Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 07:49 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times

Advertisements

Trying to help a friend out. Dell computer using a Vizio monitor(TV).

The right 1/4 of the screen is a mirror of the left 3/4 of the screen. No event preceded this happening.

I have tried every setting I can find. Drivers all up to date. Rebooted. The Dell startup logo is centered but when Windows starts the boot up screen writing is shifted to the left and as soon as the wallpaper screen appears it is mirrored. You can’t move the mouse to the right side. It stops at a “wall” where the mirroring starts.

The other functions of the monitor work fine in TV mode which makes me think it is in Windows somewhere. New HDMI cable.

See pic.
Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with this “mirror” screen anomaly-img_3726-3.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 06:11 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Somewhere in the setting it is set to tilled. I have been using a Mac for a while, so i forget where the setting is right now. I’ll come back if i find it.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:02 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
"Tile" is a setting in the wallpaper, that is not what's going on here.

Does it still do it after you login?

Old 04-26-2021, 07:05 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Does it still do it after you login?
Yes. It never goes away.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:06 AM

5,224 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Do you have another monitor that you could try? It could possible be something with the monitor.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:45 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Looks similar to a problem I had many years ago on a Sun Workstation. In my case it appeared that the left and right half of the display had been switched. If you looked very close you noticed that one side was one pixel higher than the other. In our case it was a bad cable between the workstation and the display but it could have been the display or the graphics card also. The timing was being screwed up and refreshing out of sync between the signal being produced and the signal being displayed with the scan beginning in the middle of the screen. It has been almost 25 years since I saw the problem and got it resolved so the details are getting a bit fuzzy.

What is different about this one is that it appears to be repeating part of the screen. I wonder if the system thinks the screen is a different horizontal dimension than what it actually is (aspect ratio?) and so it begin to repeat the image? I would make sure that the display settings match throughout the setup first. I might also try a different wallpaper image to see if the problem is consistent no matter what the image. If neither of those make a difference I would start swapping out display, cable then computer or graphics card.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:06 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Like i said, I am a little rusty with Windows issues. That’s what it looks like to me, but I accept that i could be wrong. I just built a Windows desktop so I will clean out the rust.

The other posts are good suggestions, so i will let them help here until i feel i can help.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:11 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Like i said, I am a little rusty with Windows issues. That’s what it looks like to me, but I accept that i could be wrong.

Using TILE or FIT or FILL only affects the Windows wallpaper and not that screen. Not to mention that's not even a proper tile. If tiled it would be on there several times, not just 1 part of the side of the screen.

Once you login to Windows OP can you change resolution on the display? Does that have any effect?

Old 05-01-2021, 01:37 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
What image are you using for the wallpaper?
I don't really use any images just plain background color so not sure if that is a standard Windows image or not. If it is not, does the original image look OK when you open it?
If it does, select another image to see if the issue remained or not.

I try simple, silly stuff like selecting another image and it it looked OK, then re-select the original image to see what happened. OR, select nothing, plain background color, reboot computer, then select that image again to see.

What version of Windows are you running?
Ideally, you want an image that is the same resolution as your (monitor) screen resolution or at least something close to it so Windows does a good job of scaling. Windows XP did a surprisingly decent job of scaling, even better than Windows 7 but Windows 10 does a really good job.

From what I have seen, I agree with those who mentioned background image setting under "Choose a fit" (Windows 10) when set to "Tile", it does create a result like the screenshot you shared.
It happened to me too but mine was in a horizontal manner.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with this “mirror” screen anomaly-wallpaper-tile.png  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 05-01-2021 at 01:46 AM..

Old 05-04-2021, 09:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
More than likely it's the monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers