Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM

90 posts, read 299,612 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Fairfield, we love our neighbors and our neighborhood but the people behind us have roosters. They scream all day which is annoying but I can live with it....but yesterday I just about had it when I was jolted awake at 5:45 on a Sunday morning by them. We don't live in a rural area and are not sure why our neighbors (who are otherwise nice) have these things in such a dense neighborhood. What should we do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Roosters in Fairfield? Really? I am pretty sure there are noise ordinances that limit this. You might want to contact the police department and discuss what your options are. Jay

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Will the police disclose the name of those who filed the complaint?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM

If you file a complaint, I believe it can be made public. Jay

Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanks, they only have two by what I can see but they only have 1/4 of an acre of land. They are LOUD!!! I am going to look at any noise ordinance and just call stop over for a visit if there is one. If I look like a bad neighbor then who cares. If I'm spending 350k on a house in a quiet suburb I think I deserve a little P and Q! Ill just have to be friendly about it and maybe they can understand.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
I would talk to them first, and ask if they could put the rooster in a medium sized dog cage and train it not to crow (apparently using corn as a reward, the dog cage doesn't allow them to fully spread out so they can crow physically from what I understand). They are probably reasonable and will take into consideration your complaint.

What you "deserve," ehhh I'm really not too sure. Fairfield isn't just a "quiet suburb" it's a community: you have your wish for peace and quiet and they have their wish to keep livestock. Ask them first, if you can't reach a mutually beneficial solution see what the law and zoning regs say. Good luck though!

~Cheers

Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
We just moved to Fairfield, we love our neighbors and our neighborhood but the people behind us have roosters. They scream all day which is annoying but I can live with it....but yesterday I just about had it when I was jolted awake at 5:45 on a Sunday morning by them. We don't live in a rural area and are not sure why our neighbors (who are otherwise nice) have these things in such a dense neighborhood. What should we do??
You must be talking about the house, I think it's on Coleman Street? I've walked by that place all the time (I live in the neighborhood) and hear those things crowing at all hours of the day. I think other people have complained, with no luck. They keep them locked up in some cages on the side of the house... Thankfully I live a couple of streets over and can't hear them, but I know another neighbor of theirs who is unhappy about it.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM

418 posts, read 1,410,341 times
Check the zoning ordinance as well as the noise ordinance. It is unlikely that roosters would be allowed in residential neighborhood on such a small lot. You can call anyone in the planning and zoning department to ask for help interpreting the regulations.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
Dont worry, hawks will be around soon enough and take care of the problem... Our neighbor, when I was growing up had roosters as well (special ones, imported from Poland!) These things were huge and would jump on our deck and crow their fool heads off in the morning! Hawks came around and started picking them off one by one...

Old 06-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
You must be talking about the house, I think it's on Coleman Street? I've walked by that place all the time (I live in the neighborhood) and hear those things crowing at all hours of the day. I think other people have complained, with no luck. They keep them locked up in some cages on the side of the house... Thankfully I live a couple of streets over and can't hear them, but I know another neighbor of theirs who is unhappy about it.
We have good friends that live very near Coleman. I am going ask them about it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut