Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 01:18 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,533,682 times

Advertisements

If you're just reading an ebook, is there much difference between using a tablet computer and a reader like Kindle?

The only difference might be how reflective the screen is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 PM

498 posts, read 978,190 times
There's a huge difference. Most ereaders (such as the non-Fire Kindles) use what is called eink, which replicates text on the screen in a manner very similar to print on paper (it's hard to describe). With a good ereader it's very easy to forget that you're looking at a screen and not a sheet of paper. These sorts of screens typically have optional side-lighting which pushes the light from the sides onto the page, rather than from the page directly to your eyes. There are also a few out there that have a sort of back lighting behind the screen that glows through the screen.

With tablets and other sorts, you're looking at a screen whose lighting is going directly from the source to your eyes. This gets very uncomfortable after long periods and simply can't match a good e-ink screen for readability and comfort.

The only use I find for reading on a tablet is when I'm using technical books or textbooks, things that I'd make heavy use of the index and which have a lot of color that I don't want to lose and formatting that wouldn't transfer well to an ereader.

Personally I use a Kobo Aura HD and I read 1-2 hours every day. For reading regular novels, I'd hate to have to use anything but my ereader.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,533,682 times
Is it true that touchscreens don't have the eink-like screen, because you can't make a touchscreen that looks like an eink screen?

Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM

498 posts, read 978,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is it true that touchscreens don't have the eink-like screen, because you can't make a touchscreen that looks like an eink screen?
No, most good ereaders these days have touchscreens. It is not, however, the same style as you'd see on an iPad or whatever. It's touch sensitive and is used for turning pages and navigating menus, but you don't have the same instant response or dragging graphics and such.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
The e-ink screens use a form of edge lighting to light the page - the screens themselves are not lit, it is just a very efficient type of book light, and it can be turned off if you don't need it. It LOOKS like the page is lit from behind, but it isn't.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If you're just reading an ebook, is there much difference between using a tablet computer and a reader like Kindle?
We do not have tablet computers, we primarily use desktops. My wife does a lot of reading. She got the Kindle Fire HDX 7" Tablet three months ago. She loves it. She has her own home office and her own computer with 19" LCD monitor and she prefers to use the Kindle to read eBooks more than her on her desktop...

She can buy her own "tablet computer" with no problem but says she likes her current setup...

Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We do not have tablet computers, we primarily use desktops. My wife does a lot of reading. She got the Kindle Fire HDX 7" Tablet three months ago. She loves it. She has her own home office and her own computer with 19" LCD monitor and she prefers to use the Kindle to read eBooks more than her on her desktop...

She can buy her own "tablet computer" with no problem but says she likes her current setup...
The Kindle Fire HDX IS a tablet, not an e-reader. I think Amazon managed to confuse the heck out of everyone by calling their line of basically Android tablets Kindle Fire as compared to their e-ink Kindles e-readers (Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite).

The Kindle Fire is an LCD screen - like a regular computer monitor or a cell phone - multimedia device (music, movies, audiobooks, etc) with a full-function web browser.

The Kindle Paperwhite is an e-ink book reader. Period. Yes, it has an "experimental mode" web browser which is pretty much useless, unless you are really, really REALLY determined that you have to access the web right now, no matter how horrible the experience is.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The Kindle Fire HDX IS a tablet, not an e-reader. I think Amazon managed to confuse the heck out of everyone by calling their line of basically Android tablets Kindle Fire as compared to their e-ink Kindles e-readers (Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite).

The Kindle Fire is an LCD screen - like a regular computer monitor or a cell phone - multimedia device (music, movies, audiobooks, etc) with a full-function web browser.

The Kindle Paperwhite is an e-ink book reader. Period. Yes, it has an "experimental mode" web browser which is pretty much useless, unless you are really, really REALLY determined that you have to access the web right now, no matter how horrible the experience is.
Understood... And to think I use to design and test electronic circuits in the 70's...

I advised my wife. She said she preferred the Kindle Fire HDX to the basic "e-ink" display which functioned only as an e-reader...

Thanks for the intro.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
There's a huge difference. Most ereaders (such as the non-Fire Kindles) use what is called eink, which replicates text on the screen in a manner very similar to print on paper (it's hard to describe). With a good ereader it's very easy to forget that you're looking at a screen and not a sheet of paper. These sorts of screens typically have optional side-lighting which pushes the light from the sides onto the page, rather than from the page directly to your eyes. There are also a few out there that have a sort of back lighting behind the screen that glows through the screen.

With tablets and other sorts, you're looking at a screen whose lighting is going directly from the source to your eyes. This gets very uncomfortable after long periods and simply can't match a good e-ink screen for readability and comfort.

The only use I find for reading on a tablet is when I'm using technical books or textbooks, things that I'd make heavy use of the index and which have a lot of color that I don't want to lose and formatting that wouldn't transfer well to an ereader.

Personally I use a Kobo Aura HD and I read 1-2 hours every day. For reading regular novels, I'd hate to have to use anything but my ereader.
I bought my Kindle Touch 10/11 and absolutely love it! I may eventually get a Kindle Fire tablet but absolutely not for the purpose of reading....E-ink ONLY for any eReader I use! I LOVE E-ink.it's so soothing to your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers