Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 11:47 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,078,003 times

Advertisements

I have an Epson Workforce 435 printer. For some reason it has stopped printing. When I select to print a document the pop up window shows it is trying to print as usual but I noticed that the ink cartridges all show looking gray as though there isn't any ink. Another window came up in the upper corner though that said all cartridges are full (which is correct) but there is a printing error. If I check under maintenance on the printer itself that also shows they have ink.

I have tried:
turning the printer off and on
checked the wifi light which is on
checked the cable is secure
removed cartridges and make sure to put back correctly
checked that printer is the default one and it is
tried printing a nozzles check - didn't print
went to product support and couldn't find any info for this problem

Any ideas what is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 12:05 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
You don't need a cable if you are on Wifi. It will only use either one or the other. If it trying to print via Wifi there may be connectivity problems.

Does windows show it as online?

That would be under settings, devices, printers.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:41 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
When you did the Nozzle Check, did a sheet of paper come thru, but with no printing ?
If not, then did you check for a paper jam inside the printer ?
If yes, then you have a problem internal to the printer, and should contact Epson for help.

You need to get the Nozzle Check (and/or Clean Heads test) to work before worrying about any other issues.

Old 09-30-2021, 03:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Uninstall all the software. Re-install software and connect to a computer using a USB cable. If it's fully functional, then it's not a problem at the wired level. Uninstall all the software again and then setup for wifi and see what happens. Here is a link to help you along.

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/A...B45201#manuals

Old 09-30-2021, 05:35 PM

Appreciate the replies.

I should not have said "cable". I meant the power cord was plugged in which was obvious anyway since the lights were on. If I go to devices and printer it will show if anything is printing and there is the word offline showing.

I am able to do a nozzle check if I do it through the printer directly.

The printer by itself seems to be working fine. The problem is trying to do anything through the computer. I was able to run an Epson Status Sheet. Of the many things listed, I see the wireless mode is listed as "on" link status is "connected" and signal strength is "excellent". To me, that would mean the wireless connection should be working.

I have been playing around with this most of the afternoon and I am done. Perhaps tomorrow I will work on the suggestion of reinstalling software.

Obviously, I am not computer literate and it is very frustrating. Thanks again for trying to help.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:01 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post

Obviously, I am not computer literate and it is very frustrating. Thanks again for trying to help.
I am very compute literate and printers are the bane of my, and most IT Peoples, existence.
Seriously. We hate them.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:02 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Another, less obvious diagnostic tip:
If the printer works (on-board self-test prints are OK), and you want to isolate if the WiFi is OK, or the problem is your PCs WiFi or software, install a smartphone direct-print-via-WiF app and try doing a test page from that.

Old 10-01-2021, 12:07 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
As Peregrine mentioned, printers are evil, especially wireless , but since I have a workforce 545 I'm pretty sure I can get yours going.

Assuming settings are similar, on the printer, click setup button and go to Network settings > Check Network Connection.

Does it respond connection OK? If so go to "Confirm network settings". Note the IP address and then open a command prompt from your computer and ping that address. Does it reply?

Please tell us the IP address of the printer.

While in cmd prompt, please also type ipconfig and hit enter. What is the IPv4 address of your computer? Don't worry, these addresses are internal so they have no bearing on security/privacy or your actual external address. It will likely be a 192.168.1.? address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cToDzc66DQo

Depending on results, we'll take it further...

Last edited by flamadiddle; 10-01-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am very compute literate and printers are the bane of my, and most IT Peoples, existence.
Seriously. We hate them.
That is interesting to know and makes me feel a lot better.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
As Peregrine mentioned, printers are evil, especially wireless , but since I have a workforce 545 I'm pretty sure I can get yours going.

Assuming settings are similar, on the printer, click setup button and go to Network settings > Check Network Connection.

Does it respond connection OK? If so go to "Confirm network settings". Note the IP address and then open a command prompt from your computer and ping that address. Does it reply?

Please tell us the IP address of the printer.

While in cmd prompt, please also type ipconfig and hit enter. What is the IPv4 address of your computer? Don't worry, these addresses are internal so they have no bearing on security/privacy or your actual external address. It will likely be a 192.168.1.? address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cToDzc66DQo

Depending on results, we'll take it further...
I do not see a set up button. When I try to do a WiFi connection putting in my SSID and password it accepts that but eventually says it cannot connect. It gives me the option of running a report. This says the network connection is unknown. Other things listed are OK except for Detailed IP Setup Check says unknown.

I still have the original network connection report from when I initially set up the printer for wireless. The differences between then and now are:

Original IP address 10.0.0.122
Current IP address 169.254.143.135
I did a cmd prompt and the IPv4 was listed as 10.0.0.40

Under the category Default Gateway the original report says 10.0.0.1 On the current one it is left blank.

I don't know if this additional information is any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers