Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:37 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times

Advertisements

You can start your own thread. Please.
I assume you mean F? 175 F might be a bit on the high side, but it's not dangerous yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,167,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You can start your own thread. Please.
I assume you mean F? 175 F might be a bit on the high side, but it's not dangerous yet.
Yes, F deg. or 80-90 celsius.
Thank you a lot!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:27 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,551,526 times
I know Best Buy has a price matching guarantee which is good because to me they always seem expensive.I guess that means I can find a good price online and they will have to give me that same price. Still I read somewhere that they use unusual model numbers to make it harder to find an exact match?

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Custome...ee/ta-p/941375

Old 10-16-2016, 10:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Yes, major retailers often have unique model numbers for electronics. Costco is another example. So this makes price matching a bit harder sometimes.

You can always negotiate, though, and if buying locally is important, you might be able to come close to an online price even if the model number is different, as long as the specs are the same.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:23 PM

Well yesterday on Black Friday I visited a Best Buy with serious intentions but decided to wait. I did find one laptop I really liked an Asus that was a little higher than my price range, the sales person claimed that it was also available in open box but then could not locate it anywhere. There were some things I loved about the computer but some things I was not sure about, here are my questions.

I really liked the 4k screen but I wonder if it is worth it ? And if I buy a 4k tv can I use that as a monitor instead?

The screen was glossy not matte and the salesman told me that matte screens were thinner and not as durable as glossy. Is that true? And while I do not like glare I did think that a matte screen I saw in the store had dull colors.

The laptop had both ssd and hdd hard drives and I really only wanted ssd because it has no moving parts that can break and I think it may be less likely to overheat . I also read a review on a different computer that had that feature and the he wrote that the laptop was not letting him choose where to put things so his ssd filled up too quickly . Can you choose in a combination drive which things to put in ssd and which to store on the hdd ?

And finally it was a touch screen and while I liked how the hinges turned all the way around he told me I could not draw directly on the screen in photoshop or use it to sign my name unless it was a mac or a microsoft laptop. I also did not think the touch screen worked very well. Is it true you can't use the Asus touch screen laptop like a wacom drawing tablet?

I will think about buying on cyber Monday and if not will definitely find something in December.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Obviously noone wants a laptop that'll overheat and breakdown. But aside from that, what is it that you need versus what you want? Features, price,size, etc.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,167,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Yes, F deg. or 80-90 celsius.
Thank you a lot!
This laptop has failed after overheating and out of order. Repair does not make sense. I will not pay attention to products from Acer.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Obviously noone wants a laptop that'll overheat and breakdown. But aside from that, what is it that you need versus what you want? Features, price,size, etc.
Well I have an Asus I purchased for my daughter and it never overheats but I have read that some of their gaming laptops can get very hot. I wanted to stick with Asus if possible because of the nice computer we use now.

I do photoshop as a hobby but only as a hobby still wanted to have something that could be good for graphic art work and maybe trying new things eventually like video work or voice over,or maybe even learning to create mesh. Things like that. I also of course watch movies and tv on here too.

I read Dell is overpriced and some people love Lenovo and some do not like it which makes it hard to decide if I want one or not. I might consider Lenovo if I can't get an Asus, but not sure what their repuation is as far as overheating.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 11-27-2016 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-27-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
This laptop has failed after overheating and out of order. Repair does not make sense. I will not pay attention to products from Acer.
I feel the same way about HP I had one that overheated and died. Sorry to read about your problems with Acer. Definately do not buy an HP.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:13 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
This overheat nonsense is overblown. Laptops and desktops don't overheat unless you overclock it or it's full of dust. Even then, some seriously dusty computers I've seen still manage to not overheat. Not to even mention any modern computer will shut itself down before it gets to the point of overheat.
Clean your PC inside regularly.

To answer questions:
1- Yes, you can use a 4K TV. Personally I think it's overkill to get a 4K computer unless you are a gamer. If you are you need a high end video card for good 4K gaming.

2- Always go with Matte. Glossy sucks. No it's not stronger.

3- IMO you get an SSD for Windows and programs like photoshop but you store everything else on a standard SATA drive.

4- No you can't use an Asus like you can a Surface. There are drawing programs and writing programs, but if the Screen doesn't support a tiny pen type like the Surface, you can't do what the Surface can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers