Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

I feel a bit sheepish asking, but I cannot for the life of me find the files I've installed using XP Mode. When I'm in XP Mode they are right in front of me. When I go back to Windows 7 I cannot find them, and I think I should be able to.

Has anyone been through this and figured it out?

I'll bet they're right in front of me and I'm being slow.

Google was no help (or I Googled the wrong thing).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
I don't use XP Mode, but I'm guessing it creates one giant file that is used to contain the entire file system visible to the virtual machine (that's what just about every other virtualization product does). There may be a utility to "mount" the file system image and make it visible as a drive letter to your Windows 7 machine. Kind of the same idea as the image files that Norton Ghost creates. Look for files > 2GB in size.

Found this:

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 02-04-2010 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Added image

Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 PM

Figures. I went right by it. Thank you.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I don't use XP Mode, but I'm guessing it creates one giant file that is used to contain the entire file system visible to the virtual machine (that's what just about every other virtualization product does). There may be a utility to "mount" the file system image and make it visible as a drive letter to your Windows 7 machine. Kind of the same idea as the image files that Norton Ghost creates. Look for files > 2GB in size.

Found this:
Yes, the VHD file is the virtual hard drive. MS Virtual PC and Server 08's Hyper-V have been using these for a while now. Windows 7 native disk management utility can mount these as drive letters.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM

My concern is backing up data stored in it. I'm going to try to convince the old programs to store the data on Win 7 and install on XP Mode. One already balked about using a network drive for installing. Perhaps it has the option of changing the default location of the data files.

I have versions of the same tax program from 1995 through 2009 that have to be on a Windows 7 PC. Pain in the butt. You wouldn't believe some of the hoops I'm having to jump through to get these installed.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, the VHD file is the virtual hard drive. MS Virtual PC and Server 08's Hyper-V have been using these for a while now. Windows 7 native disk management utility can mount these as drive letters.
That sounds interesting. If I do so will the data be seen directly from Win7?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That sounds interesting. If I do so will the data be seen directly from Win7?
Yep, just like mounting a USB drive. Of course, XP Mode can't be running while Win7 mounts the VHD file. You have your choice of mounting it read-only or read/write. As far as backup, the beauty of virtualization is that you can just snag a copy of the entire VHD file and there's a complete image backup in case something goes badly inside the virtual machine.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My concern is backing up data stored in it. I'm going to try to convince the old programs to store the data on Win 7 and install on XP Mode. One already balked about using a network drive for installing. Perhaps it has the option of changing the default location of the data files.

I have versions of the same tax program from 1995 through 2009 that have to be on a Windows 7 PC. Pain in the butt. You wouldn't believe some of the hoops I'm having to jump through to get these installed.
VMWare Workstation claims to be able to take a running Windows system on a network and create a virtual machine clone of it. I've never tried this feature, but if it works, it would save you the trouble of reinstalling all of your programs under Virtual PC. I imagine the way it works is to completely clone the system, and then make the necessary config changes required so it will boot and run on the virtual machine. I'm sure you will need to reactivate the cloned OS running in the virtual machine, so it's best if you have a volume license and your own activation server or a MSDN subscription.

I didn't bother with this because I was able to boot my old XP system on my new Core i7 hardware (old system was C2D E6600 on P965 motherboard, new system was Core i7 920 on X58 motherboard). I actually did this by accident, but since the HALs matched (both used multiprocessor ACPI HAL), it booted, and just identified all the hardware on the first boot. All I had to do was add missing drivers and it's been running fine since. I know everyone says you should at least do a repair install at minimum, and preferably a fresh install, but it worked for me, and I saved myself many hours. I still have the old system, and re-activating the old OS on the new hardware is no problem because I have a MSDN subscription. It does have the disadvantage that I have to boot one or the other - maybe I'll try the VMWare cloning operation in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers