it's because my screen is Hi-Def.
Define Hi-Def...

Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Define Hi-Def...
It's got an Intel HD Graphics 3000 card. I'm not a computer guy but I guess that means it's a HD display.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
It's got an Intel HD Graphics 3000 card. I'm not a computer guy but I guess that means it's a HD display.
Just because the video card might be able of HD doesn't mean the display is.....

Old 07-16-2013, 12:04 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I won't use chrome because they stubbornly refuse to include a sidebar for bookmarks for mostly selfish reasons... they take up 50% of the market now though so clearly most people don't care.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I'm using FF 22 since IE freezes after one or two clicks and attempts at 'cleaning' the files didn't do much, which was the only 'help' I could get. IE has been installed and uninstalled and reinstalled several times and it didn't really fix much. I STILL like IE better and especially that it does not mess with favorites. They stay the same order you put them in. FF alphabatised the ones I had, then the new ones are just trailing. I want all of them the order I loaded them. And I can't open more than two windows and FF goes very slow and then freezes.

When I can afford it I'd like a tech to look at my computer and see if there are settings off somewhere, but every since IE 9 messed up, it hasn't run right and FF is starting to show the same problems.

I also LIKED the bar at the bottom where I could set and change the magnification of the screen and miss it very much. If there is a way to get IE to work its still what I want. I'd have to add the additional bookmarks to the end of the favorites manually some way, I suppose.

Can certain people not get it in their head that some of us do NOT like built in maintenance and the like and would like a browser which did what a browser is supposed to do without messing with favorites or screen size and letting the user pick that??????

Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I won't use chrome because they stubbornly refuse to include a sidebar for bookmarks for mostly selfish reasons... they take up 50% of the market now though so clearly most people don't care.
What are those selfish reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers