Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 AM

118 posts, read 132,062 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband's laptop has been a pain for a week now. I have tried everything I can think of. Rebooting, removing the RAM and hard drive and put them back on and still no luck. It sounds like it's running when I turn it on but the screen is off. Light indicators are on except for the HDD indicator.

I was thinking of just replacing the hard drive. But is there anything I should do to it to revive it other than maybe replacing hard drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:52 AM

7,523 posts, read 13,645,526 times
Have you followed the troubleshooting instructions given here:

Troubleshooting Assistant

Old 03-04-2016, 03:14 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,298,210 times
If you removed the RAM and powered it on with no RAM in it.. In theory, you should have gotten a BIOS Beep Code.

If you did NOT.. That would indicate to me that the main board has failed.

That's not a 100% test, but it's a pretty good one.

The fact that you're not even seeing the BIOS screen, but are obviously getting power.. That tells me that most likely the power itself is good.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,778,755 times
This is a nearly seven year old laptop, so whatever you do don't put much money into it as it will cheaper to replace it with current technology than repairing it. IMO pull the hard drive and place it into an external enclosure in order to access your data. You either have a motherboard or processor failure.

specs: Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000 Laptop - AMD Turion II dual-core M500 / 16.0" HD LCD / 4GB DDR2 / 320GB HD / DVD SuperMulti Drive / Built-in webcam / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Old 03-05-2016, 02:57 PM

118 posts, read 132,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is a nearly seven year old laptop, so whatever you do don't put much money into it as it will cheaper to replace it with current technology than repairing it. IMO pull the hard drive and place it into an external enclosure in order to access your data. You either have a motherboard or processor failure.
I was able to turn the laptop back on for a while and then it stopped working again. Fortunately, my husband have saved everything from the laptop to his external hard drive. I agree with you about replacing it with a new one. I may just have to do that.

Thank you!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,837,549 times
All those "D" series Toshiba's had problems with solder joint failures due to the heat. AMD processors ran hotter than Intel's and cases had inadequate cooling. USB ports and sound usually went first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers