Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:22 AM

971 posts, read 1,456,686 times

Advertisements

HP Notebook PC showed 6 downloads were ready, so I started the downloads. 20 1/2 hours later it needed to reboot to install. I complied, after installation several proceedures were completely different. After 3 more reboots, the newer WIN10 OS began to settle down enough that I could begin to relearn the system again. I am getting too old for this type of nonsense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 10:05 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,519,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Thank you for your reply bigbear. However, thinking back, I don't recall the internet not being "monetized". From the time in the mid 80's when wife and I paid Tandy Radio Shack for our first computer course and on to the later 80's when I started working with Zeno internet provider. Since we lived in SW Missouri, I had my choice of servers in Kansas City, Mo., Oswego, Oklahoma or Ft. Smith, Arkansas and paying long distance charges to the servers. Needless to say, to hold down the long distance charges, I would log on, download all emails, log off and answered the emails offline to the outbox, log on and upload all emails to Oklahoma since they were the cheapest charges. Looking back I feel that I have been monetized for the past 30 years, 9 months, & 22 days. LOL
:
The situation now is very different from past decades. Used to be that ads were inserted blindly by various websites. Google gained fame and fortune by customizing ads based on current search activity.

Now, our information from browsing and recently, other activities, such as non-web based programs, is collected, aggregated with information from other sources (credit card purchases among them), and used for even more targeted (customized?) advertising efforts, and who knows what else.

Facebook is an interesting example of how high quality information gets collected. Google can read our email if we use gmail. And so forth.

This is all monetization of our computer use, since others make money from our activities.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:36 PM

971 posts, read 1,456,686 times
A correction on one of my previous posts incorrectly listed me using Zeno email server, It was actually Juno email server. I apoligize for the error, seems after I passed 80, the errors come more rapidly. LOL

Old 12-05-2016, 04:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,430,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I think I have stumbled on a kludge "solution." My little Asus fliptop has a hard drive of only 29G (where they got it, I have no idea). With firefox, fbreader, and a few other programs, the good ol' C drive only has less than 10G of free space, and I use USB removable storage for anything else. The last times Windows has tried to update it has complained that it can't because there isn't enough space. Awwww, poor baby. I'm loving it! Again I have a system that is pretty much the same from day to day.

From day one of owning the fliptop, I decided that NOTHING important would ever be on it. With any data stored on the USB drive, if it bricks, oh well, take it back to Walmart and get another or a refund.

IMO, once gamers figure out how to get off that OS, Windows will start to disappear from a LOT of homes.
Yessiree bob omg. I'll let you know how it goes. Their crap is bad for me because I have stuff I write on my PC and use it for various purposes. Automatically updating it without telling me and installing tons of crap on it...is a no no.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,430,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ yes, ads everywhere. Microsoft is trying to monetize our experience, which means ads. But what do you expect for "free"? Remember the Kindle readers, where you can pay more to turn off ads?
Monetize what else? As I recall, I had to pay for their crap operating system.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:15 PM

^ Stay tuned. Ads are on the way.

7 ways Windows 10 pushes ads at you, and how to stop them | PCWorld

More forced advertising creeps into Windows 10 Pro | InfoWorld

Old 12-09-2016, 09:43 PM

20 posts, read 9,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I've just checked online and tried via Windows Update Settings (the usual place). No shut off option? Can I turn this off?

I'm a home AND business user and have important applications for business use on the computer. The Automatic Update ran last week and basically just MESSED up my PC and stopped some of my services and ruined my settings. I'm ranting a bit.

There does not seem to be a way to turn this off. Can anyone verify? If so, I'll be spending some time transitioning to Linux as my OS. BTW this is Windows 10 Home Edition that came with the new PC.
At first I was happy about the auto upadating because I thought that it is a good option. But it messed up a few things of my PC. Then I asked my friends about turning it off. They told me a few things to do to turn off automatic update and I tried those things. I also googled for it but nothing found that could help. Now I am pretty sure that it is impossible to trun off the automatic update in wiondows 10.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 AM

^ you can delay restart, but not indefinitely, unless you keep your computer turned off. I've found that Win10 gets pushier the longer you delay. Probably something to do with promises to advertisers, since each update cycle seems to introduce more advertising?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:22 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,472,890 times
I would not use a Windows 10 computer in a critical use environment. Like financial, medical, police, EAS, air traffic control, etc.

Personally, I don't mind. If something is broken, another update comes in later on that same day. Windows 10 has a way of knowing when it is broken. Usually, powering down the laptop and bringing it back up installs the update anyway.

If you use Windows 10 for casual use, and have other means of computing, it isn't a real issue. If you need your device, like yesterday, you're in for a world of hurt. Especially on Windows Phone, which is an entirely different ball of wax.

Use Linux or Mac. Don't use an earlier version of Windows.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:51 PM

^ seems you don't like the Microsoft ecosystem. Win10 is fine in a "critical use environment" Don't know where you get these ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers