Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Which windows version do you have, home or professional?
If this is addressed to me, Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Yeah, and thanks! I haven't found how to disable updates on my Win10 Home other than the throttling method. I'll Google some more and see if I can find a setting to disable updates. Please continue telling us on how your turning off updates works.

My damned micro-PCs are both hockey pucks unless I can find out how to kill updates. It's like an alligator trying to swallow a cow. It keeps trying to download some damned media package I neither need or want, but MSFT is forcing it down my throat and the PCs are useless. I wish I'd known at the time that a $99 Roku is better than a $150 Kodlix hockey puck (SSD 32GB C: drive, no room for updates even with no applications installed).

ETA:

The cow is the Creators update. It's some damned feature package, needs 10GB to install, and Win10 Home takes 20-25GB. The alligator keeps choking to death. MSFT featured my mini-PC into oblivion.

Last edited by Lovehound; 10-09-2018 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yeah, and thanks! I haven't found how to disable updates on my Win10 Home other than the throttling method. I'll Google some more and see if I can find a setting to disable updates. Please continue telling us on how your turning off updates works.

My damned micro-PCs are both hockey pucks unless I can find out how to kill updates. It's like an alligator trying to swallow a cow. It keeps trying to download some damned media package I neither need or want, but MSFT is forcing it down my throat and the PCs are useless. I wish I'd known at the time that a $99 Roku is better than a $150 Kodlix hockey puck (SSD 32GB C: drive, no room for updates even with no applications installed).
Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Services. Scan down the list to Windows Update, right click and choose properties. Change startup type to disabled. I've also read that it helps to also disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service - higher up on the services list - same way.

As I said, though, you can't count on it to stay that way. Microsoft changed my setting at their whim and that's how I got 1803 a while back. At this point I have no idea what their schedule or trigger is for their meddling. So I'm keeping a daily watch. You won't get any updates as long as the setting remains disabled.

Thanks for the rep. I used to have a '95 Crown Vic and, of course, that's where the handle came from. It was not a police version, but a near-mint civilian car that I bought from the original elderly owner. Drove it for 11 years, but it developed too many annoying problems to be worth putting money into. So it was 2 cars ago for me.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 10-09-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the advice CrownVic95! I'll print that and give it a shot next time I get in a nerdy mood. I'm wondering if the setting is stored in the registry... If so maybe I can figure out a way to run what is called in Linux a 'cron' job, to execute a RegEdit at regular intervals. I could run a 'cron' job on my Linux server every minute if I wanted to. It would be extremely helpful if anybody knows if the setting is stored in the registry. You could put the patch in your startup folder, and add a desktop shortcut too. That would also help prevent the update referenced in the OP.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 AM

Just checked both my settings after startup this morning and they both were changed (from disabled). I disabled them both again immediately.

In doing so, looks like I stopped KB4100347 in process. That update (I guess an earlier version of it) was the one that broke many systems upon installing the 1803 update. That being the case, it's hard to know whether stopping this new version is a plus or a minus.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...3-522694.shtml

My trust in Microsoft has deteriorated to a level where it seems to me that stopping everything is the prudent choice until/unless we have good reason for restoration of that trust. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:15 PM

TYVM for the report.

If you caught it in the downloading phase then you appear to be good to go.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:00 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Just checked both my settings after startup this morning and they both were changed (from disabled). I disabled them both again immediately.

In doing so, looks like I stopped KB4100347 in process. That update (I guess an earlier version of it) was the one that broke many systems upon installing the 1803 update. That being the case, it's hard to know whether stopping this new version is a plus or a minus.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...3-522694.shtml

My trust in Microsoft has deteriorated to a level where it seems to me that stopping everything is the prudent choice until/unless we have good reason for restoration of that trust. I'm not holding my breath.
This update (KB4100347) ran for me today. It broke my bluetooth. Got a message something like "There is no bluetooth installed on this device." None of the microsoft sanctioned solutions worked at all, of course.

Reinstalling the bluetooth driver from my laptop's manufacturer's website did work, however. I should have just done that first instead of wasting a bunch of time reading the Microsoft help pages.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
This update (KB4100347) ran for me today. It broke my bluetooth. Got a message something like "There is no bluetooth installed on this device." None of the microsoft sanctioned solutions worked at all, of course.

Reinstalling the bluetooth driver from my laptop's manufacturer's website did work, however. I should have just done that first instead of wasting a bunch of time reading the Microsoft help pages.
I had forgotten all about that one....just checked after reading your post and I still don't have it. That despite the fact that I've gotten laxed since then and lately haven't been checking Windows Update status. Just did and, of course, it was back on and has been for some time. I have several new updates, but not that one.

I refreshed my memory as to the havoc wreaked on some systems by that update.......

https://www.minitool.com/news/kb4100...nbootable.html

So I once again disabled Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service, for all the good it will do. Still feels good to shut them out, even if it's only for a day.

Glad you got it fixed....and it doesn't surprise me at all that you're smarter than Microsoft. They're resting on laurels built 20+ years ago and the one thing they do well today is cash in on them using their same-aged virtual monopoly.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
I love threads like this. They remind me how fortunate I am to be lane-splitting on a snappy, responsive bike running Debian down an highway full of huge, inefficient, slow Window$ trucks.

Ah, it's good to be good.

Last edited by Ttark; 01-04-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Services. Scan down the list to Windows Update, right click and choose properties. Change startup type to disabled. I've also read that it helps to also disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service - higher up on the services list - same way.
I'm running Windows 10 Pro, build 1803 and 1809 on 3 of my computers, and I noticed that Microsoft took the ability turn off (Disable) the Windows Update service some time in the last few months, thanks to their intrusive policies, they now force their updates whether you want to install them or not. You'll now have to disable the update services right after system start-up.

I still have Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate on two of my computers, and 8.1 on another and thankfully, they haven't taken away the ability to turn off WU service on them.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 01-09-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers