Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,010,374 times

Advertisements

First of all, it's not a pirated copy of Windows 7. I purchased an upgrade copy back in Win7 first came out, mainly to get my hands on the newest version of Windows Media Center.

My hard drive bit the dust. So I reinstalled. AND I FORGOT TO INSTALL AN OLD COPY OF WINDOWS FIRST so I could overwrite it using my upgrade copy. (I always thought that was a horrible way to go about it. Why can't I just pop an old version of Windows into my computer. I can go back as far as 3.1, although I don't have a floppy disk drive anymore.)

Because of the hassle of setting up WMC to work with HD-TV via a satellite box, I have absolutely no desire to reinstall Vista, or XP, or even Windows 95 or 3.1 just to remove the ridiculous copyright warning that pops up 20 times a day.

Is there any way to fix this? It's merely annoying. Everything still works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:53 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,219,297 times
We err on the caution side here when questions of an illegal nature pop up...

Google/Bing is your best friend...

Old 07-07-2014, 12:27 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,916,304 times
id contact Microsoft support. they'll ask questions,etc.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 AM

No point in quoting.

I've already contacted Microsoft support: "Just reload an older copy of windows and reinstall." That's their textbook answer. It's a useless answer. But that's what they're directed to say.

I have Googled workarounds, and apparently so has Microsoft. Because the known "fixes" don't work. They work for a little while, and then it's back to "This copy of Windows isn't genuine."

I'm not asking for any illegal advice -- I own a legitimate upgrade copy of 7. And I own Vista, XP, 95 and even 3.1. They're all still in their boxes. I'm asking if there's a way to get my copy of 7 to recognize that I own older copies of Windows. Microsoft techs do not deviate from their script. And apparently the answer is "tough luck, reinstall."

And if that's the case, I'll deal with the nag screen until THIS hard drive crashes. It's merely annoying. Everything still works -- including Media Center, which takes me several hours to set up and tweak. I'm quite sick of installing Media Center. But there's nothing out there which works as well (once it's properly set up and tweaked). It will be a VERY good day for me when the Open Source community decides to make something that's better than Media Center.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,219,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No point in quoting.

I've already contacted Microsoft support: "Just reload an older copy of windows and reinstall." That's their textbook answer. It's a useless answer. But that's what they're directed to say.

I have Googled workarounds, and apparently so has Microsoft. Because the known "fixes" don't work. They work for a little while, and then it's back to "This copy of Windows isn't genuine."

I'm not asking for any illegal advice -- I own a legitimate upgrade copy of 7. And I own Vista, XP, 95 and even 3.1. They're all still in their boxes. I'm asking if there's a way to get my copy of 7 to recognize that I own older copies of Windows. Microsoft techs do not deviate from their script. And apparently the answer is "tough luck, reinstall."

And if that's the case, I'll deal with the nag screen until THIS hard drive crashes. It's merely annoying. Everything still works -- including Media Center, which takes me several hours to set up and tweak. I'm quite sick of installing Media Center. But there's nothing out there which works as well (once it's properly set up and tweaked). It will be a VERY good day for me when the Open Source community decides to make something that's better than Media Center.
All I am going to say, if I found the answer to this you sure as heck can.

Face it, as it stands right now you are running an illegal copy of Windows and here in this forum we don't assist people with possible illegal pirating of software.

What you ask for someone could get permanently banned off of C-D.

Refer to post #2, therein lies the answer to your dilemma....

Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,741,898 times
I call BS. Sorry.
When you have an *Upgrade Install* of any version of Windows it simply will NOT install at all unless it finds a previous version of Windows installed on your computer. There is NO legal way around that. None. Period.
If you continue to ignore it, it should eventually go into "Reduced functionality mode".
And even if, some how, this is legit and you have the magic upgrade copy of Windows 7 that will bypass the check for a previous version... you're dealing with all this because you really just can't be bothered to install Vista first? Really?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I call BS. Sorry.
When you have an *Upgrade Install* of any version of Windows it simply will NOT install at all unless it finds a previous version of Windows installed on your computer. There is NO legal way around that. None. Period.
If you continue to ignore it, it should eventually go into "Reduced functionality mode".
And even if, some how, this is legit and you have the magic upgrade copy of Windows 7 that will bypass the check for a previous version... you're dealing with all this because you really just can't be bothered to install Vista first? Really?
No, I'm dealing with this because I don't want to have to reinstall and reconfigure Media Center. Getting WMC to play with my HD capture card, a satellite box and my home network is a royal pain. Installing Vista is a snap.

And it's been several months and no "reduced functionality" mode. Just the annoying nag screen. Unfortunately, the original order number from Microsoft was on the drive the died. Otherwise the polite techs in India say this would be easy to fix.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,872,127 times
Yeh I'd either reinstall or throw 100 bucks at a standard copy and be done with it...not worth the time trying to get it to work IMO

Old 07-07-2014, 01:21 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,145,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Getting WMC to play with ... a satellite box
How does it connect to your satellite service? I was under the impression that the two weren't compatible.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,671,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How does it connect to your satellite service? I was under the impression that the two weren't compatible.
Same here ... I don't know of any satellite services that provide Cable Cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers