Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 06:23 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a Windows Security - Action needed alert saying "Memory integrity can't be turned on. Try resolving any incompatibilities with your drivers." When I go to the setting and click on 'Review incompatible drivers', nothing comes up on the list. Google is not helpful.

Any ideas how to find out what the problem driver(s) is/are? Maybe more importantly, what the heck is memory integrity and how big a deal is it if I can't enable it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 12:09 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Check out this page, it gives you all the relevant info and how to go about troubleshooting it.

Report back if you need further guidance based on anything more specific you could find out.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:23 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I've long given up on this. I have the same issue "incompatible drivers".... Well I don't write the driver files so, not much I can do. Looked over Turco's link..."If you get this, check for new driver updates..."
Wow, why didn't I think of that? And W11 keeps drivers up to date so literally nothing else to do.

It is safe to ignore. Just use common sense out there. That's always been the best prevention.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:56 AM

The fact that both Windows 10 and 11 has this feature but only 11 has this enabled by default leads me to believe it might be related to TPM requirement Windows 11 has. TPM (Security Device) is also driver driven.

If that is indeed the case, yes, not a core requirement or something to worry about especially if everything is running well, I, too, would ignore it.
Much like corrupt Wireless drivers, if TPM drivers were corrupt, they could be uninstalled from Device Manager.
So, after the machine is rebooted it gets reinstalled automatically and in the process resolving the issue.

The error, per that page, also points to virtual memory, so I also wonder if the pagefile corruption is causing this and the fix could be as easy as disabling pagefile, rebooting the computer then re-enabling it.

I was hoping there would be more info about it somewhere in order to pinpoint the exact component/driver.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Check out this page, it gives you all the relevant info and how to go about troubleshooting it.

Report back if you need further guidance based on anything more specific you could find out.
Thanks for that link. At least I know more about it now. I followed all the steps but it didn't fix the problem. There's still a report of incompatible drivers, but nothing shows up on the list identifying which drivers are at fault.

I guess I'll just ignore it for now. I just don't like having unresolved security issues.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Thanks for that link. At least I know more about it now. I followed all the steps but it didn't fix the problem. There's still a report of incompatible drivers, but nothing shows up on the list identifying which drivers are at fault.

I guess I'll just ignore it for now. I just don't like having unresolved security issues.
Take a look at Event Viewer (Start > Run > eventvwr > OK to see if anything is listed.
Use "Filter Current Log" option to focus only on Error, Critical and Warning for System and Security logs.
Additionally, you can search for "View Reliability History" (it is located under "Security and Maintenance" on the classic control panel: START > RUN > CONTROL > OK) and focus on warnings and errors.
Lastly, take a look at Device Manager to see if any device reported any issues: START > RUN > DEVMGMT.MSC > OK
Attached Thumbnails
Win11 Memory Integrity security setting-view-reliability-history.jpg  

Old 05-12-2023, 07:31 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
I was hoping there would be more info about it somewhere in order to pinpoint the exact component/driver.
The most annoying part. Like if you TOLD me specifically which driver that would be REALLY helpful. I could go find a better one or maybe even remove that driver.
Not a pagefile issue either, I can promise. I got this issue right away on my brand new build.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Take a look at Event Viewer (Start > Run > eventvwr > OK to see if anything is listed.
Use "Filter Current Log" option to focus only on Error, Critical and Warning for System and Security logs.
Additionally, you can search for "View Reliability History" (it is located under "Security and Maintenance" on the classic control panel: START > RUN > CONTROL > OK) and focus on warnings and errors.
Lastly, take a look at Device Manager to see if any device reported any issues: START > RUN > DEVMGMT.MSC > OK
Thanks for helping me work out this problem. We're going down a rabbit hole, but I'd love to get a handle on whatever is going on with my (up until recently) otherwise solid and reliable XPS 15.

I've been monitoring Event Viewer for a while. There seem to be a few recurring errors, mostly involving autopilot.dll. Apparently this has to do with Microsoft Sign-in Assistant. It might correspond to the recent failure of HelloFace that I've been experiencing. All the other sign in options work fine, but face sign in doesn't launch the camera anymore (and the camera works fine otherwise).

The critical errors are primarily Hyper-V problems. It was causing freeze ups and crashes, so I disabled all the Virtualization features which appears to have resolved the problems.

I never knew about the Reliability History monitor. That's an interesting tool! It shows a steady decline over the past few weeks. The Biometric Enrollment error might tie in with my HelloFace problem. The Killer Intelligence Center is a wifi app that I might try uninstalling since I see no benefit to using it.

The one that seems most potentially problematic is the Windows Hardware error. Unfortunately, the details are a bit too cryptic and technical for my old brain. Could this be related to the original Memory Integrity driver problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Win11 Memory Integrity security setting-event-viewer.jpg   Win11 Memory Integrity security setting-events.jpg   Win11 Memory Integrity security setting-reliability.jpg   Win11 Memory Integrity security setting-hardware-error.jpg  

Old 05-12-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The most annoying part. Like if you TOLD me specifically which driver that would be REALLY helpful. I could go find a better one or maybe even remove that driver.
Not a pagefile issue either, I can promise. I got this issue right away on my brand new build.
Waddaya mean if I told you? How is this my fault??!

I know, you didn't really mean me, just messing with you!

I can still mess with you, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Thanks for helping me work out this problem. We're going down a rabbit hole, but I'd love to get a handle on whatever is going on with my (up until recently) otherwise solid and reliable XPS 15.

I've been monitoring Event Viewer for a while. There seem to be a few recurring errors, mostly involving autopilot.dll. Apparently this has to do with Microsoft Sign-in Assistant. It might correspond to the recent failure of HelloFace that I've been experiencing. All the other sign in options work fine, but face sign in doesn't launch the camera anymore (and the camera works fine otherwise).

The critical errors are primarily Hyper-V problems. It was causing freeze ups and crashes, so I disabled all the Virtualization features which appears to have resolved the problems.

I never knew about the Reliability History monitor. That's an interesting tool! It shows a steady decline over the past few weeks. The Biometric Enrollment error might tie in with my HelloFace problem. The Killer Intelligence Center is a wifi app that I might try uninstalling since I see no benefit to using it.

The one that seems most potentially problematic is the Windows Hardware error. Unfortunately, the details are a bit too cryptic and technical for my old brain. Could this be related to the original Memory Integrity driver problem?
Which sections did you select when taking the screenshots of Event Viewer Logs? Typically, all you need is "System" but in this case, I'd check "Security" and even "Applications".

That said, have you checked the Device Manager? Everything looks hunky donkey there?
If so, that is good.

Feel free to get rid of any applications or Windows features you are not using but you could just start with disabling whatever process/app is in the Startup section of the APPS in the SETTINGS panel. See if that helped. Leave only the 3rd party malware scanner and disable everything else for now to see if the error still came up or not.

Lastly, as I mentioned before, simply turn off /disable "Core Isolation" function which is, by default, enabled in Windows 11 but not in Windows 10. See if that helped or not, definitely not a vital security measure as there are other measures, imho, that are way more crucial to system security (see screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Win11 Memory Integrity security setting-windows-security-core-isolation.jpg  

Old 05-12-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Which sections did you select when taking the screenshots of Event Viewer Logs? Typically, all you need is "System" but in this case, I'd check "Security" and even "Applications".

I was looking at the filter for Administrative Events. Attached is a log filtered for System, Security, and Applications showing Critical and Error events for today. I had one freeze up that required a restart (by holding the power button for 10 seconds) and that generated the sole Critical error.
The freeze apparently resulted from the same Windows Hardware problem that I attached to my previous post. Whatever that is, it causes the computer to lock up when it goes to sleep. I think that's the problem I need to resolve at the moment.

That said, have you checked the Device Manager? Everything looks hunky donkey there?
If so, that is good.

Device Manager looks fine, no issues

Feel free to get rid of any applications or Windows features you are not using but you could just start with disabling whatever process/app is in the Startup section of the APPS in the SETTINGS panel. See if that helped. Leave only the 3rd party malware scanner and disable everything else for now to see if the error still came up or not.

Lastly, as I mentioned before, simply turn off /disable "Core Isolation" function which is, by default, enabled in Windows 11 but not in Windows 10. See if that helped or not, definitely not a vital security measure as there are other measures, imho, that are way more crucial to system security (see screenshot).

Core isolation is already Off, due to the mystery driver incompatibility that started this thread.
See embedded comments
Attached Thumbnails
Win11 Memory Integrity security setting-screenshot-2023-05-12-163930.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers