Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which DIY PC motherboard brand do you prefer?
Asus 4 36.36%
MSI 2 18.18%
Gigabyte 1 9.09%
ASRock 0 0%
ECS 0 0%
Biostar 1 9.09%
Other (specify) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 06:09 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

Preparing for my next desktop computer upgrade this year.

Specs for new build:
Motherboard - MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
GPU - MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
RAM - Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 32GB (2x16GB)
SSD - SK Hynix Platinum P41 1TB Gen4
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Cooling Fan

Will keep the existing Rosewill Bradley M case and eVGA SuperNova 850 P2 80+ Platinum power supply. Will also keep the secondary SK Hynix Gold S31 SATA SSD and the LG Blu-ray optical drive.

Motherboard, RAM, and CPU cooler have RGB lighting controls. Hopefully I can make them a nice shade of pink. I thought about buying a pink case but decided against it because I didn't want to overspend on my new build.

Our current system (Gigabyte Z370 HD3P with Intel Core i5-8600K) was built in 2018, with a GPU upgrade (MSI AMD Radeon RX 590 OC Armor) in 2019 and an SSD (SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB Gen3) upgrade in 2021.

So, how are these specs? Any comments or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 09:26 AM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
A general caution about AMD chips and their integrated rootkit, the Platform Security Processor (PSP)
Quote:
This is basically AMD’s own version of the Intel Management Engine. It has all of the same basic security and freedom issues, although the implementation is wildly different.

The Platform Security Processor (PSP) is built in on the AMD CPUs whose architecture is Late Family 16h (Puma), Zen 17h or later (and also on the AMD GPUs which are GCN 5th gen (Vega) or later). On the CPUs, a PSP controls the main x86 core startup. PSP firmware is cryptographically signed with a strong key similar to the Intel ME. If the PSP firmware is not present, or if the AMD signing key is not present, the x86 cores will not be released from reset, rendering the system inoperable.

The PSP is an ARM core with TrustZone technology, built onto the main CPU die. As such, it has the ability to hide its own program code, scratch RAM, and any data it may have taken and stored from the lesser-privileged x86 system RAM (kernel encryption keys, login data, browsing history, keystrokes, who knows!). To make matters worse, the PSP theoretically has access to the entire system memory space (AMD either will not or cannot deny this, and it would seem to be required to allow the DRM “features” to work as intended), which means that it has at minimum MMIO-based access to the network controllers and any other PCI/PCIe peripherals installed on the system.

In theory any malicious entity with access to the AMD signing key would be able to install persistent malware that could not be eradicated without an external flasher and a known good PSP image. Furthermore, multiple security vulnerabilities have been demonstrated in AMD firmware in the past, and there is every reason to assume one or more zero day vulnerabilities are lurking in the PSP firmware. Given the extreme privilege level (ring -2 or ring -3) of the PSP, said vulnerabilities would have the ability to remotely monitor and control any PSP enabled machine completely outside of the user’s knowledge.

Much like with the Intel Boot Guard (an application of the Intel Management Engine), AMD’s PSP can also act as a tyrant by checking signatures on any boot firmware that you flash, making replacement boot firmware (e.g. libreboot, coreboot) impossible on some boards. Early anecdotal reports indicate that AMD’s boot guard counterpart will be used on most OEM hardware, disabled only on so-called “enthusiast” CPUs.
My advice: Get away from x86 family architectures. It is increasingly riddled with peril.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:08 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
My advice: learn how to speak to end users. Do you think most people are going to understand any of that?
To someone that does understand it, it reads like BS conspiracy theory.

In theory, demonstrated in the past, theoretically....

Old 01-08-2024, 09:12 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My advice: learn how to speak to end users. Do you think most people are going to understand any of that?
To someone that does understand it, it reads like BS conspiracy theory.
Especially to someone who wrote this:
Quote:
Motherboard, RAM, and CPU cooler have RGB lighting controls. Hopefully I can make them a nice shade of pink. I thought about buying a pink case but...

(here is a pink smiley)

Old 01-08-2024, 10:10 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Not a bad build general build especially considering how the prices of GPUs have come down in recent months. You arent a gamer I presume? Me personally, I would opt out of AMD build as I much much prefer Intel chips.

Again, I'd swap out t he AMD chip and board and go with 12th Gen Intel (like what I have now in my gaming pc). Intel i9-12900k and an ASUS ROG motherboard (Strix or Maximus) would be my choice. Also, me personally, I'd add at least 2 SSD drives (Samsung EVO) for additional storage.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:29 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Not a bad build general build especially considering how the prices of GPUs have come down in recent months. You arent a gamer I presume? Me personally, I would opt out of AMD build as I much much prefer Intel chips.

Again, I'd swap out t he AMD chip and board and go with 12th Gen Intel (like what I have now in my gaming pc). Intel i9-12900k and an ASUS ROG motherboard (Strix or Maximus) would be my choice. Also, me personally, I'd add at least 2 SSD drives (Samsung EVO) for additional storage.
Nothing wrong with AMD, but I'd go with a 7000 series chip if I were going new, not a 5700x. AM4 is a dead socket.

That said, I went from a AMD 5900x to an Intel 13700K when I decided to go SFF (and then gave up on that), b/c there were no good ITX AM4 boards at the time. I wouldn't buy a 12th gen Intel right now - not because they're bad, but because they're going to be discontinued soon enough - unless you really want to use DDR4. I'd go with a 14th gen chip and leave it for the next couple years.

The Intel one is a bit faster than my 5900x was. DDR5 has tanked in price thankfully as well.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:06 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Preparing for my next desktop computer upgrade this year.

Specs for new build:
Motherboard - MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
GPU - MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
RAM - Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 32GB (2x16GB)
SSD - SK Hynix Platinum P41 1TB Gen4
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Cooling Fan

Will keep the existing Rosewill Bradley M case and eVGA SuperNova 850 P2 80+ Platinum power supply. Will also keep the secondary SK Hynix Gold S31 SATA SSD and the LG Blu-ray optical drive.

Motherboard, RAM, and CPU cooler have RGB lighting controls. Hopefully I can make them a nice shade of pink. I thought about buying a pink case but decided against it because I didn't want to overspend on my new build.

Our current system (Gigabyte Z370 HD3P with Intel Core i5-8600K) was built in 2018, with a GPU upgrade (MSI AMD Radeon RX 590 OC Armor) in 2019 and an SSD (SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB Gen3) upgrade in 2021.

So, how are these specs? Any comments or recommendations?
We just built one with similar specs, but only 16 GB memory. I was thinking of changing it to 32 GB, but it is working great as-is right now.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:58 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Update: I decided to buy a new case for my build, but it isn't pink. The case is the MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R. At least I can probably make the included fans pink using the MSI Mystic Light software. My new build should be ready this weekend.

I will instead be selling my old build as a complete system; I bought a less expensive lower-wattage power supply for it (650W 80+ Gold, instead of 850W 80+ Platinum).

Old 01-09-2024, 05:33 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
That case seems to have triple fan pre-installed in the front end which will prevent any optical drives to be installed. Perhaps you decided cough up another $20 and get an external optical drive?
If you really like pink that much, you could spray paint the case before installing any of the components in it.

I had done this way back when the PC cases always came with that boring beige color. I grabbed a neon orange spray can, scrub the case a bit then cleaned with alcohol and sprayed it.
It came out really nice. I placed a handle for easy carrying, also cut out circular holes on the side panel and installed fans, etc.
People at the LAN Gaming party were all freaking out (this was back in the late 90s, early 2000s).
Coincidence or not but within a few years, PC case with very similar modifications started to appear in the retail shops..

The attached image is the initial version which had just the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
About to do my next desktop build-p650.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 01-09-2024 at 05:44 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 05:46 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
I went with the same thing but at the last minute, I returned it and bought the tomahawk b650 so I could use Ryzen 7 and DDR5. I ruined to boards due to bending the pins in the cpu socket. I’ve been building computers for nearly 30 years and never did that before, this was my first AMD build and I am using for video editing. I cannot figure out what happened. I worked like a surgeon. The 3 pre one went fine but I did everything the same. Got 128 GB DDR ram. Two M.2 drives and 5 sata ssd drives and a sata BD RW. GeForce 3060 with 12 GB video Ram. Should hold me over for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers