Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 AM

1,729 posts, read 5,000,975 times

Advertisements

WHAT IS A DEFAULT MAIL SERVER? I have a Vista Home Premium computer. I began to get pop ups when I went into some links that read: "default mailer not properly installed." So I could never get through some links. Therefore, I checked with a Verizon tech support, with a heavy accent. I wanted to keep Windows as my default mailer, even though my email account is with Yahoo. The Verizon tech changed everything around, now yahoo says that if I change it back to the way It was, I will loose all information and files on my account with them. Now, I cannot get into my Windows Mail, because I kept the account name and password I have with Yahoo. What do I do? Is it bad to keep Yahoo as my default mail server, or does Windows have to be it. I need help, and everytime I get one of those support techs on line, they change things around my computer for the worse. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,136,913 times
If you click on a link that's supposed to initiate sending an e-mail (a "mailto:" link), Windows will try to launch the default mail application and tell it to compose a new mail message addressed to the address in the mailto: link.

As far as I know, there's no way to configure it to launch a web browser, log into your mail account and click on the "compose" link. If you can access your Yahoo! mail with a standard mail client (I don't use Yahoo! mail, so I don't know if you can), then you can set up Outlook Express, Thunderbird or whatever client you have installed to work this way. If not, then you're going to have to live without. As a workaround, you can right-click the mailto: link, copy the link and then paste it into the "To:" field in your Yahoo! mail window (remembering to strip the "mailto:" from the beginning).

Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM

307 posts, read 1,182,065 times
To answer your first question. The default mail server is probably a reference to an smtp server you would be provided to use (an address like mail.<domian>.com) from your ISP. You would tell your email client (Outlook) to use that server to send messages to. That server would be responsible for routing those messages to other email servers.

When you use an email client or mobile devices for emailing, it's usually on a pop3 account.

I'm not sure if Yahoo provides this for free but I'd surprised if they didn't have a pay service. A standard Yahoo account is IMAP. I hear gmail uses pop3 for free. I could be wrong so someone feel free to correct me if I am.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM

307 posts, read 1,182,065 times
Ok I just looked it up. Yahoo offers a Yahoo Mail Plus service which provides POP access. You could use that for Outlook.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,139,008 times
Firefox once had an addon called WebMailCompose, but it doesn't work anymore. You could click on any email link and it would take you to compose. Somebody told me the workaround for it, but it's gotten lost in the shuffle. So I'm assuming you are running IE?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 AM

23,882 posts, read 33,614,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Therefore, I checked with a Verizon tech support, with a heavy accent.
When you got internet with Verizon, you also got email addresses (or 1) to use. You probably know your log in info such as user name & password.

Yahoo is most likely separate from Verizon. Yahoo is a web based email.

I never got into yahoo email. I dislike that you can't set it up in any email programs.

Your best bet is to use the Verizon email info
Verizon incoming mail server: incoming.verizon.net
Verizon outgoing mail server: outgoing.verizon.net

but if there is a reply to, type in your yahoo addy.

btw - after I typed this out I googled - you can try this for yahoo
Yahoo incoming mail server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Yahoo outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers