Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 07:47 AM

28,964 posts, read 30,316,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
A few things - from an admittedly non-printer expert.

-I've found that printers connected via hard connection (usb, ethernet, whatever) are much more reliable. I've never had good luck with wifi printing. The only real exception is printing from a phone or ipad.

- Home printing of photos is a waste of toner (and money), IMO. You can have (very) good quality prints done online (or some drug stores still) for pennies.
well, when the cable arrives today, late afternoon, we'll see what happens....

I do like to print from my phone occassionally when I see a recipe I'd like to try....

as far as printing photos, I like the convenience of printing from my chair, instead of running out for a copy, or ordering online,....I know, I know....but, heck, it's so easy that way....

I'm looking at the Brother MFC-J4335DW printer, we'll see what happens today with the USB cord.

But thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 08:03 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
USB will solve you issues, I'm sure. Wireless surely can be buggy. Frequent complaint i hear and have had myself.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
USB will solve you issues, I'm sure. Wireless surely can be buggy. Frequent complaint i hear and have had myself.
well, it just started a few days ago, and get this, right before it disconnected from the Wifi, I got an error message stating the ink cartridges were not compatible, however, they were HP cartridges which are what I always use?

Crazy? I don't think 4 years is a long time for this printer to start with problems like this?

I have an HP Envy x360 laptop which I purchased maybe 5 years ago....and am wondering if there are printers out there that are not compatible to it?

Old 09-06-2023, 08:56 AM

Windows is actually the best it's ever been at working with Printers. Unfortunately wireless is still occasionally buggy. Printers fall asleep and don't wake up prperly when a command is sent seems to be common.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:43 AM

2,455 posts, read 3,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I want something for just a home office printer, with which I can print photos now and then....but basically print up recipes off the net and occassionally for personal information....so? But the 3830 is only 4 years old? doesn't make sense?

So I thought I'd start looking, and ask in here since everyone seems to always be so helpful with advice.

The USB cable is coming today, so we'll see if it works with that, and if not, will have to buy something new right away.
If you only occasionally need to print photos, get them printed somewhere and consider some sort of laser printer, color or B/W, depending on your desires. With inkjet printers, the cartridges tend to dry up and get clogged if you don't use them regularly.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:15 PM

GREAT NEWS AND FOR ANYONE WHOSE PRINTER GETS DISCONNECTED FROM THE WIRELESS.......

SHUT DOWN YOUR INTERNET ROUTER, SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER AND PRINTER.

WAIT A FEW MINUTES AND RESTART YOUR ROUTER, THEN TURN ON YOUR COMPUTER, AND YOUR PRINTER, AND SET IT UP AGAIN, USE THE WIZARD IF YOU HAVE AN HP....

MINE i BELIEVE IS WORKING AGAIN, I HAVE TO WAIT AND INSERT A NEW COLOR CARTRIDGE AND WE'LL SEE....HOPEFULLY SHUTING DOWN THE ROUTER, DID THE TRICK, I'LL LET YA'LL KNOW, AND FOR NOW, THANKS AGAIN SO VERY MUCH

AND THANKS TO THE PERSON WHO GAVE ME A REP MESSAGE. GOTTCHA

Old 09-06-2023, 05:37 PM

It worked, Yeahhhhh, so if your printer disconnects from wifi, shut the router down, shut down your computer and your printer, and restart everything it might work for you as well.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
I go through a printer about every 5 years or so. I guess my biggest downfall is that when one goes, I still have oodles of ink cartridges left to be used. That is one factor from this pandemic in that I had to set up a supply line for that, too and now have a year supply of ink at current usage.

On that note, a question to ask and check on, for whatever printer you get, how much will you be paying in ink?

I guess I have been lucky, so far, for when I need a printer, I see if it is USB (what isn't these days but then again, with everything wifi, maybe......), will it print photos, and can it stand alone without the Net/wifi. Can it scan, can it fax (ancient I know but still a use).

Finally, if one is a babe in the woods, go to a Staples or Office Depot and make the sales man's eyes blink when you tell him how low tech you are. Ask your questions to a real person.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:09 AM
KCZ

4,682 posts, read 3,682,766 times
Quote:
well, it just started a few days ago, and get this, right before it disconnected from the Wifi, I got an error message stating the ink cartridges were not compatible, however, they were HP cartridges which are what I always use?

Crazy? I don't think 4 years is a long time for this printer to start with problems like this?

I have an HP Envy x360 laptop which I purchased maybe 5 years ago....and am wondering if there are printers out there that are not compatible to it?

HP wants to sell you ink. All their cartridges are embedded with an ID number, and the printer can detect that and send the ID back to HP. HP printers previously refused to work properly with third-party knock-off cartridges, but now they frequently won't work even if the cartridges are genuine but you bought them from Amazon or someplace and not from HP. You get an error message saying the ink isn't compatible. And it's a royal pain if HP enrolls you in their Instant Ink program but fails to send you ink when you need it because you can't buy a cartridge anywhere else that works.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
It worked, Yeahhhhh, so if your printer disconnects from wifi, shut the router down, shut down your computer and your printer, and restart everything it might work for you as well.

When we "IT People" tell you to reboot, it's because it does fix things.

(This is a temporary fix, I promise you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers