Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,894,397 times

Advertisements

You have a computer.
It is old.
It still works.

How much do you want to spend to replace it?
$500
$1000
$1500
$2000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,002,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
So not true. Anyone can purchase a Dell, HP or likely other PC from the business/education segment of the PC maker and get Windows 7 on a new machine, whether desktop or laptop.

Latitude 3330 Education and Small Business Laptop | Dell

Dell Inspiron 660 Desktop Details | Dell

HP ProBook 400 Series - NEW! - HP ProBook Notebook PC | Official HP® Business Store

Essential Desktop PCs - Desktops & All-in-Ones
I'm not so sure about that. I bought a Lenovo back in March that only came with that gawdawful Win 8, but when I tried to go back down to Win 7 it turned out there were no Win7 compatible drivers for a lot of the components, so it stayed on Win8. Maybe there are drivers now, I haven't checked lately.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,256,365 times
I have a 2002 Gateway PC and had a 2006 Dell Laptop, both w/XP. The PC had been upgraded a couple times but was still slowing down, so I used the laptop more often. Eventually, even after reloading XP a couple times, the laptop was slowing down. It didn't help that it had been dropped many times and treated roughly. By slowing down I mean taking forever for anything to happen, and that I'd used other, newer machines that were much faster. Finally the laptop crashed, so I replaced it with a refurb Dell I bought on ebay with a full Dell warranty and Win7. It's so much faster, and I use it almost exclusively now.

The PC needed to be dealt with because it was so slow it was almost useless, especially compared to my new fast laptop. It is the music server for my home, so it needs to work. Microsoft has a utility that will determine what will be required to put Win7 on an older machine. Between a fresh copy of Win7 (through a friend of a friend for cheap) and a couple hardware upgrades to make the old PC (maybe) compatible with Win7, I would have spent over $100, but I'd still have a mostly 11+ year old machine. I decided that if I was going to spend any money I'd get a (probably Dell) tower with Win7 for less than $200. I hoped that loading XP on the PC would help speed it up, so as a last ditch effort that's what I did. It now runs much faster, and runs fine without rebooting for a week or more. The fans run less and the harddrives are quieter. I will continue to use it until it becomes completely useless, then go for the $200 tower.

That's my story. Hope it helps.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:43 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,810,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULSA2ABQ View Post
Wow, this is active!

I have phone for the home and internet for the home with Cox, that is my 80 bucks.

I have just a cell phone that is 7 a month.

The computer is used for this, city data : ) internet shopping, email. Some Word I have the 2003 installed. That's about it.

What might be the best thing to do?

I sure would like it to keep on working like your Win3 did. But my whole system if I sold it monitor hardrive even a 13 year old printer couldn't fetch me 70 bucks as to what it would cost to pay somebody if anything went wrong with it.

I guess I wouldn't mind having to go out and use internet...I'd adjust eventually...

I saw black friday ads for Google Chromebooks, I really didn't know what that was all about.
But here is their website.
Introducing the Chromebook

So if you can help me figure out what to do? And will whatever I do be cheaper post Christmas?
I saw this was moved from the frugal living section.
You need to find out hour much you download per month and how much do you use your phone line. Do you use a fax machine? I started reading about freedom pop but stopped at the section which said you had to buy something. So can't comment on it. I bought magic jack for 5 years and was upsold on 2. I needed a computer with internet access.

Evaluate if you really need a house phone and consider there now a few alternatives like Vonage which doesn't need a pc to plug into.

It should like you don't really use the internet all that much, there are prepaid WiFi hotspots. Similar to you prepaid phone minutes. If you don't watch videos, music, download a bunch of stuff , it be for you, but it might not work with certain internet phone systems.

You probably can use your monitor with any replacement computer. Refurb computers with win 7 from company lease, refreshes, are cheap.

I don't know if you'd be able to reinstall office 2003 on a new computer. You will either need to keep your old computer around or learn something new. Openoffice is a free alternative.

I bought a tablet with full windows and full office for $250. Next year you should be able to find a used one for cheap, but people don't want to because they'll get hardly anything for it.

Did you have your win3 on the internet? you can take your xp off the internet too. companies will eventually stop updating their browsers and apps for xp.

If you are low income tell your phone company ask for options. if you use less than 500mb of data a month look at prepaid.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:45 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,228,635 times
I too have to change from XP. What's the best alternative?

Old 12-20-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I too have to change from XP. What's the best alternative?
Define best

Old 12-20-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Define best
Something that won't drag down my old machine.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 AM

So you want to use your old hardware with windows7? what hardware do you have and what is your budget?

Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
So you want to use your old hardware with windows7? what hardware do you have and what is your budget?
It doesn't have to be a Windows OS. I have a 3ghz Intel Processor, IDE hard drive and DVD burner. My video card is a PCIe, sound card is PCI.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It doesn't have to be a Windows OS. I have a 3ghz Intel Processor, IDE hard drive and DVD burner. My video card is a PCIe, sound card is PCI.
so you know how to install other OS and apps and you are asking which other OS is an alternative to XP? Or are you asking about with other os you should learn and figure out how to install?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers