Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:57 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Yep, just tried it. No sudden shutdown. Heat MUST be the issue. Other than a portable fan blowing into the computer with side off, any way to fix this?
You need to determine if all of the case fans are working right.

Then, look to see if there are fans in every spot that is stamped out in the case. If not, you might be able to add fans.

Those are the easiest. The next is to consider replacing the fan on the processor.

Have you looked on the HP forum to see if others are having the same problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
If it were me, I'd replace the CPU thermal paste.

I betcha that the factory application is pretty dried up and not doing a good enough job.

In case you didn't know as a precaution: Before "pulling up" the heatsink after unlatching it twist the heatsink to either direction (which should be very little movement in either direction while in the heatsink holder on the motherboard) while it's sitting on top of the processor so that in case it's stuck like glue to the bottom of the heatsink that you won't be pulling/yanking the processor out of its socket forcefully when taking out the heatsink.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:04 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
If it were me, I'd replace the CPU thermal paste.

I betcha that the factory application is pretty dried up and not doing a good enough job.

In case you didn't know as a precaution: Before "pulling up" the heatsink after unlatching it twist the heatsink to either direction (which should be very little movement in either direction while in the heatsink holder on the motherboard) while it's sitting on top of the processor so that in case it's stuck like glue to the bottom of the heatsink that you won't be pulling/yanking the processor out of its socket forcefully when taking out the heatsink.
It all depends on how technical the OP is.
I don't suggest anyone do this themselves as they can break pins on the processor if they don't know what they are doing.
If the processor is stuck on the heat sink fan, it will just pull out with it and could cause damage.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It all depends on how technical the OP is.
I don't suggest anyone do this themselves as they can break pins on the processor if they don't know what they are doing.
If the processor is stuck on the heat sink fan, it will just pull out with it and could cause damage.
This is very very true!

I can do it easily (almost with my eyes closed - lol!) but don't know the OP's technical level as you said.

Have a Happy and Safe 4th!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
I had the same problem with my HP Pavilion a6110n desktop. The fan was almost always running, and the CPU meter was often redlining, even when I wasn't doing anything to strain the system. Then I went to install Vista Service Pack 2, and the computer shut down during the installation and I had both a hardware and software problem to deal with. So I went out and bought a new computer.

On NHDave's advice, I opened it (the HP) up and checked for dust on the CPU heatsink. There was some dust and cleaning it up got the computer running again well enough to do a system restore. I've got Vista reinstalled and it runs well enough now that I could use it for a spare for internet access. But the fan still runs a lot more than it should. This computer (the HP) is only 1 1/2 years old. This is the first computer that I ever bought--we used to refurbish slightly obsolete dumpster dived computers--and I'm kinda dissappointed. I hope my new one (a Gateway LX6810-01) lasts for a few years.

And thank you, NHDave, for the advice. At least I have a spare now.

Last edited by Ellise; 07-05-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,286 times
In case you haven't solved this I had some luck today. I saw your post when looking into this issue because I was having the exact same problem for many weeks. My case appeared very dust free inside. But upon removing the processor fan, I found that the cooling fins were almost completely blocked with dust. It would be difficult to see this without actually removing the cooling assembly (heat sink and fan) because of the obscured view when it is installed. I cleaned the cooling fan and heat sink with compressed air and reinstalled (the thermal paste was in fair condition and I do not have any on hand so I did not replace it). Now the fans runs almost silently and the computer actually seems faster (semiconductor performance is temperature dependent). The machine has been running now for hours no problem and no high speed fan noise. The case is warm but not as hot as it was before the cleaning. Hope this helps. By the way, HP online help chat help basically accused me of getting spyware infections and installing freeware viruses. Dorks.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
I didnt read through all the posts so my question would be, did you determine the shutdown was due to overheating? If not, then i think you should check your temps first before replacing any fans or think about doing anything inside your pc

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,149 times
My s3027c shuts down without warning too, unless you call the internal fan spinning wildly as a warning.

I'm thinking that my issue is either too much heat or a bad power supply unit though it is harder to troubleshoot the psu. Even if I replaced the psu with another "new" one, I'm not seeing any posts anywhere that say that's the silver bullet. I'd hate to plunk down serious cash on a new hp proprietary psu to find out the problem still exists.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times
my problem is still not resolved. the hp tech folks were useless. anyway, i now have the cover off the pc and a fan blowing directly into it. the auto showdown still happens albeit less frequently.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
my problem is still not resolved. the hp tech folks were useless. anyway, i now have the cover off the pc and a fan blowing directly into it. the auto showdown still happens albeit less frequently.

Ok so what are your temperatures? Video and cpu?

You can check the temps

How to check CPU temperature? - CNET Windows Vista Forums

I had a problem of my desktop shutting down and finally fixed it by taking off the cpu fan, cleaning off the thermal compound, putting new compound on and making sure the fan was attached correctly to the cpu. If its not attached correctly which my problem, it wont cool properly and the cpu chip will get very hot and shut your pc down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers