Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Version of Windows?
Windows 7 21 42.00%
Windows Vista 4 8.00%
Windows XP 23 46.00%
Windows Millenium Edition (Me) 1 2.00%
Windows 2000 9 18.00%
Windows 98 3 6.00%
Windows NT 4.0 1 2.00%
Windows 95 1 2.00%
Windows NT 3.x 1 2.00%
Windows 3.x/WFWG 3.x 3 6.00%
Windows 2.x 1 2.00%
Windows 1.x 2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:00 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Well, I finally decided to cast my vote for Windows XP. So far, I think it has performed the best of all the versions I've used. In addition, it worked well enough to provide an easy enough interface to get a lot more people using computers.

That being said, a number of versions of Windows have something important to contribute to the development of the systems we now use.

First, Windows 3.1 made it possible for people to use a computer easily enough to make it a common item. The "killer app" in my opinion was PowerPoint. I had used versions prior to this but found that they had almost no real purpose.

Windows 95 made it easy enough to network computers that people could do it themselves. That was a major step forward. Since that happened shortly after the inception of the World Wide Web and the Mosiac browser, everybody started to want Internet access. Windows 98 fixed and improved on so many things over Windows 95 that it should not be overlooked. Overlook Windows ME; it was a marketing ploy by Microsoft that failed miserably.

We really should not overlook the importance of the release of Windows NT. This brought a new file system that included security features, something that is still in use. The OS itself was so buggy that many technicians were gainfully employed to keep businesses running.

Windows 2000 was the most stable OS Microsoft had released to that time. It may have been a little slow to start up, but it would run on a fairly modest platform, and it rarely crashed. It provided the basis for:

Windows XP, like earlier versions, needed time to mature. By the time SP2 was released, the driver database was fully developed, so people were able to easily install it on existing hardware. Unfortunately, Microsoft came to assume that everybody had vast amounts of RAM and high powered processors, so computers advanced to needing more and more power just to run reasonably well.

Vista was a train wreck. People had upgraded to XP with relative ease and expected to be able to do this with Vista. Vista got such a bad rap from the issues with drivers that it was doomed.

Windows 7 has been as thoroughly tested as virtually any product in history. I think it will be used as widely as XP, and probably for as long. Some Enterprise users decided long ago to skip Vista and adopt 7 shortly after release. When it is in widespread use at work, people will want it at home too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
When it is in widespread use at work, people will want it at home too.
I think it will actually work the other way. Businesses move far slower with operating system changes. Consumers on the other hand get Win 7 on every computer sold today. They will use it, like it, and will wonder why corporate IT is taking so long to adopt it.

Most larger businesses will install XP Pro on the computers they buy from Dell or HP. Microsoft will be working hard to get companies to move to Win 7. I expect we'll see wide corporate adoption later in 2010 - probably with new computer purchases.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:26 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
That being said, a number of versions of Windows have something important to contribute to the development of the systems we now use.
Yours is a very nice summary, as long as it's understood that it represents the development of those features inside of Microsoft's specific ecosystem, and not their general development inside the realm of either home or business computing.

Quote:
When it is in widespread use at work, people will want it at home too.
Not in our environment. We may see it allowed to access the corporate network in six months or a year, but until then I fully expect to see Windows XP as the only version of Windows certified to run on company hardware.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
..... Not in our environment. We may see it allowed to access the corporate network in six months or a year, but until then I fully expect to see Windows XP as the only version of Windows certified to run on company hardware.
We, as techs, were given permission to run the Beta version of 7 on our work computers. Yesterday, we were told to install it on our work computers if we haven't already done so. Obviously, we're moving to Windows 7.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
We, as techs, were given permission to run the Beta version of 7 on our work computers. Yesterday, we were told to install it on our work computers if we haven't already done so. Obviously, we're moving to Windows 7.
Some companies are more willing to do that than others, obviously.

I suspect we're somewhat more conservative than many due to the nature of our business and the externally-mandated security requirements that we have for our entire network infrastructure.

Folks here interpret VISA PCI compliance rather aggressively, for example.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Usually - the larger the company, the slower they move to a new desktop OS. Too many computers, too many humans to retrain, too many pieces of software to test.

A company might be ready for Windows 7 - but an important app like Siebel or Oracle might not be certified until 2011. That could hold things up for ages.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
If my personal experience is any indication.............Win7 will blow out Vista in a matter of months IMHO.

As for XP: again going by my own (Win7) situation............its time has come and gone----------but, it will outlast Vista by far.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Most larger businesses will install XP Pro on the computers they buy from Dell or HP.
It still is the OS of choice for industrial/engineering software. At least until Windows 7 is proven to be equally compatible and supportive, if and when that happens.

Last edited by phoenix_talons; 12-09-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
I'm currently using Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit (I got free from a Microsoft event wee!) and I've used the beta and the RC and it was awesome a year ago!

I may sound like a MS fanboy, but really they've done such a good job with Win 7. XP is still good especially with Windows Fundamentals (that boots older machines in literally 10 seconds). But the improved aero interface and taskbar of Win 7 are just awesome.

Prior to this I was triple booting Ubuntu 9.04, XP and Windows 7 RC. Now its just Windows 7.

I have had some problems that would have turned off some people (like my firewire device only working under legacy mode) however, for most people, email, webbrowsing, word processing, etc., it will do just fine.

Off topic, one thing I am dissapointed is that most people will experience Win 7 with a new machine. An HP or Dell, unfortunately those are filled with bloatware that make even a machine with 4GB of ram sluggish. And that's unfortunate if that's your first experience with the OS.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
mensaguy - That's a great assessment! I agree with you on pretty much everything.....with one minor exception:

NT buggy? In my experience, NT was more stable in every imaginable way. Early versions really suffered from limited driver support and some minor software compatibility issues (for instance, NT 3.x could run 16-bit IE5, but not the vastly superior 32-bit version), but had hardly any other problems right from the beginning. Microsoft eventually abandoned the Win9x model entirely when XP launched and it was the right move. IMO, they should have skipped Win98 & Me altogether and solely developed the NT4 model instead.

Also, I think you might be mixing up Millenium Edition & 2000......Me was the one that had crazy startup times (amongst several other problems!!)

Otherwise, you hit the nail on the head. Windows 95 & 98 ended up being the butt of a lot of jokes, but that was also during a time where millions of people who had never once used a computer were unleashed on an even more spyware & virus filled, AOL-centric internet than we have now. In reality, with a little tweaking and proper maintenance, those operating systems are still usable even now.

I'm happy to see so many people voted for Windows 7! Personally, I haven't used it at all yet but it's nice to see Microsoft get it "right" right off the bat for a change. I haven't heard any negativity towards 7 from anyone, even people who are dedicated PC haters. In a couple years, when I finally upgrade to a new system I'll be looking forward to using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers