Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:15 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

What would one expect to pay a host for a server configured like this?
And does it seem like a good solution for intensive database use?

- CPU: Intel Xeon E3 quad core, 3.3GHz
- RAM: 16GB
- Disk: 1x 256GB SSD
- 100Mbps network port speed
- 10TB/monthly bandwidth limit
- CentOS Linux and DirectAdmin control panel
- Daily data backups & systems management by "-------" Hosting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Assuming we're talking about a Dedicated and not a VPS, then I'd guess 250+.

And I wouldn't count on their backup, at all, so you'll need to grab a secondary backup service like BQ Backup.

As far as the DB intensive use, there are a lot of variables involved, so it's hard to say without more detail.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Assuming we're talking about a Dedicated and not a VPS, then I'd guess 250+.

And I wouldn't count on their backup, at all, so you'll need to grab a secondary backup service like BQ Backup.

As far as the DB intensive use, there are a lot of variables involved, so it's hard to say without more detail.
Definitely managed dedicated server.
I know I shouldn't depend on their backup and have ability to back up my stuff. Yet, I have a lot of faith in the service provider.
And the database is accessed from a primary service on a 3rd party server, so I can't really "lose" it. If they lose it, I have nothing anyway.

Refreshing 2 15GB+/- Databases nightly from the 3rd party server, text and photos, along with calls 24/7 on 15 minute intervals for near real time updates.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What would one expect to pay a host for a server configured like this?
And does it seem like a good solution for intensive database use?

- CPU: Intel Xeon E3 quad core, 3.3GHz
- RAM: 16GB
- Disk: 1x 256GB SSD
- 100Mbps network port speed
- 10TB/monthly bandwidth limit
- CentOS Linux and DirectAdmin control panel
- Daily data backups & systems management by "-------" Hosting
I'm just going to raise more questions for you:

For the incremental cost of a 256 SSD, get two and mirror it.

The 100 Mbps is only going to match your internet downloads speeds, I have 150 fios, so that would actually be a limiting factor.

What is going to front end your database?

As far as cost, I have no idea since you can just as easily run your dedicated box at home, in a garage on in your office.

@ $250 a month I need to consider getting into this business. With 5 clients I could even setup a backup colo.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I'm just going to raise more questions for you:

For the incremental cost of a 256 SSD, get two and mirror it.

The 100 Mbps is only going to match your internet downloads speeds, I have 150 fios, so that would actually be a limiting factor.

What is going to front end your database?

As far as cost, I have no idea since you can just as easily run your dedicated box at home, in a garage on in your office.

@ $250 a month I need to consider getting into this business. With 5 clients I could even setup a backup colo.

I won't be at $250/month. More like $200, and hoping for less with an annual lump sum payment.

"...front end your database..." does not compute for me.... So, another reason I will pay a fee to a host.

On a tangent... I can easily see the difference between speeds from the office where I have 10 down, and home where I have 30 (usually 33-34) down.
Can you actually perceive the difference between 150 down and 100 down?

Old 10-07-2014, 02:14 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,298 times
Can we perceive the difference, probably not, but outlook synchronization and uploading stuff is incredibly fast.

Moving everyone to 100 mbs might actually be a good idea so no one hogs all the bandwidth. It hasn't been an issue so far.

We care more about upload than download. Very few websites will push data to us at over 100mbs.

You have a data base, how do you access it, a website?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Can we perceive the difference, probably not, but outlook synchronization and uploading stuff is incredibly fast.

Moving everyone to 100 mbs might actually be a good idea so no one hogs all the bandwidth. It hasn't been an issue so far.

We care more about upload than download. Very few websites will push data to us at over 100mbs.

You have a data base, how do you access it, a website?
It's an MLS database, and fairly busy.
And, if the MLS downloads to me at 100mbps, I will be truly amazed.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,705 times
https://support.gorillaservers.com/o...9_display=true

THAT is a good server and a great price if you want to spend $200 a month.

https://gorillaservers.com/dedicated.php -- Equipment better than you quoted for $99 a month.

You'll be hard pressed to find any better deals. I'm not spamming these guys, I am a customer of theirs. Look at my posts and you'll see I dont spam links anywhere. I havent found any better deals since, used them for the last 14 months now. While you can not call them over the phone, they answer their email support within 5-10 minutes for anything I need.

Be warned, it's not a support company. They rent you the hardware. Configuring your own hardware is up to you. If you break your ftp server, that's on you to fix it. It's an unmanaged dedicated server company.

Ben

Old 10-19-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
https://support.gorillaservers.com/o...9_display=true

THAT is a good server and a great price if you want to spend $200 a month.

https://gorillaservers.com/dedicated.php -- Equipment better than you quoted for $99 a month.

You'll be hard pressed to find any better deals. I'm not spamming these guys, I am a customer of theirs. Look at my posts and you'll see I dont spam links anywhere. I havent found any better deals since, used them for the last 14 months now. While you can not call them over the phone, they answer their email support within 5-10 minutes for anything I need.

Be warned, it's not a support company. They rent you the hardware. Configuring your own hardware is up to you. If you break your ftp server, that's on you to fix it. It's an unmanaged dedicated server company.

Ben
Thanks, Ben.
That IS some interesting pricing, albeit without management.

More than looking for a new host, I am curious about hardware requirements and configurations.
I have used a VPS with my current host for several years. They are local to me and I am satisfied with their service. Tranquil Hosting Dedicated Servers and Managed VPS

I know I need a managed server. That's just how it is.
And I know that service isn't free.

"A man's got to know his limitations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-19-2014 at 05:53 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 05:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Any reason why you are looking at specific hardware requirements instead of using elastic beanstalk, app engine or something similar? Unless you have a very unusual use case (real-time rendering of video or something), it seems a bit archaic to deal with hardware requirements and physical servers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers