Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,031,234 times

Advertisements

KB3201845 seems to be a discussion topic on a few fronts.

Microsoft pulls KB article 3201845 for Windows 10 14393.479 | InfoWorld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 03:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thanks for your reply - very helpful info.

In my research on this, I'm seeing a lot of reports that make it sound like Lenovos were particularly hard hit (mine is a Lenovo Ideapad). Also seeing a lot of reports from users having no problem with this update. I'm trying to identify a pattern or common thread that would give me some logical guidance toward another computer brand or type that would give me the best chance for some long-term trouble-free performance IF I were able to convince Best Buy to do another upgrade swap. (Grinning) I was wondering if going to, say, an HP might be a good way to go. Well, your experience would certainly cast some doubt on that being the solution.

I ran my own custom builds for 16 years and never had a bit of trouble with them outside of a cheap power supply failure that came included with a case for a W98SE machine and then this hard drive death 3 months ago that put me in unanticipated more-or-less emergency need of a new computer.

So now I've had 2 new laptops - first ones I've owned - in the last 3 months and they both boil down to junk, compared to what I was used to.

For anyone with more laptop expertise who cares to comment....Is this typical of today's commercial computer marketplace? Are MACs relatively free of this kind of headache? I could build another custom desktop, but I really want a laptop for travel. What will raise my chances of a better experience than I've had with these 2 Lenovo Ideapads?
Mine is a Dell Inspiron i7559-7512GRY and handled the upgrade without a hitch.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:11 PM

I am in the process of trying something. I've created (well, found a program to create) a bootable portable Windows 10 on a usb drive. There is a program I want to run on my wife's laptop, and this seems to be the only way to do it. Or so that's been my experience.

Here's what I'm using: AOMEI Creates the portable drive

It needs the W10 ISO File and I used this program to download the correct version. https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool

The program I'm wanting to use is Tweaking.com and has been mentioned in a number of places I'vve been using to eresearch this problem. No one has mentioned anything about it being dangerous.

EDIT: It looks like the prog won't work on Windows unless it's running in that version because of registry tests. Still looking for that solution...

Besides I think it's a good idea to have Windows on a Stick.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 12-13-2016 at 03:32 PM..

Old 12-13-2016, 05:02 PM

You know, I've been away from this as a career for so long that I've forgotten some pretty basic stuff. Sometimes retirement isn't the best. I forgot that you can't do crap to a Windows install from a portable version.

As Bill the Cat would say, "Ack!"

Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Fingers crossed

I'm watching a blue bar slowly creep across the screen.

Took me a while, but I dug far enough into the WHS system (Why is everything so hard to find, Microsoft?) and got a USB drive created that booted in her laptop and has started a full restore of drive C:. It's an older backup so it should not have the update that killed her computer in it.

Still not there, but if this works I get a break. And some hugs and stuff.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:28 PM

It worked. Her laptop is back to a point from October. Nothing gets added to it since everything is saved on the server so she's home free.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,747,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It worked. Her laptop is back to a point from October. Nothing gets added to it since everything is saved on the server so she's home free.
I'm so glad to hear you solved the problem.

I did another complete system recovery from original partition which, as I understand it, should have wiped the hard drive clean and re-installed Windows 10 as it was loaded on the recovery partition (D). The process completed successfully, according to the screen message, but the computer still will not boot. I can't even imagine what the explanation is for this. That awful update should be completely out of the picture now, and yet it did damage that the computer apparently cannot recover from. It was working fine before last Friday and was brand new in late September.

Without another W10 computer, I have no way to do something like what worked for you. Sometime in the next day or 2, I'm going to have to make a trip to Best Buy in the heat of the Christmas rush and see if they'll do another "upgrade" swap for this now dead machine.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:55 AM

Try a clean install from USB? You can create this on any PC if I understand it correctly, then set your computer to boot from USB and install from it.

Quote:
Microsoft has updated its Media Creation tool to include the update and you can use this to download Windows 10 now and create your own installation media on either a USB flash drive or DVD. This is particularly handy if you want to perform a clean install, or update multiple computers in quick succession.
How to download Windows 10 Anniversary Update and create your own installation USB flash drive or DVD

Old 12-15-2016, 04:46 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,747,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Try a clean install from USB? You can create this on any PC if I understand it correctly, then set your computer to boot from USB and install from it.

How to download Windows 10 Anniversary Update and create your own installation USB flash drive or DVD
Thank you for that - will definitely give it a try if I'm unable to swap for a new non-Lenovo machine.

This morning I made another boot attempt after disabling fast boot in the bios. I got a screen saying "Preparing automatic repair" and then, a few minutes later, a blue error message screen that gave more info than I had thus far seen. Then, before I had a chance to write anything down or google it, it disappeared and the computer shut down. Par for the course I'm stuck on.

It said something like "unable to make repair", "required device missing or inaccessible" and gave an error code. Then it shut down before I could google it.

It is as though this update from hell not only destroyed my OS software, but did hardware damage as well making this machine unrecoverable. I never experienced anything like this in all the years I worked on my custom-built machines. Then again, none of those custom builds were subjected to Windows 10.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 PM

Something to try:

When the screen gets to the Whirling Circle From Hell hold the power button until it shuts off.

Do that three times.

You should get a screen that allows you to access more tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers