Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

40 posts, read 199,406 times

Advertisements

If there are any computer gurus out there that know how to obtain email passwords, I need your help. My son won't admit to having a seperate email address and I suspect he does. I have an idea of his user ID but have exhausted all avenues of what his password is. He is not allowed on our computer anymore but I know he uses it when he goes to friends homes. We are concerned with some of his behavior he was exhibiting on the computer before being grounded and need to get into this email. Is there any software or ways to get this info?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
If you want to find out what he's doing, buy a program called a key logger. It will record everything anyone types into your PC.

However, this could backfire and completely ruin his trust in you. Is it really worth that?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Keylogger on YOUR system is the only option, because unless you want to get into the realm of illegal behavior, you can't "hack" his password. Plus, even if we were willing to tell you how, we have no idea whether or not your story is what you say it is. We could easily be aiding someone that is trying to do it for dishonest reasons.

Sorry...you're on your own.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 AM

40 posts, read 199,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Keylogger on YOUR system is the only option, because unless you want to get into the realm of illegal behavior, you can't "hack" his password. Plus, even if we were willing to tell you how, we have no idea whether or not your story is what you say it is. We could easily be aiding someone that is trying to do it for dishonest reasons.

Sorry...you're on your own.

Makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of it looking that way. I guess I shouldn't have used the word Hacking :-) Sorry

I am looking into the keylogger thing. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,418 times
This was made exactly for what you want:

SnoopStick From CYBERsitter

This isn't actually a key logger but tracks email, im and you can track it on that pc or from another pc.

You can do the following

Monitor real time activity
View recorded activity from any day
View Instant messages
Record all websites visited
See real-time recorded snap shots of sites visited
Record all incoming and outgoing e-mail acitivity
Restrict activity by name or type of program
Restrict activity by date and time
Restrict access to selected websites
Disable/enable all internet access remotely
Completely invisible to user
Automatically updates in background

Hope this helps ....

Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy4agetaway View Post
Makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of it looking that way. I guess I shouldn't have used the word Hacking :-) Sorry

I understand you want to understand what your son is up to, but a keylogger itself doesn't help regain the trust that appears to already not exist.

Honestly, I'd work with the friend and their parents in enforcing the computer use that you and your son can agree to, but not a keylogger. Please. I can't imagine that this will help the situation.

Thats my 2cents having been on the opposite side, and having matured and understood the concerns my parents had.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,973 times
Just be sure you are ready to too see what you may find. I have helped several people at work with there kids and computers. I found out the best way is to have a talk with your kids about there online behavor and how it affects the whole family. Hopefully they are not too selfish or neive to think certain things can happen to him.

This is kinda off topic, but for people at work the best plan we figured out was then ones who had myspace pages, there parents were on there top friends list, so all there friends knew not to say anythign stupid on the page or kept it in privtate. This worked out very well for most involved.

The others who chose not to let there kids have myspace. After a few hours at work of snooping around, we found a lot of them had pages anyway, and after a little more snooping around, even the ones who had private pictures we were able to see and some of this stuff was.

Communication and trust with you children is paramount when issues like this come up. If you never had trust with them it could be a issue, or this may just be some rebillion years and hopefully they will turn around.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,838 times
Default Who is the parent here

Your son might be suspect but breaking into his email is uncalled for - how would you feel if someone broke into your email...regardless of whats going on or what he is doing please...dont let the parent and child trust you have be thrown under the bus because of a stupid mistake.

The best key to resolve this is communication - talk to him to really find out and stop assuming and suspecting he does because if he has to go through hell to talk to you about this he would rather not so please learn to communicate with him instead....there is nothing worse than messing up the trust you have with your kids.

============

Quote:
If there are any computer gurus out there that know how to obtain email passwords, I need your help. My son won't admit to having a seperate email address and I suspect he does. I have an idea of his user ID but have exhausted all avenues of what his password is. He is not allowed on our computer anymore but I know he uses it when he goes to friends homes. We are concerned with some of his behavior he was exhibiting on the computer before being grounded and need to get into this email. Is there any software or ways to get this info?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:

I'm scratching my head over this one. He's not allowed to use your computer anymore, but your trying to hack into his email account? Um.. let me try this again.

YOUR TRYING TO HACK INTO YOUR SONS EMAIL ACCOUNT, an account that he doesnt even use on YOUR computer?

What your trying to do could be considered borderline illegal, at the very least immoral, why dont you go read his diary while your at it?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:

Yeah, thats it, go buy a keylogger, then let him know that you dont trust him, and that anything he does on your computer will be tracked, and he'll simply stop accessing it from home. Woo, good job there, chasing your son out of the home to do computer work instead of encouraging open communication and giving him trust by not invading his privacy.

Way to go parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers