Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:10 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,040,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
Sometimes the external hard drive lags some videos, the videos lag on the same parts like 70% of the time, other times they work fine, Seagate told me if I check for errors that it might delete files if errors are found on them, then they told me to do defragmentation on the disk, is there any chance by doing this that it will delete pictures or videos or change anything on them or change their location? What will be changed on folders and files? And does it sound like it could fix the problem? He told me to update drivers and I did and to change option of better performance on the disk and it's still the same problem and I don't want to delete anything on the external hard drive or end up having a video that no longer works.
All defragging does is organize. It doesn't delete.

Every drive should be defragged on a routine basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
In today's world.. I really don't see defragging being of much noticeable use. Drives are so fast as it is.. In theory, it puts less wear on the drive as the heads won't have to seek all over to read a file, but obviously SSD eliminates that as a problem.

Has anyone LEGIT seen defragging provide noticeable results in the past.. 5 years or so (On a drive made in the past 5 years) or do you still do it based on "well, it makes me feel good and/or I *THINK* it makes things go faster"?
There's truth to that, but if it makes you feel better, do it. lol

It's much like organizing your sock drawer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Why @ the command line??

I always use windows defrag.....

Why the command line?

The Windows built in GUI for defrag uses the -r switch when running defrag.

-r switch ignore file fragments over 64MB
-w switch tries to defrag all fragments size.

The idea behind the default -r switch is that it wouldn't increase performance for files fragment that are over 64MB. You can buy into that and simply use the default Widows GUI interface or use the command line to control your options for running the defrag utility.

There are a few other switches as well.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
In today's world.. I really don't see defragging being of much noticeable use. Drives are so fast as it is.. In theory, it puts less wear on the drive as the heads won't have to seek all over to read a file, but obviously SSD eliminates that as a problem.

Has anyone LEGIT seen defragging provide noticeable results in the past.. 5 years or so (On a drive made in the past 5 years) or do you still do it based on "well, it makes me feel good and/or I *THINK* it makes things go faster"?

If you want to, you can do some test on a fragmented database file. Do some SQL test database and do some performance tuning.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:55 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Unless you changed the default this is done by Windows in the background.
Defrag only does the local disk automatically, not external drives.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Don't think it was mentioned and it's just an aside, but the more you use a drive (add and delete files) the more (and quicker) fragmented it becomes.

So that drive you have that you only copy files to for backup is likely not needing it as often as your main drive.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,589,435 times
most modern operating systems work on file systems that use algorithms to minimize fragmentation. i would transfer to linux or mac since they are better.

also since harddrives are so big these days (and many are ssd or hybrid so they dont have mechanical parts that take time to spin up) the likelihood of the os needing to search for contiguous blocks is pretty low.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
most modern operating systems work on file systems that use algorithms to minimize fragmentation. i would transfer to linux or mac since they are better.

also since harddrives are so big these days (and many are ssd or hybrid so they dont have mechanical parts that take time to spin up) the likelihood of the os needing to search for contiguous blocks is pretty low.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...wintel-pc.html

Old 12-31-2016, 12:37 AM

186 posts, read 129,107 times
can someone explain what it is and why it's necessary to do it in order for those few videos to stop lagging? And what does this mean

OS/2's HPFS was very resistant to fragmentation; both FAT and NTFS not so much. In no case should a live file be deleted by a defrag program. It's job is not to free up space, but to optimize the layout of existing files on the disk.

it only removes it from the directory so it can be written over. In effect, the markers that define the location of the files are knocked down so they cannot be seen. However, it is possible to stand those markers back up again and retrieve the files

Yes and no. Deleting a file doesnt really delete it. In a nutshell, it hides it from view, and lets the operating system know that if it needs to - it can overwrite the space that the file exists in.

When you defrag, its very likely that you are going to cause data to be written in one form or another to the space the file exists in - but its not a sure thing.

Under the right circumstances, and with the right recovery software, you could still recover the file.

Source(s): I'm a network administrator. I do this for a living.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:42 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,886,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054

The Windows built in GUI for defrag uses the -r switch when running defrag.

-r switch ignore file fragments over 64MB
-w switch tries to defrag all fragments size.

The idea behind the default -r switch is that it wouldn't increase performance for files fragment that are over 64MB. You can buy into that and simply use the default Widows GUI interface or use the command line to control your options for running the defrag utility.
Thank you buddy..... So when I open defrag from MY COMPUTER it uses no switches right?

I would think when defragging you would want EVERY POSSIBLE FRAGMENTED AREA managed...... (For best results)

Old 12-31-2016, 04:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
can someone explain what it is and why it's necessary to do it in order for those few videos to stop lagging? And what does this mean
This is routine maintenance on a drive. This is typically not an issue on a external drive because you don't delete and add files frequently. A hard drive is very much like a record player, it spins and just like a record player it has an arm with heads to read the data.

When you delete a file that space is made available for other files. If a new file doesn't fit into that space fragments can be written into many of these open spaces on the drive. Instead of being able to read the file in one continuous stream of data like you would have when listening to a record the arm has to move around to get the new chunks of data in the different locations. While this will lower performance it's not going to very noticeable accept things like video which need to be real time. If the file is fragmented it *may* cause a lag at the same part of the timeline in a video.

When you defragment all those pieces are moved so they con be read in one continuous stream.

That said unless this video has a very high datarate I'd be a little skeptical about that being the cause. Check the CPU usage as I suggested earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers