Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Oh yes, it does.
MSE updates take place almost every day. But these updates involve such small files and alone they are done so quickly that they are completely unobtrusive. If you want to see how often they take place:

Start > Windows update > View update history

Some OS and related updates can be large and can slow things down a bit. I try to do my MSE updates alone, and they are done fast. I usually do the others (the OS type) when I know I'm going to be away from the pc for awhile. Most of the time they also require a restart of the pc, which MSE updates do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,748,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
MSE updates take place almost every day. But these updates involve such small files and alone they are done so quickly that they are completely unobtrusive. If you want to see how often they take place:

Start > Windows update > View update history

Some OS and related updates can be large and can slow things down a bit. I try to do my MSE updates alone, and they are done fast. I usually do the others (the OS type) when I know I'm going to be away from the pc for awhile. Most of the time they also require a restart of the pc, which MSE updates do not.
I ran the program for 6 months and I know exactly what it does and how "obtrusive" it is. And yet others keep trying to counter that experience with misinformation.

I've stated the facts and, I guess like with most other threads, others will have to sort through the posts to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,996,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
So if you are still running XP and microsoft security essentials, you will have seen the nag screen by now.
New twist started yesterday, a definition update to security essentials has made XP run like crap.
Even machines where windows update is turned off, the MSE update will cripple it.
Unfortunate programming error or deliberate, I don't know.
But I do know I have seen this 3 times in 2 days.
The issue is being reported in the news:

Buggy Microsoft Security Essentials Update Kicks XP Machines While Down | Maximum PC

Quote:
After more than 12 years of service, Microsoft finally pulled the plug on Windows XP by ceasing to support the operating system last week. However, Microsoft did promise to keep doling out updates for its Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) software, including the version that runs on XP, but in doing so, the Redmond outfit only made things worse. That's because the latest MSE update is causing some XP machines to freeze up and run slow.
Microsoft Security Essentials error stutters Windows XP systems

Quote:
A bad Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) update may have the primary reason behind hamstrung and slow Windows XP systems, new user reports indicate.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-23-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
I never said it wasn't true. I don't think anyone did.Only that there's no way MS is doing this intentionally.

"Anyone with a tinfoil hat will tell you this is entirely intentional on Microsoft's part and nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to get users to upgrade. The real explanation is likely far less insidious, though equally annoying for XP users who had hopes of holding onto the legacy OS for at least a little while longer."

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I ran the program for 6 months and I know exactly what it does and how "obtrusive" it is. And yet others keep trying to counter that experience with misinformation.

I've stated the facts and, I guess like with most other threads, others will have to sort through the posts to separate the wheat from the chaff.
After reading the links posted by RD5050 about the trouble with MSE and XP I'm going to have to qualify what I said because my experience is only with MSE running with Vista and Windows 7. I've never had that kind of a problem on my systems.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 PM

23 posts, read 26,283 times
Hey,

Why don't you try installing anti-virus software such as Avira which is free and then scan your computer... if you have done that and still facing the same issue. I would suggest you try using Synei System Utilities. As even, I was facing lots of issues with my computer then my friend suggested me to install Synei System Utilities. Afetr installing it...my computer, it work fast and solved all the problems which I was facing such as taking loads of time to open applications etc

This software is so awesome. It literally made my computer much faster. Has anyone else tried it?

You can download it from here: Synei System Utilities speeds up computer for maximum performance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers