Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerkd1 View Post
I know you said you want to avoid costly monthly fees, (I personally abhor them and dislike Microsoft for the most part too), but even I finally had to admit that it really isn't a bad deal.
I'll simply never understand how AMERICANS hate an AMERICAN company that is a worldwide leader in something, employs 1,000s of AMERICANS with good paying jobs (and indirectly supports millions of jobs in every country around the world), and donates MILLIONS to charities?!?

Same with Apple, too. I mean, I don't like iPhones but I don't HATE Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'll simply never understand how AMERICANS hate an AMERICAN company that is a worldwide leader in something, employs 1,000s of AMERICANS with good paying jobs (and indirectly supports millions of jobs in every country around the world), and donates MILLIONS to charities?!?

Same with Apple, too. I mean, I don't like iPhones but I don't HATE Apple.
I'm the exact opposite. I think iPhones work just fine, I wouldn't own one but they work and work well it seems. I ABSOLUTELY hate Apple with a passion. They are only interested in their bottom line. Customers be damned. I also don't usually speak ill of the dead but I couldn't stand Steve Jobs either. The company's policies started with him obviously.

As for AMERICANS hating AMERICAN companies, the country has nothing to do with it. That is obviously a monopoly. There are major antitrust issues with Microsoft. What else are we going to use for business? Linux? Mac from Apple? No... We are stuck.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:10 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm the exact opposite. I think iPhones work just fine, I wouldn't own one but they work and work well it seems. I ABSOLUTELY hate Apple with a passion. They are only interested in their bottom line. Customers be damned. I also don't usually speak ill of the dead but I couldn't stand Steve Jobs either. The company's policies started with him obviously.

As for AMERICANS hating AMERICAN companies, the country has nothing to do with it. That is obviously a monopoly. There are major antitrust issues with Microsoft. What else are we going to use for business? Linux? Mac from Apple? No... We are stuck.
I dunno. Let's be honest - if Apple wasn't doing *something* right, no one would buy their products. And yet, they essentially print their own money. It's a cult, to be sure - I like my iPhone and my iPad, but I'd never buy a computer from them. Been there, done that. I switched from Android to iPhone with the 11 Pro and I haven't felt the need to go back to Android, nor do I really miss anything.

The company has it's issues, but they wouldn't still be here if they sucked that bad. The value of Apple lies in their ecosystem - it just works. And if something breaks, you can walk into an Apple store to get it fixed, or send it in. You can go to an authorized repair center too. Most other major brands simply don't have that - you can't walk into a Dell store and presto, you're walking out with a fixed machine. I can walk into an Apple store with a cracked screen or a bad battery and half an hour later I have a new device. I love my Alienware, but Dells support is trash unless you pay for premium support.

As far as Microsoft being a monopoly, they've already fought that and lost. And yet, they're still here. There are, admittedly, plenty of alternative options. But none of them are quite as good, or quite as easy to use. People don't want to play around with Linux, customize it, what have you. They don't want to dig for software that will work. They want to grab a box from the shelf and go, or download something from the store. Linux is stable and fast, but in my case, Steam doesn't work natively on it. That's an instant show stopper. Amongst other things.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:36 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I dunno. Let's be honest - if Apple wasn't doing *something* right, no one would buy their products. And yet, they essentially print their own money. It's a cult, to be sure - I like my iPhone and my iPad, but I'd never buy a computer from them. Been there, done that. I switched from Android to iPhone with the 11 Pro and I haven't felt the need to go back to Android, nor do I really miss anything.

The company has it's issues, but they wouldn't still be here if they sucked that bad. The value of Apple lies in their ecosystem - it just works. And if something breaks, you can walk into an Apple store to get it fixed, or send it in. You can go to an authorized repair center too. Most other major brands simply don't have that - you can't walk into a Dell store and presto, you're walking out with a fixed machine. I can walk into an Apple store with a cracked screen or a bad battery and half an hour later I have a new device. I love my Alienware, but Dells support is trash unless you pay for premium support.

As far as Microsoft being a monopoly, they've already fought that and lost. And yet, they're still here. There are, admittedly, plenty of alternative options. But none of them are quite as good, or quite as easy to use. People don't want to play around with Linux, customize it, what have you. They don't want to dig for software that will work. They want to grab a box from the shelf and go, or download something from the store. Linux is stable and fast, but in my case, Steam doesn't work natively on it. That's an instant show stopper. Amongst other things.
Yeah, they have done something right. Make themselves one of the wealthiest tech companies around. Anything else is debatable.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
No... We are stuck.
Stuck with an AMERICAN company paying AMERICAN workers and AMERICAN taxes. Oh, how horrible. You blame them? Maybe someone should step up. Yo, Linux, where you at? Can you imagine if our only choice was China Windows?
And I didn't like Steve Jobs at all, either. Hated that people called him a genius and were so upset when he died. Because he came up with the IDEA of the iPOD?!? Not like he actually hand built the damn thing.
Bill Gates is twice the man he ever was.
But I don't understand HATING a company like that. You have choices. And the market spoke! Microsoft tried to be the 3rd phone company... and they blew it...

Old 08-03-2021, 10:56 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Stuck with an AMERICAN company paying AMERICAN workers and AMERICAN taxes. Oh, how horrible. You blame them? Maybe someone should step up. Yo, Linux, where you at? Can you imagine if our only choice was China Windows?
And I didn't like Steve Jobs at all, either. Hated that people called him a genius and were so upset when he died. Because he came up with the IDEA of the iPOD?!? Not like he actually hand built the damn thing.
Bill Gates is twice the man he ever was.
But I don't understand HATING a company like that. You have choices. And the market spoke! Microsoft tried to be the 3rd phone company... and they blew it...
Or not.

Hardware is made in China, so no American workers or taxes there.
Subscriptions are all run through Ireland to avoid paying US taxes.
At least locally things must be better... well sort of. California refunds 35% of local sales tax revenue back to Apple, down from 50%. Apple claims it's new spaceship HQ is worth $200 for tax purposes, just one of the hundreds up on hundreds of property taxes Apple disputes that they owe.

Now, to be fair they pay a lot of people a lot of money who those employees, unlike Apple, do pay their taxes. Apple, however, does not.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:26 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post

I am getting notices that my Dell Premium Support Plus is expiring soon. I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 that I purchased from Dell in 2017. I put extra memory, etc. on it and paid about $1600 for the laptop. Do I need to continue this support? I don't believe I've ever used it, but that's true for most insurances, you pay just in case something happens...

Does anyone know what this will cost?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2021, 02:50 PM

If you haven't used it yet, in 4 years now, I would not renew.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:06 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
For myself, I generally don't buy warranties/insurances/support plans as an extra, although a certain number of years come with the machine. My previous Dell lasted 11 years without a hiccup, and I never used any "support" beyond researching a few things on their website. If something would go wrong with my PC, I would try to fix it myself, pay Dell to fix it on an as-needed basis, or end up taking it to a local shop.

You may feel differently. Only you can tell if you feel you would want or need the support.

As for cost, perhaps the price is listed on the Dell website. If not, a call to their toll-free number will yield it.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:53 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Speaking of Dell, I've always used them, and think it's about time for a new one. I don't want to pay more than a few hundred since I don't do that much on my laptop, but want to find a good dependable one. Right now I've got the Inspiron 15 with Intel Pentium - it's more than 5 years old and seems to be getting a bit glitchy.

What would you guys replace it with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers