Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLiberty View Post
Of course you can load a full ream.

You may not know many modern businesses. High volume printers use inkjet because of how fast they are. In fact, the technology in modern HP printers comes from industrial printing presses that print large jobs.
I'd like to see one. Show me an example please. It has to be practical as well. If cost was no object, I'm sure there is some great equipment out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 09:46 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'd like to see one. Show me an example please. It has to be practical as well. If cost was no object, I'm sure there is some great equipment out there.
The HP Pagewide 452 Inkjet Printer can hold a ream of 500 pages and has a monthly duty cycle of 50,000 pages. At $399, it's well within the budget for a small business with a high print volume.... or heck, even home office use.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Old 06-03-2020, 10:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
The HP Pagewide 452 Inkjet Printer can hold a ream of 500 pages and has a monthly duty cycle of 50,000 pages. At $399, it's well within the budget for a small business with a high print volume.... or heck, even home office use.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview
As I thought, it would not hold up in our environment. We have printers that go over 1 million pages. The HP LJ 4250 to be exact. It's an older model but it's a hell of a workhorse. It's 45 PPM, not quite the 55 PPM of that printer but it would be zero PPM if it's constantly breaking down and jamming.

And based on reviews, it seems to be a dud.
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pa...-452dw-printer
https://www.amazon.com/HP-PageWide-B.../dp/B01AV4J4F6

It may be rated at 50k, doesn't mean it would print that without problems.

As a comparison on B&W printing and generic ink, for $37 I can get toner that yields 20k pages, For that printer it's $33 for 3500 pages. So you can get an idea.

Reliability and overall cost of ink/toner makes the difference.

Granted, for a lower volume environement, it may work well enough and it prints in color which is nice.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:03 PM

325 posts, read 163,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My trusty old HP photo smart just died. So now I have to go out and pick out a new printer. Reading reviews on Amazon is an exercise in futility, since so many of them are fake anyway, and Amazons star system is based on some strange logic I can’t possibly comprehend. I haven’t found a single printer with what I would call good reviews on Amazon. I went into Best Buy and look at what they had in stock, and they all feel like they’re made of about $.25 worth of cheap flimsy parts.

I want a decent paper tray, the ability to print in black and white if my color cartridges are empty (that eliminates Epson completely), WiFi/usb connectivity, ink that doesn’t cost an arm and leg to replace, and a size that is something reasonable for the hone. Scanning and copying of course, so an “ all in one”. I’d gladly pay $200 for such a printer. But I don’t think anyone makes such an animal.

Why does no one make a decent printer for the home anymore?
EPSON makes monochrome ECOTANK printers but there more than your willing to pay. i have an ECOTANK 3760 and i love it i can print in color or B&W that one was 399 with 2 years of ink in the box

Old 06-03-2020, 03:08 PM

325 posts, read 163,527 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LFfEgac-0M

Old 06-03-2020, 04:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My trusty old HP photo smart just died. So now I have to go out and pick out a new printer. Reading reviews on Amazon is an exercise in futility, since so many of them are fake anyway, and Amazons star system is based on some strange logic I can’t possibly comprehend. I haven’t found a single printer with what I would call good reviews on Amazon. I went into Best Buy and look at what they had in stock, and they all feel like they’re made of about $.25 worth of cheap flimsy parts.

I want a decent paper tray, the ability to print in black and white if my color cartridges are empty (that eliminates Epson completely), WiFi/usb connectivity, ink that doesn’t cost an arm and leg to replace, and a size that is something reasonable for the hone. Scanning and copying of course, so an “ all in one”. I’d gladly pay $200 for such a printer. But I don’t think anyone makes such an animal.

Why does no one make a decent printer for the home anymore?
I would never buy an all in one. You are better off buying a scanner, copier and printer. How do you think they make these things for $150- $300? By using all crappy components. I never one one and never would. And you need to buy laser and never inkjet. I have owned Brother and HP Color laser pruners and they worked great. No complaints.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I would never buy an all in one. You are better off buying a scanner, copier and printer. How do you think they make these things for $150- $300? By using all crappy components. I never one one and never would. And you need to buy laser and never inkjet. I have owned Brother and HP Color laser pruners and they worked great. No complaints.
There are numerous "do all" laser printers for home and office that are quite good. Several color laser printers are in the range of $400.00-$600.00. I have been using HP laser printer for several years at my place of work.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:49 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
I never one one and never would.
Well then you aren't really qualified to give out advice on them, now are you?

While I generally agree with your sentiment, something that does many things will never be as good as one thing that does just one thing, there are plenty of device out there more then good enough for what the average user needs. I make 40 copies a year, at best. I might scan another 50 a year at best. I do not need a dedicated machine for that. My all in one is slow but it was $220 and it does the job and has for over 3 years now.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,263 times
Quote:
They can sell them cheap because they'll likely make the loss back up in ink and toner. This has always been the case.

I have two printers, both AIO. An HP color laser for everyday printing, copies, etc. My wife is a teacher and you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff she prints at home. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to print all that on a good laser than my inkjet, which is used only for photos. I chose a Canon for that - I can replace each color individually, it prints excellent photos and ink doesn't break the bank. It scans photos better than the HP too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers