Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM

137 posts, read 278,955 times

Advertisements

I just found out about the Windows XP dying. I read about going to Linux (I'm not good computer wise) or should upgrade to Windows 7, something costly for such an old computer I think.

We do have a library with computers 5 minutes away.

Should I just unplug and cancel internet and try that for a few months, wean off the internet for the most part?

Or should I buy the cheapest new laptop deal that comes along? Or tablet? Or smartphone?

We have a pay as u go phone, not smart or anything. 7 a month.

I read on another page about buying Barnes and Noble HD--but do you need to pay for an internet account?

I've also recently heard of a "hotspot" gizmo that you can have internet for free...

I would love to go back to life before using the internet throughout the day, but maybe I just want to find the cheaper way to go.

Can you help this poor tech unsavvy?

Oh, our phone internet package is 80 a month. 50 internet phone 30. We don't pay for cable we catch the free channels.

Do you all understand this thing?
http://www.freedompop.com/
There is a special buy here
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-free...00003_200248_0

Last edited by TULSA2ABQ; 12-15-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
It all depends on what you are most comfortable with and what you can afford to do.

No one can make that choice for you.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
"I just found out about the Windows XP dying."

What the heck does this mean? Are you worried about XP's upcoming End of Life in April?
All it means is that MS will not be adding anymore support or fixing bugs on it anymore. If your computer is running on XP
and you're happy with it then there's no reason to upgrade or buy a new computer.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Well I hope somebody WILL decide for me!

80 a month phone and internet if I didn't pay for it would get me the price of a laptop in 4 months. A tablet less. And I think Walmart has some super special smart phone deal?

Then there is that magic Jack plus
magicJack PLUS - FREE Local and Long Distance

Old 12-15-2013, 02:10 PM

I read that XP will allow malware and viruses. It costs 70 to take it to computer guys to fix. I have anti-malware and anti-virus, but from what I read, the XP is gonna fail.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Not clear what you mean when you say that your 'windows XP' (operating system) is dying?
Do you mean that your system is running slow and you seem to have viruses, etc?

In any case, if you are replacing your computer and operating system, there are numerous alternatives: laptop, tablets, etc. --- intended for a wide variety of user types. How you plan to use your system will largely determine which one is best for you. With a new system, you may wind-up with Windows 8 (or an Apple system).

Most laptops, tablets, etc are equipped with WI FI, which will enable you to get "free" internet at the library and a wide range of local businesses. But, unless you can 'piggyback' on a neighbor's internet service (with agreement/arrangement), you will have to acquire your own internet service and router.

You could optionally, get a 3G/4G Smartphone and use that for general internet applications (and use the library for expanded needs), but, your overall data plan costs will likely exceed that of a WI-FI equipped laptop/tablet. (Unclear?? - You said you have a pay-as-you-go phone ...also that you have a phone/internet for which you pay $80/$30 per month?? --- Do you have a smartphone or not?).

Old 12-15-2013, 02:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULSA2ABQ View Post
I just found out about the Windows XP dying. I read about going to Linux (I'm not good computer wise) or should upgrade to Windows 7, something costly for such an old computer I think.
Security updates and support from Microsoft is ending for WinXP, you'll still be able to use it. I used Win3 for years with no support before upgrading (being dragged and screaming all the way) .

And the only way you can upgrade to Win7 is by download from Microsoft. If you go out and buy a new computer ... you get Win 8. (Unless you go to a Mac )

Old 12-15-2013, 03:09 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you go out and buy a new computer ... you get Win 8. (Unless you go to a Mac )
So not true. Anyone can purchase a Dell, HP or likely other PC from the business/education segment of the PC maker and get Windows 7 on a new machine, whether desktop or laptop.

Latitude 3330 Education and Small Business Laptop | Dell

Dell Inspiron 660 Desktop Details | Dell

HP ProBook 400 Series - NEW! - HP ProBook Notebook PC | Official HP® Business Store

Essential Desktop PCs - Desktops & All-in-Ones

Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM

306 posts, read 416,560 times
The Google Chromebooks are a good option for most folks, they do all you need and can be had for 279.00. Windows XP will continue to be used many places, at least until 8 is more Enterprise friendly. Where you will start running into problems with XP is as web sites update you may have a harder time using them.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you go out and buy a new computer ... you get Win 8. (Unless you go to a Mac )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
So not true. Anyone can purchase a Dell, HP or likely other PC from the business/education segment of the PC maker and get Windows 7 on a new machine, whether desktop or laptop.
Notice I said "go out"? I meant a sticks and bricks store. Like Best Buy.

Besides, you couldn't pay me to buy a Dell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers