Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 999,084 times

Advertisements

I have no descriptive title.
What kind of a title could describe this?
Some background.

When I first purchased this pc it came with windows 10.
(six months ago)
When I did the first boot to desktop the desktop was horrible!

The background was blurry and the colors on the desktop, the task bar and on every internet page were terrible.

Sign in boxes were colored where they should have been white and you couldn't read the writing/fonts within the boxes.

I sat and experimented for two days, trying to get a normal setting!
Nothing worked until, by accident I came upon something in the display.

I changed the settiing from a high number to a lower number and .. just like that, everything was normal!

Here is why I'm so upset
Last night the pc shut down and started updating.
The screen kept changing colors and the message that the pc would shut down and restart numerous times was displayed.

It took at least a half hour to update and when it did .. I am back at everything being messed up like it was when I first started out!!

I suspect microsoft forced a windows 10 upgrade on my pc when I didn't need one.
I already had widows 10!

Not only that, I wanted to do a restore and guess what .. the restore had been shut off and there were no restore points to return to even though I had numerous restore points before this 'upgrade'?

I have no idea where or how I made the changes from last time because I was just lucky.
Changing the DPI does nothing and if I remember, the last time .. when I fixed the problem, the box that I changed had to do with DPI or D something!

Before you ask, a screen shot wont help you to see the problem because on a normal pc, the screen shots look normal.
(I went through all of that the last time)

I have 'captured' the updates that it says I have installed within the last few days.
I haven't seen any update action today even though all of them are listed as today .. Except the one at the bottom?

Is That the update that messed me up from last night and can I remove it?

I Need Help!

Last edited by toosie; 09-29-2016 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: More appropriate title - please keep it PG-13 and don't try to bypass profanity filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 05:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,545,585 times
Yes, some of these updates are a PITA.

You no doubt have several problems to deal with here. What kind of machine do you have? What kind of display?

Your first goal is to make sure the display resolution is set properly. 1920x1080 is most common these days, but there are others. When your monitor output is set to the right size (settings/display/advanced settings), things may look small but that is easily fixed back to settings/display. Note the slider below "change the size...

Those two things should fix most of your problems. If not, check back in!

Old 09-28-2016, 05:18 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,499,088 times
If it was screwed up when you got it, why didn't you return it?

Old 09-28-2016, 05:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,226,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

Before you ask, a screen shot wont help you to see the problem because on a normal pc, the screen shots look normal.
Um, what?

Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,612,458 times
Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Display, then click Change display settings. Make sure the Resolution setting matches the native resolution of your monitor. You can find that by searching for your particular monitor or laptop.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:10 AM

23,180 posts, read 26,326,518 times
I feel for you. Did you see my thread?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...verything.html

Old 09-29-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Display, then click Change display settings. Make sure the Resolution setting matches the native resolution of your monitor. You can find that by searching for your particular monitor or laptop.
Uh, ah, isn't this a repeat?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,270,851 times
And thus yet another reason why I stayed with 7. I do not like anything forced on me, 10 was forced on those who did not know how to stop it, I did the research, so I knew how to stay with 7.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 AM

^ I like win10, but I do hate those forced updates. Historically, I found it best to wait a few weeks before installing an update, so MS could get the bugs out. Yes, some updates have been, and still are, buggy. But you can't delay anymore, and the most recent update does force some new software down our throats, although it can be removed.

All this in the quest to monetize our activities in the same manner that our smart phones do, that software like facebook and google do.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,975,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ I like win10, but I do hate those forced updates. Historically, I found it best to wait a few weeks before installing an update, so MS could get the bugs out. Yes, some updates have been, and still are, buggy. But you can't delay anymore, and the most recent update does force some new software down our throats, although it can be removed.

All this in the quest to monetize our activities in the same manner that our smart phones do, that software like facebook and google do.
Funny thing is mine do end up delayed by at least 3 or 4 days, because Windows 10 is stupid. It waits until I am using the computer to go, "Hey, I need to update." To which I respond, "Too bad, I'm using this right now, schedule for 4am." It fails to update at 4am, and the next day while I am using it, the process repeats, it bugs me to update, I schedule, it fails to update at the scheduled time. I let this continue until such time as it actually does update on it's own at the scheduled time, and it is usually 3 or 4 days til it does, though I have had this happen for almost a full week once until it finally updated itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers