Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:26 AM

186 posts, read 129,480 times

Advertisements

I called Seagate and asked them about transferring from one external drive to another, I was told if I do this that the videos will lose quality, is this true? He said if the 1st external hard drive stopped working that the 2nd one will be left with videos of a lower quality and that if I transfer everything to a 3rd external hard drive that this will have even lower quality

If this is true then this means it's not even worth buying another external drive and if it stops working then that's it, it's over and that I should have bought 2 at the same time and only transfer data from the computer to each of them

Old 12-10-2016, 05:15 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,686,791 times
That's absolutely false. The person you were talking to shouldn't be doing computer support in any way.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,971,581 times
Video files on a computer are digital. When you do exact copy of the file from one media to another, you don't lose video quality. It doesn't matter if the file is located on your C: drive, USB, CD or DVD. If the filers are the same, the video quality is the same.

What is this person thinking? The VHS video days?

Old 12-10-2016, 05:44 AM

just to be sure, is dragging files the same thing as copying and pasting? Don't know why this person told me. He works for Seagate customer service, that's the only reason why I am thinking about not buying another hard drive for backup.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,227,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
I called Seagate and asked them about transferring from one external drive to another, I was told if I do this that the videos will lose quality, is this true? He said if the 1st external hard drive stopped working that the 2nd one will be left with videos of a lower quality and that if I transfer everything to a 3rd external hard drive that this will have even lower quality

If this is true then this means it's not even worth buying another external drive and if it stops working then that's it, it's over and that I should have bought 2 at the same time and only transfer data from the computer to each of them
The only time you lose quality on video is compressing it or re-compressing it and that only applies to compressed format like MPEG, WMV etc. This would only occur in video editing/conversion program.

Formats like MPEG reduce file sizes in video by removing redundant data. In an uncompressed format each frame of video is stored in it's entirety. MPEG only stores information that changes from each frame, this is why if you are watching a video that has little action it can look fantastic and will look like crap once some action occurs if there is not sufficient bitrate.

Each time you re-compress a little more information gets thrown away.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The only time you lose quality on video is compressing it or re-compressing it and that only applies to compressed format like MPEG, WMV etc. This would only occur in video editing/conversion program.

Formats like MPEG reduce file sizes in video by removing redundant data. In an uncompressed format each frame of video is stored in it's entirety. MPEG only stores information that changes from each frame, this is why if you are watching a video that has little action it can look fantastic and will look like crap once some action occurs if there is not sufficient bitrate.

I had to convert a lot of the videos from mkv to wmv in order to watch them and I drag them to the external hard drive. Are you saying if I drag these wmv from this drive to a new drive that it will lose quality?

Old 12-10-2016, 07:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,670,372 times
Default Some one is not clear on the concept...

Quote:
I had to convert a lot of the videos from mkv to wmv in order to watch them and I drag them to the external hard drive. Are you saying if I drag these wmv from this drive to a new drive that it will lose quality?
The converted files are completely portable. You can move them to once drive or one thousand drives, this is EXACTLY what happens with "video sharing" and there is NO LOSS of quality from the movement.

You can use any tools you want to do this -- manually dragging the files works, scripts work, web sites work, transfers to a cloud service, etc...

If you decide to compress the whole contents of the drive and then back that up you will need to decompress that archive but so long as you use take the time to expand the files there will be NO loss of quality.

As someone else said, the "support person" at Seagate was incorrect and/or their answer was not relevent to what you want to do.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,945,178 times
Quote:
I called Seagate and asked them about transferring from one external drive to another, I was told if I do this that the videos will lose quality, is this true?
Absolutely not true! I have been doing this at work and at home for over 15 years... Various videos and many other types of computer files.

I have been keeping my backups on various external drives.

However, I have met a few people who have converted their videos to other formats to save disk space which I consider to be a bad idea. I keep all my original videos which come from the video camera...

Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,537,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

The loss is only true for lossy compression like jpg. However, there are no video formats that are not lossy. Still pictures and audio have several lossless formats (codecs).

That said, copying a digital file would never change it.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Absolutely not true! I have been doing this at work and at home for over 15 years... Various videos and many other types of computer files.

I have been keeping my backups on various external drives.

However, I have met a few people who have converted their videos to other formats to save disk space which I consider to be a bad idea. I keep all my original videos which come from the video camera...
the ONLY reason they were converted was because they could not be viewed on windows media player and they weren't from any video camera either, files that were downloaded online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers