Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 12:10 AM

50,928 posts, read 24,432,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Completely missing the point.
No. I understand the point.
And I understand wanting a perfect platform.
But I also see Americans constantly b****ing about any company that's one of the big boys.

I've had a couple of issues with Windows 10 myself.
One of the issues I figured out myself.
When I had a bad download of an update, within 24 hours Windows figured out that it hadn't gone right and fixed itself.

I doubt very much that with all the complexity of the operating system, and all the programs it has to be able to run, that there could possibly be a perfect platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 04:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times
Perhaps a beta test or two before releasing it to the wild.

Did a lot of programming in my day and a buggy release was not allowed, and never happened.

You have to give a damn about your clients. 'Cause if you don't they will complain.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:12 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Perhaps a beta test or two before releasing it to the wild.

Did a lot of programming in my day and a buggy release was not allowed, and never happened.

You have to give a damn about your clients. 'Cause if you don't they will complain.
What, specifically, is so buggy about Windows 10? It's quite clearly the best version of Windows ever released.

I mean actual bugs, not "I want the button to say X instead of Y" or "I really hate where Option Z is located" complaints.

I can't believe you would even make that second statement. There are always bugs. Unless you're coding something utterly trivial, it's pretty much impossible to make something completely bug free.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,970,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What, specifically, is so buggy about Windows 10? It's quite clearly the best version of Windows ever released.

I mean actual bugs, not "I want the button to say X instead of Y" or "I really hate where Option Z is located" complaints.

I can't believe you would even make that second statement. There are always bugs. Unless you're coding something utterly trivial, it's pretty much impossible to make something completely bug free.
There's only two bugs that I have noticed with Win10. First is with it's update scheduling, where it will say "Hey, I am going to restart at this time, and update since you aren't using your computer normally at this time," and when that time finally comes... it just doesn't. Though you can be darn sure if it sees an important update, or after it fails a few attempts to nicely shut down your computer during times that you aren't using it, it'll stop whatever you're doing to restart, no matter what time of day it is.

Second bug I've personally seen is when the anniversary update borked my network drivers and gave me a memory leak. This one annoyed me to no end because I couldn't figure it out for a couple days, just knew my computer wasn't acting right, and having to restart it to clear the memory twice a day was getting old. Fortunately by the time I did figure it out, my network adapter manufacturer had released a patch for it to fix the memory leak.

All in all, I will say Win10 is designed fairly solidly, though the forced updates need to stop, especially the ones that Win10 takes over control of my machine and goes, "Hey, I see your trying to X, let me (not) help you with that by shutting down your computer and booting you from whatever it is that you're doing," like a possessed Clippy.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 PM

50,928 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Am I ever unhappy with Windows (whatever version)? Yes.

But then I stop and think about all the different hardware it has to work with. All the different software. All the different internet sites. I think it's pretty amazing.

And, although I'm no nerd, I've been into computers since the days of Commodore 64 (1982). And back in college I worked in COBOL, PL1, RPG, and Fortran4 on the old IBM 360s. Going on up through today, I've yet to see ANY computer program that didn't have a few bugs.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
I don't care what color the xSOD is, just put plain English information about what went wrong.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 380,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't care what color the xSOD is, just put plain English information about what went wrong.
This. Pretty much no one at my job has configured their machine to analyze minidump results and I'm always the guy who has to do it. Also I'm glad Dave shares his thoughts and information with us. Windows has been very good to me and many other people, but that's not as true now as it was in the past. Microsoft shouldn't be getting a pass on bad behavior now, because it's practices before were good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKJMsJ-6XU

It's getting to the point where it shouldn't even be called a PC anymore, because it's getting less and less to be a personal computer with everything being on the cloud, subscription based software, and commercials fitted into the OS you bought and supposed to own.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:21 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,259,566 times
Without Microsoft Windows, PC users would be using Linux. There would be so many Linux users, it would be easy to find answers to problems on forums etc. More people would be working on improvements to Linux. All the efforts that have been spent on developing software and improvements for Windows would have been spent developing software and improvements for Linux instead. People would never have any hassles with product keys for Linux like they do for Windows. Linux is a lot more secure than Windows, and the whole underground industry of making malware would probably have remained very small and unimportant.

Therefore, Windows could be construed to be like cancer. It prevented Linux from becoming as good as it could have become. The end result might be that we have mediocre Linux and mediocre Windows, instead of a much better Linux.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,302,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Without Microsoft Windows, PC users would be using Linux. There would be so many Linux users, it would be easy to find answers to problems on forums etc. More people would be working on improvements to Linux. All the efforts that have been spent on developing software and improvements for Windows would have been spent developing software and improvements for Linux instead. People would never have any hassles with product keys for Linux like they do for Windows. Linux is a lot more secure than Windows, and the whole underground industry of making malware would probably have remained very small and unimportant.

Therefore, Windows could be construed to be like cancer. It prevented Linux from becoming as good as it could have become. The end result might be that we have mediocre Linux and mediocre Windows, instead of a much better Linux.
I have stubbornly held on to Windows 7. Since I don't know how much longer that will last, I am checking out Mint OS.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:38 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,022,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I have stubbornly held on to Windows 7. Since I don't know how much longer that will last, I am checking out Mint OS.
Not difficult to determine. It is under extended support until January 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers