Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 AM

16,597 posts, read 19,822,146 times

Advertisements

Then please tell me where you told SEARCH to SEARCH EVERYTHING because the default setting is SEARCH APPS and it never asked me "would you like to default to searching all?"

As for the comments above about PDF's opening in Metro, I have not had the experience described. The first time you open a PDF IF you have another PDF reader installed, Win 8 ASKS you ":Hey, I have a new way to open that. Want to use it or just use the other program"...which I thought was pretty nice actually. Did the same thing with Pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,875,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
When I type control panel, well I only need to type control, and control panel pops right up.

Why not just right click the windows icon in lower left corner?

I really don't see the issue guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Then please tell me where you told SEARCH to SEARCH EVERYTHING because the default setting is SEARCH APPS and it never asked me "would you like to default to searching all?"

As for the comments above about PDF's opening in Metro, I have not had the experience described. The first time you open a PDF IF you have another PDF reader installed, Win 8 ASKS you ":Hey, I have a new way to open that. Want to use it or just use the other program"...which I thought was pretty nice actually. Did the same thing with Pics.
This is an 8.1 thing I think, I just built a computer last night with 8.1 and when you start typing, it goes to all by default.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM

I have 8.1.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,875,509 times
You must be typing it wrong, did you try restarting? :P

Old 01-20-2014, 03:12 PM

54,500 posts, read 33,923,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
For the corporate space, can't you get create a folder with all of your common short cuts place it on the desktop and name it 'start menu'

What else is the start menu for, I'm sure people have found ways/shortcuts for what you want.
Then you'd have a desktop cluttered with too many icons/short cuts, which I don't like. I'd prefer everything to be either on the task bar or the Start Menu.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM

54,500 posts, read 33,923,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No it didn't, it was announced that the Start BUTTON would return, which it did. It was always clear that the menu would not be there in 8.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
True, though many people made no distinction between the "start menu" and the "start button." Many were under the impression that the start menu would return, and some articles states this outright (albeit falsely.)
I've looked at computers with Windows 8.1 and the "Start" button, without all the functionality of a Start menu is about as useless as air-conditioning in the middle of winter, in the north pole.

I'm sure Windows 8.1 has internal functionality that allows you to populate the menu that appears, with whatever programs you want on there, which is okay with us computer geeks, but not for the average consumer, who may not know too much about computers.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,469,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I've looked at computers with Windows 8.1 and the "Start" button, without all the functionality of a Start menu is about as useless as air-conditioning in the middle of winter, in the north pole.

I'm sure Windows 8.1 has internal functionality that allows you to populate the menu that appears, with whatever programs you want on there, which is okay with us computer geeks, but not for the average consumer, who may not know too much about computers.
It is certainly not like the Windows 7 Start menu, but at least you can easily access the Shut Down/Logoff/Restart commands with a quick right-click.

I have personally found it to be much quicker to hit the Windows key and click on the application I want on the Start screen, rather than finding the application in the embedded lists in the old Start menu. This is quicker for me, even without a touch screen.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,184,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
^^^^ This is what many folks in here don't grasp.
Quote:
It is certainly not like the Windows 7 Start menu, but at least you can easily access the Shut Down/Logoff/Restart commands with a quick right-click.
Isn't it ironic that the START button in 8.1 is only useful for ENDing your Windows session.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,230,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Isn't it ironic that the START button in 8.1 is only useful for ENDing your Windows session.
The Start button in Windows 8.1 allows you to access all your programs and the search functionality (which is very similar to OSX Spotlight... much faster, however). It essentially serves the same purpose as the Start button in Windows 7 and earlier.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I have personally found it to be much quicker to hit the Windows key and click on the application I want on the Start screen, rather than finding the application in the embedded lists in the old Start menu. This is quicker for me, even without a touch screen.
Blah...looking through a bunch of icons like Metro or looking through a START menu... it really is about as annoying especially if you have a lot of icons. I DO use search when I am not sure where a program is. That is nice. Windows key, just start typing, program shows up, press enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers