Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 12:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I went from Vizio OLED to a LG QLED. It does happen. OLED, $1,200 TV..is now in my spare bedroom. Moral: don't buy Vizio. Trust me.
Was Vizio a smart TV or an actual computer monitor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 12:27 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Ha. I was going to share a link with you but it apparently isn't even sold anymore. It was a 55" Smart TV. And the picture IS excellent, but my god the problems we had with that TV. and I waited 10 MONTHS for a FW update to fix the TV. Turning it on was never easy to do.

Problem...after problem...
Plus it was never bright enough in our living room which gets flooded with sunlight during the day. I know all OLED's have issues in very bright places, but it was really bad on the Vizio.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/j784G9DnwPE

Old 01-23-2024, 03:16 PM

I, too, had a 32" Visio LCD TV and as a TV, it was OK but as a monitor it lacked the higher resolutions, refresh rate, etc.

Even though the newer ones are much more improved, I still think they make lousy computer monitors due to their lacking specs.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:16 PM

652 posts, read 682,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Good choice! How do you like it?

If you have a newer/powerful video card too make sure to use the best video cable available, like a DisplayPort 2.x or HDMI 2.x cable (I'd recommend DP 1.4 at a minimum)!

If interested read this article, especially the part with the headline: "DisplayPort vs. HDMI: The Bottom Line for Gamers" towards the very bottom.
I love it! I plan on getting a 2nd LG Ultragear 32" monitor in the near future. I'd like to have two identical monitors. Seems like displayport cable is better than HDMI for gaming? I'm currently using the HDMI cable. I don't have any issues playing games with it.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:25 AM

DP is better for 4K gaming when you use 2 monitors. But the difference is negligible. Certainly nothing you will see.

Old 01-25-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I love it! I plan on getting a 2nd LG Ultragear 32" monitor in the near future. I'd like to have two identical monitors. Seems like displayport cable is better than HDMI for gaming? I'm currently using the HDMI cable. I don't have any issues playing games with it.
For the same revision, DP is noticeably better and when you factor in the compatibility between the cable, monitor and the video card, the DP 1.4 is significantly safer and better than all HDMI revision except for HDMI 2.1
Then again, DP 2.1 beats HDMI 2.1 for compatibility and performance, mainly with high/higher end video cards.

Another variable is the resolution you use. There are some variables which makes it difficult to make any claims like "it would be very noticeable" or "you won't notice a difference.
You would have to review those variables in order to determine.
In a nutshell, if your HDMI cable is 5+ years old yet you are using a new/newer PC with a high-end video card and a larger 4K monitor, the cable is likely to be lacking.
Check the Display settings to see if you are able to get around at least 8-bit (color) depth with around 60 Hz refresh rate at the highest resolution the monitor can support.

It all boils down to what graphics/Video card you have and the HDMI cable you are using. If your cable is an HDMI 2.1 (4K or better support) then you should be OK otherwise you might wanna get something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Gaming monitor-display-properties.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 01-25-2024 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-25-2024, 07:41 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
Anyway, whats the best gaming monitors out there? I'd like to buy two of them. Thanks!
I've been thinking about upgrading my monitor now for a while. It is just too difficult of a decision. Do you go OLED? LED? 4k? What about refresh rate? Operating an RTX graphics card? Flat screen? Curved monitor? G-sync or Free-sync? It is just really tough to decide.

PC Gamer says Alienware is the best. RTings dot com says Dell. Others say ROG Swift. It just really depends on the games you play, your graphics card and your budget.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:40 AM

Yea, for sure. Too many choices. I just went to that NVIDIA page I shared earlier and then looked for something on that page that was in my price range.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yea, for sure. Too many choices. I just went to that NVIDIA page I shared earlier and then looked for something on that page that was in my price range.
I think that is the smartest way otherwise the search for the best monitor can quickly turn into a journey down the rabbit hole...

I was reading the different display types and their Pros/Cons info on this page until I started seeing purple monkeys on the walls.
Good grief!

Old 01-30-2024, 09:43 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
I just went through the page you shared and noticed a GREAT deal. The ASUS 27" 1440p PG27AQN is currently 15% off. Its now $880.00 new on Amazon. I may have to pull the trigger on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers