Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,877,356 times

Advertisements

I'd say this is not a good time to buy a laptop or a desktop since Microsoft's announcement of their upcoming Windows 10 OS. I wouldn't spend any money right now on a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 computers.

I have a Windows 8.1 computer and I can say that I am impressed with its performance, but since the public has not accepted 8/8.1, I'd say hold off on buying a new one until early next year, when new computers will be available with 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:32 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,721,315 times
Disagree. Windows 10 won't be out until probably May. That's like 7 months. Not worth waiting. And what if it sucks? Don't think it will but.... I wouldn't recommend waiting for that.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,368,744 times
Right, especially when he need a computer like NOW!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree. Windows 10 won't be out until probably May. That's like 7 months. Not worth waiting. And what if it sucks? Don't think it will but.... I wouldn't recommend waiting for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Right, especially when he need a computer like NOW!
That's understandable, being stuck between a rock and a hard place is not a good thing sometimes when it comes to computers.

To the OP, you mentioned a couple of 5 year-old HPs (with Vista or 7?) since you weren't too specific on the their "Sad state of affairs", I can't tell you if either one of them is worth fixing without looking at them, but if it's possible, assuming their physical condition is okay, I would take one or both of them to a computer repair shop (not Geek Squad) I like the smaller ones, and have them diagnosed to see if they can fix whatever problems they have on them, and if they're worth fixing and/or upgrading the operating systems on them. Unlike Fry's Electronics or Best Buy, those smaller places won't charge you an arm and a leg for diagnostics. Keep in mind also that with such old laptops, you may spend the money fixing them, but in a year or two, the disk drive or other components may go bad, so you'll be back to square one. That's why spending money on old laptops like that can be a bit risky. If you do decide to get one of them fixed, I'd say keep it away from the kids too.

Another option is to get a new Windows 8.1 desktop with the Intel i5 processor, and 8 GB of memory. Asus, HP and Lenovo make good ones for about $400 (no monitor) and you'll have to spend time learning to work with Windows 8.1, since it has a completely different look and feel than 7 and previous versions of Windows, that is if you decide to use the so-called "Metro/Tile interface", but the good thing about 8.1 is you can use the familiar "Desktop" interface with the "Start Menu" on the task bar.

There are still some companies, including HP, who are selling computers with Windows 7 on them, but in some cases you may end up paying more for one with 7 than a comparable unit with 8.1. If you want a Windows 7 computer, you'll need to get it soon because I believe they're going to stop shipping such computers in the very near future.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 PM

230 posts, read 398,695 times
Default Thank You

Thank You all very much for your responses. I wish I could wait a bit until new Windows hits the market. But for my purposes Widows 7 is just fine. I'm not in the computer industry, I'm in healthcare and have only very basic knowledge of the computer use. Actually I did think about fixing 1 or both of those laptops. i think the one from 2008 has Vista and the one from (I believe) from late 2009 - earlier 2010 has Windows 7. Both are banged up with some loose keys on keyboard. The one w/ Widows 7 keyboard is n ot working, but I use external keyboard via USB and it's fine. The other older 2008 w/ Vista has mostly damaged scree, and some loose keys. I realize that both can be fixed. But is it really worth it? Don't get me wrong. We are on the budget and I'm not looking for ways to waste more money. But those two laptops are definitely an aging fleet LOL. Like it was mentioned here, if it's not one thing then it's another, and finally disc may go too. I can't afford it in my program. But really wanted to stick with under or at $500 bucks for desktop without monitor buy. If you happened to come accross some good deals (in your estimation) and it's open to public kindly post or DM me a link.

Thank You all again.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:35 AM

43,323 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
Thank You all very much for your responses. I wish I could wait a bit until new Windows hits the market. But for my purposes Widows 7 is just fine. I'm not in the computer industry, I'm in healthcare and have only very basic knowledge of the computer use. Actually I did think about fixing 1 or both of those laptops. i think the one from 2008 has Vista and the one from (I believe) from late 2009 - earlier 2010 has Windows 7. Both are banged up with some loose keys on keyboard. The one w/ Widows 7 keyboard is n ot working, but I use external keyboard via USB and it's fine. The other older 2008 w/ Vista has mostly damaged scree, and some loose keys. I realize that both can be fixed. But is it really worth it? Don't get me wrong. We are on the budget and I'm not looking for ways to waste more money. But those two laptops are definitely an aging fleet LOL. Like it was mentioned here, if it's not one thing then it's another, and finally disc may go too. I can't afford it in my program. But really wanted to stick with under or at $500 bucks for desktop without monitor buy. If you happened to come accross some good deals (in your estimation) and it's open to public kindly post or DM me a link.

Thank You all again.
It is not difficult or expensive to replace a laptop keyboard.
I wear keyboards out with heavy-handed use.

You can probably buy the keyboard new on eBay for $15-$30 and it takes just a few minutes to install it.
That is your budget play right there.

And, keep it away from the kids....

Old 10-07-2014, 07:22 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,721,315 times
What Mike said. ESPECIALLY that generation of laptops. Beyond easy to replace keyboards.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
I wanted to get something that is more or less a modern version of the desktop, for basic duties, and most importantly without breaking a bank for it.
I have been buying HP for a long time. I have been buying HP from my local Costco for about 10 years. They have a free extended warranty when bought from Costco. Hassle free and good prices.

Quote:
most importantly without breaking a bank for it
My daughters desktop for college was in the $300 range and still working three years later.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Thank You all again.
It wouldn't be worth fixing the one with Vista and the damaged screen as it would cost you probably more than a new laptop, plus it's older internal hardware that would need to be replaced.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:34 PM

20,402 posts, read 14,689,603 times
I taught myself how to build computers and I will never, EVER buy a pre built one again. It doesn't take that long to learn and you don't have to be some kind of a genius, it really isn't hard to do.

I had a friend ask me to build him a "decent gaming computer" that he could "upgrade later" on a $500 budget. Well, fortunately for him he had all of the peripherals already and I happened to have some RAM sitting around, and I got it down to $589. It's got a nice big full sized case like he wanted, a fantastic motherboard and a fourth gen i5 with the integrated HD graphics. He is able to run his games, it's just he's got to tone down settings on some of the most intense ones. He can get a video card later on, and plans on it.

But whether you're willing to learn, or just insist on sticking to the pre-built systems, I'd advise you sign up for email promos from Newegg (you will get one email per day usually) and look at their deals. They've got bargains on all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers