Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,378,628 times

Advertisements

I am needing a new business computer so that I can implement a new inventory control/repair service billing/business sales/tax reporting CD based software program for a client. I have been tasked with selecting a new Windows 10 computer and setting it up for the shop.

The software has already been selected by the sole proprietor shop owner. It is the latest version of a Peachtree program that he happily used some years ago. It is a program that is being used by other small shops in similar circumstances, so is well proven. The software company is discontinuing the owned program licensed software (and support) soon in favor of a cloud based business software service. The shop owner will not use a cloud system for personal reasons.

The computer will never be connected on-line. It will never be used for any purpose other than the service shop business.

Blinding speed/gaming capacity is not relevant for our purposes.

Reliability, serviceability, and durability are paramount. The computer will be used 8-12 hours 6 days per week.

With 20 years of business records and service information stored in CD or DVD format, the computer must have a player for this media.

Computer size is not an issue. There's an existing desktop that will be removed from the workstation, so the computer can be a desktop or smaller unit.

I also need a 24" monitor, keyboard & mouse. A package deal would be OK, but individual components are acceptable as I have preferences in these items. Audio is not a concern, the system will never have audio used with it.

Low first cost is a major concern. My client does not want to pay for a lot of excessive capabilities or speed.

The current desktop is an H-P, 8 years old and functioning perfectly with QuickBooks. The reason for replacement is that he's max'ed out the inventory control capacity of the QuickBooks software. Their upgrade is only available and supported online, which is not acceptable to him. The new computer is needed due to Windows 10 required for the new software.

With "black Friday" deals all over the 'net and in retailers now, it's a bewildering array of choices now.

What computer would you buy? Would you buy it from a retail outlet or on-line?

My thanks in advance for your kind assistance and response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:59 AM

16,620 posts, read 19,877,115 times
You are totally over thinking this. Just about any off the shelf system will do what you need it to.
Just look for a brand you like. Try to get one with a 6th Gen I5 Intel processor and 4GB of RAM and a 1 Terabyte Hard drive.
But really any PC can run one simple Peachtree program 24/7/365. That is not asking much.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,728,818 times
There are legitimate concerns about the ability of "bought at retail" computers NOT having components designed for true business class operation. IF the software is so critical to the operation of the business that if not operational it would be "send everyone home until the computer is fixed" I would strongly recommend buying a SERVER GRADE WORKSTATION. These are still available from HP, Dell, and Lenovo BUT given the relative shifts in those firms I would strongly recommend considering SuperMicro -- Supermicro SuperWorkstation 7048GR-TR - 4U/Tower - 8x SATA - 16x DDR4 - 2000W Redundant An appropriately configured workstation might cost about $3000 but if you think in terms of this being CENTRAL to the operation of the firm it is well worth it!

The base of this recommendation starts with a system that REDUNDANT 2000W power supplies, large number of fans with indicators should they fail, and other features that are now not common in retail computers. A reliable DVD /CD is literally $25. Depending on how much storage is needed for locally accessed data it may be wise to consider "solid state disks" or hot-swappable SAS hard-drives configured with RAID. With 8 or 16 GB or RAM and the minimal Xeon processor this configuration would in some ways be "over kill" for just a record keeping / accounting type small business, but if the shop owner is philosophically opposed to putting data in the cloud they really need to think in terms of reliability !

Old 11-23-2016, 10:27 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,378,628 times
Thanks for the replies.

Uptime/reliability concern was paramount, but it appears that there's few "lemons" out there in the biz anymore which wouldn't meet his requirements. Not knowing the marketplace, I was concerned that I could be setting him up for a less than satisfactory outcome. The biz is at a rural site, so computer downtime is difficult to get repaired.

I gave my client a few options for guidelines and he's selected a refurb/warranteed Dell business computer with an oversize power supply and cooling fans. Has 4GB of RAM and 1 TB hard drive, and DVD player included.

As pointed out, likely far in excess of what is needed for the single program in his business operations.

With a new Dell monitor, Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse ... the whole package well under $400 including shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers