Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,188,881 times

Advertisements

But only if you want to pay extra for it. As in $12.95/month.

Don't believe it? Then click here!

From the article:

Quote:
Occasionally, "we've heard from customers that it's hard to understand a particular accent and that they couldn't understand the instructions they were getting," said Dell spokesman Bob Kaufman. "This illustrates Dell's commitment to customer choice."
My response: What ever happened to hiring people that could speak the language at least decently well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 AM

16,739 posts, read 15,747,697 times
Boo! Things don't need to be this way. If I (with a Dell Premiere Access account) can call and talk to a nice lady in Canada, why can't everybody else?

When I call for Lenovo warranty parts, I'm talking to somebody in Atlanta. However, one call tech was born in India, one in Kenya, but the one I talked with yesterday was from Montana.

Most of the people at HP have spoken in easily understandable English. I don't know where their call center is located.

It seems incredible to think a company would add a charge for using a call center.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,781,802 times
Hey, Dell!!

KMA!

Morons....

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,498,822 times
Isn't ironic that these big companies are bending over backwards to serve customers in the USA in foreign languages but are giving the finger to English speakers by making us deal with Apu?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,907,465 times
I can deal with an "accent." What I can't deal with is having to go through their blasted 15-step script, which I've already done, before I can speak with someone who is as technologically knowledgeable as I am.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I can deal with an "accent." What I can't deal with is having to go through their blasted 15-step script, which I've already done, before I can speak with someone who is as technologically knowledgeable as I am.
So true. I find any kind of Indian phone support whether its computer tech support or a bank's customer service line is no better than talking to a computer. They ask the same pointless questions over and over and never seem to really understand what you're saying to them.

Customer: "Hi, my computer doesn't turn on. There's no power, no LEDs lit on the motherboard, no beeps. I've verified that the outlet is live and the voltage selector is set properly. I think I have a faulty power supply."

"Bill": "Turn the computer on and press the F1 key."

Customer: "No, I already told you there's no power."

"Bill": "I cannot help you unless you turn your computer on and press F1."

Old 12-17-2008, 05:19 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,997,968 times
If you or wherever you work has purchased the gold support you never have to decipher engrish...in my experience at least. Nice folks that gold support. They'll even happily skip the script if you tell them what you've done to troubleshoot.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:58 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,907,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So true. I find any kind of Indian phone support whether its computer tech support or a bank's customer service line is no better than talking to a computer. They ask the same pointless questions over and over and never seem to really understand what you're saying to them.

Customer: "Hi, my computer doesn't turn on. There's no power, no LEDs lit on the motherboard, no beeps. I've verified that the outlet is live and the voltage selector is set properly. I think I have a faulty power supply."

"Bill": "Turn the computer on and press the F1 key."

Customer: "No, I already told you there's no power."

"Bill": "I cannot help you unless you turn your computer on and press F1."

Exactly Escape. And why do I always get a "Bill," "Joanne," "Christopher" or "Henry?"

"Bill:" Can you please identify the power cord and plug it into your computer?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,367,740 times
I'm at the point of losing all patience w/ Dell products! I'm really considering just selling my Dell laptop and getting a Macbook. even if I do end up paying more for the exact same equipment (maybe not, but that's a whole 'nother debate), I'll at least have the option of going to an Apple store for help, and I'd much rather stand in line at the Genius bar (or at my school's Apple store) than Dell w/ Dell customer service!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,824,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
But only if you want to pay extra for it. As in $12.95/month.

Don't believe it? Then click here!

From the article:

My response: What ever happened to hiring people that could speak the language at least decently well?
Come on now, if you dont know the only thing that matters is making $$$$$. Hiring decent english speakers costs money and these CEOs need to pay for their bentleys and maybachs that are worth more than some modest homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers