Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:08 PM

307 posts, read 405,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Brand and designation of laptop and what game are you running, please.

also

Amazon.com: Notebook Cooler, Silver, ZM-NC2000: Electronics

I used this in Iraq, with the fans on. Worked great. I still use it now, without the fans. It's a giant aluminum heat sink. I'm using it right now. Actually, I use it every time I use my own personal laptop or my work one, because it keeps everything nice and cool.
HP Pavilion g7-1310us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
it seems to be happening wigth just one game. Youtube and my other games dont cause it to shut down.
Even though this is only happening with one specific game, it still sounded like an overheating issue. It might be happening with that one game because it might be much more CPU/GPU intensive than the others. Do you hear the hard drive or the fan spinning/humming faster at least at certain times when playing that game? Does the game seem to be lagging even a little bit and on occasion?

As others suggested, check the fan and see if it requires cleaning. Regardless of what kind of an electrical or electronic equipment it is (la;top, PC, stereo, DVD player, hair dryer), you NEVER should block the ventilation points.

It would be same as someone stuffing a sock in your mouth while putting a clothesline clip on your nose!

Normally laptops do not need additional cooling unless you are in a dusty, hot as hell place like Iraq. Just make sure the vents/fans are not covered which, if facing down, means using some sort of a riser.

Hopefully you haven't damaged any capacitors on the mobo, video card or in the psu.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
How to prevent and deal with overheating - HP Support Forum - 295146

Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Brand and designation of laptop and what game are you running, please.

also

Amazon.com: Notebook Cooler, Silver, ZM-NC2000: Electronics

I used this in Iraq, with the fans on. Worked great. I still use it now, without the fans. It's a giant aluminum heat sink. I'm using it right now. Actually, I use it every time I use my own personal laptop or my work one, because it keeps everything nice and cool.
I agree with having a notebook cooler... but found one that was not aluminum, but twin fans that blew air into the air vents, at a Best Buy about a year ago for $25.... Of course do what all the other posters say about cleaning the vents.....
They work great. Forced-air cooling if far more effective than just conduction alone.

As an aside I took one of these coolers apart, and the low-profile fans that draw a low enough power to be driven by USB are a great idea... and are extremely quiet. Found just the fans on the web, dirt cheap, and now run them on the all the A/V receivers (as they have USB).

In my experience, I have found that laptops struggle with heavy-use applications. I run BOINC on numerous tower machines, but not on the HP quad-core laptop. The app uses 100% of the CPU (8 instances) and GPU 24/7, and even with external cooling fans, the exhaust air temperature makes me uncomfortable, in terms of compromising the laptop longevity.

Depending on the machine, semi-recent PC's have apps that will let you look at a pile of internal temperatures, or to get a very rough idea, a temperature gun pointed at the heat sinks will at least be a start. Obviously the fan controller has sensors, to control the fan's speed.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 PM

307 posts, read 405,379 times
thanks Im gonna check bestbuy and kmart tomorrow for compressed air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers