Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:18 PM

19,468 posts, read 28,012,249 times

Advertisements

I use my laptop primarily for cruising around the internet, documents and photos. I'm not into gaming, but my beloved 8 year old Samsung R530 is frustratingly slow at almost every task. Pulling up documents, getting on the internet, booting up, uploading a photo to yahoo groups was downright impossible. Firefox locks at least several times a week.

I'm thinking of buying this laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-N.../dp/B01DT4A2R4

One of the things I don't understand is that it only has a 256GB hard drive - which sounds VERY small. BUT it's a "flash memory solid state" drive I don't know what that means. I do store a lot of photos and documents, and I'd rather not mess with a separate hard drive (but I could).

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:34 PM

22,010 posts, read 25,367,265 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Solid state drives are expensive for higher capacity. 256 GB is pretty standard even on far pricier laptops than that is. 1 TB drives aren't terrible economically nowadays but they're still expensive, figure $250-300. Easiest way to tell if 256 GB is too small is look at the drive on your eight-year-old laptop and how much space you're using. If you haven't filled up 256 GB on it in eight years, 256 GB is more than enough. I have a 128 GB SSD on my laptop. Spending the extra $200 (my laptop is not upgradable as that one is) wouldn't have been an huge issue but it's $200 for something I won't use so why spend the money. I mean, if it's eight years old you've probably got at most 500 GB, no?

Looks like there's a slot to add a second hard drive, so you could just pick up a 500 GB or 1 TB conventional drive for extra storage. They're about a third of the price of an SSD so not too expensive. $50 for a 500, maybe $90 for a 1 TB drive.

Cheaper option may just be to stick some more RAM in what you've got, although as old as it is you might just want to upgrade. Probably what's happening is you're running out of RAM and then it writes to the page file on the hard drive which is slow.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-05-2016 at 03:44 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 05:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,227,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

One of the things I don't understand is that it only has a 256GB hard drive - which sounds VERY small. BUT it's a "flash memory solid state" drive I don't know what that means. I do store a lot of photos and documents, and I'd rather not mess with a separate hard drive (but I could).

Help?
Standard hard drives are mechanical, they have what is called a platter that spins and read write head to read or write information from the platter. That is the whirring and clicking you hear, it's very similar to a record player.

A SSD has no mechanics in it, it's all electronic. Generally speaking they are much faster, where you will see the big difference is boot times and when you start a program. For general use you will not have much if any benefit over regular hard drive.

As malloric suggested sticking some RAM in it may help, fresh install of the OS should also help. The only problem there is it's so old you are likely to have other issues with it making the investment a gamble.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:17 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,210,193 times
I replaced my laptop's HDD with a SSD, then took out my DVD drive and use my HDD there as my storage drive. Got a cable to connect my DVD drive externally for the rare times when I need to use it. You might want to repurpose your current laptop's HDD in that manner once you get this new laptop.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM

17,738 posts, read 29,991,958 times
Buy this one instead
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPa...dp/B01CWEZENE/

Old 10-06-2016, 06:37 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,823,895 times
Quote:
I use my laptop primarily for cruising around the internet, documents and photos. I'm not into gaming, but my beloved 8 year old Samsung R530 is frustratingly slow at almost every task. Pulling up documents, getting on the internet, booting up, uploading a photo to yahoo groups was downright impossible. Firefox locks at least several times a week.

Help?
The SD card in the front will be sufficient to supplement your storage needs. I use the old platter type hard drives just as backup devices and offline storage.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:30 AM

16,609 posts, read 19,841,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No, do not get this one. #Fail Dave.
The one he posted has an SSD AND a Nvidia 940MX AND a backlit keyboard!?!?
Clearly the better machine. Get the one you posted, OP.
#Fail Dave

Old 10-06-2016, 08:45 AM

19,468 posts, read 28,012,249 times
Thanks for the quick and clear responses! Much appreciated.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:08 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,842,504 times
Quote:

Help?
My new one has two drive bays. It came with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD that I use for everything except programs. 128GB is plenty for the OS. Perfect way to set up a laptop.

1TB 2.5 inch drives sorted by review stars on Amazon

Old 10-06-2016, 11:55 AM

16,609 posts, read 19,841,213 times
I should add I would go with the 256SSD and add an external hard drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers