Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,334,278 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I don't know much about the technical aspects of computers, and I might have a virus or something. Anyway, an IT acquaintance of mine agreed to check it out for me this weekend for free. I had some embarrassing stuff, both on the internet and on the desktop, that I deleted or cleared before. I also cleared the recycling bin. But I know it's not completely cleared off the hard drive or something? The stuff is nothing illegal, but I would still be mortified if this acquaintance could see some of this while going through my hard drive. Is there a way to completely clear all that history of my computer for good?

I would appreciate any help. If it was any other IT person that I was paying I wouldn't care, but being as I know this guy and I will see him again, I really don't wanna embarrass myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,866,474 times
For the types of files you're worried about*, once you've moved them to the trash and then emptied the recycle bin, they can't be recovered without a special undelete utility. Your acquaintance will not be using such a utility to fix your computer's problem, so you're probably safe there.

What you do need to do though is make sure you've deleted your browsing history, cookies, and browser cache, for all of the web browsers you use. You might also want to delete form auto-complete data.

In Internet Exploer, select Tools->Delete Browsing History..., and select everything under the separation line (don't preserve anything), and click "Delete".

In Firefox, select Tools->Clear Recent History..., select everything for the Time range "Everything" and click "Clear Now".

If you've bookmarked any embarassing web sites, you should remove those bookmarks.

*The system restore feature can recover certain types of file residing in certain system directories, but the files of yours that are potentially embarrassing wouldn't be files that system restore protects.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:08 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,628,544 times
Download and use CCleaner: CCleaner - Home. It will not only clear your history and recycle bin but will also delete temp files that are used by flash videos.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Download and use CCleaner: CCleaner - Home. It will not only clear your history and recycle bin but will also delete temp files that are used by flash videos.
Does this wipe off or damage anything else on my computer?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,200,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Does this wipe off or damage anything else on my computer?
No, its a pretty basic cleaner program used by many, not much unlike Window Washer and similar programs. It clears browser cache, temp files, recent documents, memory dumps, clip board, as well as windows and application tracks.

In my opinion it is a pretty compact, lightweight and safe program to use for people who don't wish to manually clean all these locations.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,950,226 times
Remember that IE keeps a log file that is not deleted by its built-in "clear history" functions. CCleaner will delete that log file. But remember too that a deleted file is not really gone. Windows just puts up a sign where it is that says "This space for rent" so it can write another file there.

Firefox does not use a log file.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
(After you delete everything)

In Ccleaner look at the menus on the left.

Click on Options and then Settings. On the right click on the radio button for Secure file deletion and from the drop down list choose Gutman (35 passes).

Now click on the Cleaner icon to the left and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list. Place a check mark in Wipe free space.

Run Ccleaner and expect to wait a long time for it to finish. Your friend won't see anything.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-15-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Added first line, fixed spelling

Old 01-15-2010, 11:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,674,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Another good idea is to go the the flash player settings manager to delete sites visited that used flash player. This web page will bring up the settings manager for your computer on the web page.

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Website Storage Settings panel

Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,000,091 times
Default Incompatibility?

I have a Windows Vista disc cleaner in my computer. Would CCcleaner be incompatible with this, and will I have to add it to the list of programs, so Windows Defender allow it in? Thank you,

Old 01-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers